• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm thinking to give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marco
Ciao everyone,
I breed birds for 22 years; the birds(in particular the parrots) are the animals that I prefer;
I take care of them for so many time that I have the feeling that I'm able to whisper them and I feel ,in some circumstance, they are able to speak to me;

I have a stunning wife and 3 amazing sons, however I consider my birds just as members of my family;
I relax everytime I'm with them and they are able to transfer to me their love everytime I stay with them;

Long story short,my amount of work hours is exponentially increased, so I can elapse always less time together my birds, since I want to assure to my sons and my wife as more time as I can.
I already have decreased the number of my birds from 40 to 20; I have found a safe home for them; It's sure!
I have removed all the nests to avoid feathered babies can be born again.

But I'm not happy..they need more and more attentions and I feel that (in this moment of my life) I'm not able to assure them the correct time that they would need;
I'm thinking,I can't take care of them anymore;
Thus I'm splitted in two parts!! a part that says to me to give up on them for love and a selfish part of myself that advises me to continue to keep them;
Really It's a hard decision but I'm going to convince me that the best choice is to give up on them.
What should I do?
How can I renounce forever of their presence?
I never thought in past to live my life without them because I knew and I know that It would provoke a vacuum which would be impossible to fill.

[video=youtube;ijtJ2GVNBxA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijtJ2GVNBxA&feature=plcp&noredirect=1[/video]

P.S:I apologize whether I wrote a book rather than a post but I'm struggling with myself to take the best option.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I understand how you feel, however, with a flock of 20 I would think they would enjoy each other and not be lonely. It would be far worse to have one lone little guy than having a beautiful flock that had each other and still got some of your attention daily. We all go through times where the working life overwhelms our leisure time. If it's the sheer amount of cleaning/feeding/cleaning time that is too much, perhaps you could hire somebody to come in a couple days a week to help. Having a structured schedule helps also, so that you can plan events with your human family and also with your feathered fids.

Ginger

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I think you are on the right track, stopping breeding and reducing the numbers. What if you reduced more and just kept a few? That would cut down on the work involved in taking care of them, they would still have each others' company and you could still enjoy them.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think the idea of getting help is a good one. This person could be a volunteer that you teach. We need more young people interested in parrot care for the future. Even 20 birds can be overwhelming. Downsizing is a very good idea - maybe just keep the ones that are so attached to you and you to them. I know that decision would be difficult for you to choose. If you find good homes for them you will feel better about the whole thing.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Marc

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marco
Grazie ragazzi per i vostri preziosi consigli (thanks guys for your precious advices)..

I will follow the advice of decreasing the number the birds in my flock, thus I'm looking for finding sure homes for my feathered friends;
thanks everyone for your help;

It would be fantastic to have a similar forum in Italy too...

Status
Not open for further replies.