• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm a little concerned

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I'm new here and i wanna ask something about my bird if anyone can explain me something or try to help me.

I have a parrot and since the end of 2021 out of nowhere he's been acting strange. He's been putting his beak slightly open on the floor, he spreads his legs (also on the floor), he makes weird noises almost like gagging noises and he's back keeps going up and down and it happens at least once or twice a day and there are days that it doesnt happen at all.

at first we thought maybe it could be he's food, maybe is because he eats his food mostly on the floor (because he likes to), but now we have no idea!

i could take him to a vet but i live in a place where we don't have any vet for birds, only cats and dog and they refuse to take a look on him and idk what to do anymore.

Can anyone help me??

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
More info would be helpfull type of parrot,cage set up,diet etc.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sharing a video of what you are seeing would be very helpful. You can share footage by posting it on FB, Instagram, Youtube etc and then sharing a link here.

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
More info would be helpfull type of parrot,cage set up,diet etc.
It's an Amazon Parrot and the cage its just a standard one not too big and not too small because he's a free bird he uses the cage just to eat, drink water and sleep and inside there's a bowl of food and water and a calcium block and wood so he can stand there when he's sleeping or something, his diet has a few fruits and vegetables and the food itself its "parrot food" with a few seeds we buy at the pet store, usually we keep him at our living room but he can walk freely in the entire house and sometimes we put him outside so he can get some fresh air. Sorry if there's any detail missing

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I may be way off base here, but could the bird be masturbating? I apologize if I misread the post.

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
Sharing a video of what you are seeing would be very helpful. You can share footage by posting it on FB, Instagram, Youtube etc and then sharing a link here.
I'll try to record, it's not easy for me because everytime i see my parrot doing that i just freak out and i want to help him but I'll try to record and share

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
I may be way off base here, but could the bird be masturbating? I apologize if I misread the post.
I don't think so, it looks like something similar to a choking and at first i really thought he was choking i even got a lot of different brands of food to see if he would get better, i tried to take off some very small seed that was in most of the food i got because i thought he was just eating too fast or something but today he wasn't eating anything and he did this thing again

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I really think a video is the best way for anyone here to help you properly.

Have you seen regurgitation? I am wondering if it is that maybe but you did not mention any head bobbing which leaves me a tad confused at what you are seeing.

How do you help your bird when you see it doing this thing that has you concerned?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
yes, please post a video. There's a lot of folks here with Amazon experience but we really need video to imagine the behavior.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
My first thought was he was regurgitating from the description.
Will wait to see video.