• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm considering adding another Ekkie to my flock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
I put a deposit down on a male SI eclectus who hatched 11/16 (most of you have seen pics of my baby Wasabi <3) I visit him every day. He's from my friend's pair of Ekkies and I know several people who have Ekkies out of this pair, and they're wonderful. Well, while I was visiting my boy I learned my friend is expecting to get a female baby (about the same age as my boy) from her friend. Am I crazy for wanting to buy her?! I'd love to have 2 ekkies the same age together, male and female. They would be able to grow up together in the same cage at my friends, while they are weaning, and eventually move into the cage at home together (thankfully its a large cage). Also, the Ekkies that had my boy are on eggs again, and they might have a female, in their 2 eggs right now. They are due to hatch this week, so I wouldn't know the gender for another 4 weeks or so, but I'm leaning towards getting a female from a different pair, so they are not siblings.
2 can't be much harder than 1 Ekkie :) Right?!?!

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Actually, I would NEVER recommend getting a female with a male unless you want to breed.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) oooh... don't know much about Ekkies but... I will stay tuned to this thread because I'm sure the "experienced" ekkie owners will definitely chime in.:)

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
Actually, I would NEVER recommend getting a female with a male unless you want to breed.
I'm not opposed to it. My husband and I are looking into buying some land, and I work from home, so a small breeding operation could work.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Male and female in same cage will result in mating but i have male and female electus that play together everyday...have had them for 6, 9 and 11yrs just today all my Ekies were out playing and when i walk by my males are always together my females kinda doing their own thing(eating)and foraging but my males feeding each other..and feeding the grey...so really if you want a friend for your ekie another male will get along just as well.....females have a totaly different personalty...

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Sorry ..i do agree...if your not careful it will happen...my males and females only get together to play no cages together....

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Sorry ..i do agree...if your not careful it will happen...my males and females only get together to play no cages together....
I agree with both. I have a female Ekkie and she WANTS Malachi and he isn't even another Ekkie!! I would love to have a Male Ekkie but they would have to be no where near each other because I do NOT want them breeding.

DutchHillAviary

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
I would say a male and female are OK, but NOT caged together...seperate cages..but they can be out together would be fine...as long as they don't bond to each other...you want to give each some quality time with their humans.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I would say a male and female are OK, but NOT caged together...seperate cages..but they can be out together would be fine...as long as they don't bond to each other...you want to give each some quality time with their humans.
See, I guess that is why I state that *I* would never have a male and a female. I love my boys and having a female would completely change our relationship. I don't believe in breeding because there are SO many unwanted parrots, so it would be an exercise in frustration for all parties.

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
I put a deposit down on a male SI eclectus who hatched 11/16 (most of you have seen pics of my baby Wasabi <3) I visit him every day. He's from my friend's pair of Ekkies and I know several people who have Ekkies out of this pair, and they're wonderful. Well, while I was visiting my boy I learned my friend is expecting to get a female baby (about the same age as my boy) from her friend. Am I crazy for wanting to buy her?! I'd love to have 2 ekkies the same age together, male and female. They would be able to grow up together in the same cage at my friends, while they are weaning, and eventually move into the cage at home together (thankfully its a large cage). Also, the Ekkies that had my boy are on eggs again, and they might have a female, in their 2 eggs right now. They are due to hatch this week, so I wouldn't know the gender for another 4 weeks or so, but I'm leaning towards getting a female from a different pair, so they are not siblings.
2 can't be much harder than 1 Ekkie :) Right?!?!
My suggestion is to do some more research on Eclectus before you do this. There is a HUGE difference between males and females and how they live in the wild. The males usually hang together and forage for food, which they take to the females who live in hollow trees. They do NOT live together. The females are very territorial as a rule and usually do not want another bird in their 'space'. They have been known to fight to the death to defend their tree (and in your home that would be their cage). AS A RULE females are more hormonally aggressive than males. There are a few females that are as sweet as can be, but the majority of them do not act like the males. I know this from personal experience, and from reading lots of emails from other members of TEC, the email list. If you want to get advice from other experienced Ekkie owners, you can go to www.parrottalk.com and look up the lists to find The Eclectus Connection. Letting them grow up together does not guarantee that they will like or even tolerate each other. If you do want a female as well as a male, I would definitely have separate cages and allow them to have a community space to play together until you know they want to be mates/friends.

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey

My suggestion is to do some more research on Eclectus before you do this. There is a HUGE difference between males and females and how they live in the wild. The males usually hang together and forage for food, which they take to the females who live in hollow trees. They do NOT live together. The females are very territorial as a rule and usually do not want another bird in their 'space'. They have been known to fight to the death to defend their tree (and in your home that would be their cage). AS A RULE females are more hormonally aggressive than males. There are a few females that are as sweet as can be, but the majority of them do not act like the males. I know this from personal experience, and from reading lots of emails from other members of TEC, the email list. If you want to get advice from other experienced Ekkie owners, you can go to www.parrottalk.com and look up the lists to find The Eclectus Connection. Letting them grow up together does not guarantee that they will like or even tolerate each other. If you do want a female as well as a male, I would definitely have separate cages and allow them to have a community space to play together until you know they want to be mates/friends.
That makes sense. I do have the ability to get a double stacked cage (heck, I have 8 parrots and they all live in the same room, so some of them live in a double) and I can upgrade one of the others cages at the same time, so they don't have to live together in my home. I thought they might prefer it, but after reading, I suppose not.

Linda Martin

Checking out the neighborhood
I agree with Janet too. If you have a good thing going with your eclectus now, why risk creating problems? I like the girls too but I joined The Eclectus Connection and I think the folks on that list saved me a lot of worry. Three members warned me that I might get double trouble instead of double the pleasure, and I have learned so much from them. I had a hard time joining but I'm glad I kept trying. The owner registered me as soon as I wrote to her. I think this is her address Carolyn@Landfvos.com or maybe .net but if it bounces you can look it up at landofvos.com.

I'm new on this forum and I like what I'm reading. Thank you for letting me join you.

Linda & Kiwi, Solomon island boy

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hey, Linda. It's nice to have your join us. When you get a minute stop in to Welcome Lane and tell us a little about yourself and your flock.
LOV is considered by many to be the 'ekkie bible'. Carolyn in very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.