• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If only I could afford this cage...and a bigger house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
I have a hard time believing they paid 10K for that cage unless they were robbed. That does not appear to be anywhere near 8' long - sorry. It looks to be somewhat longer than my double macaw, but not almost twice the size as seen here. You can get a brand new stainless steel double macaw cage for 64" wide for $2500 or 80" wide for $3500.

Attachments

pineview01

I have a hard time believing they paid 10K for that cage unless they were robbed. That does not appear to be anywhere near 8' long - sorry. It looks to be somewhat longer than my double macaw, but not almost twice the size as seen here. You can get a brand new stainless steel double macaw cage for 64" wide for $2500 or 80" wide for $3500.
The ad says the photo isn't showing the whole cage. It must have sections that the had to take out and it is also 48" deep.(at least that is the shortest the site shows.

Where are you finding the 80' SS double macaw cage? That is what I am wanting with a dome. I have found the 64". I sure could use the help.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is the one thing that bugs me about my 1 1/4". It is so annoying, I have to change 90%+ of the washers on perches that I buy, and those that come with big enough washers have tended to bend when tightened because they were thinner (sorry, just had to complain a bit :p)

I am also curious about your choice of bar spacing, Saemma. Maybe you can help me see a good side to this cage of mine that I find so annoying most days... darn washers (yeah, I have bought extra ss that are big enough, but I always tend to misplace them :rolleyes: )

You guys bring up good points about the size of the washers and all. I had not thought about that and will have to do some investigating of my own to see how complicated it will be for me to purchase hardware for my bar spacing but I have a feeling it won't be that hard. :)
The reason why I would like to provide larger bar spacing for my Emma is because I prefer giving her a better view from inside the cage when she spends time there. Neither of my parrots are cagefree 24 hours a day so yes, there are times when they must spend it in their cages and I'd like the experience to be as pleasant as I can make it.;)

I don't want her to be looking at so many bars in front of her. I have seen the difference it makes for Sachi and I would like Emma to have the same.:heart:

pineview01

You guys bring up good points about the size of the washers and all. I had not thought about that and will have to do some investigating of my own to see how complicated it will be for me to purchase hardware for my bar spacing but I have a feeling it won't be that hard. :)
It's not a problem. Home Depot and/or Lowes carry SS "fender" washers. Between the two of them I have found what I need for my 1.5 spaced cages.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's not a problem. Home Depot and/or Lowes carry SS "fender" washers. Between the two of them I have found what I need for my 1.5 spaced cages.
Thanks Pineview.:)

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
The ad says the photo isn't showing the whole cage. It must have sections that the had to take out and it is also 48" deep.(at least that is the shortest the site shows.

Where are you finding the 80' SS double macaw cage? That is what I am wanting with a dome. I have found the 64". I sure could use the help.
The 80" wide is flat topped, not domed. this site picture shows the powder coated version but the price is for the stainless steel one. I have the powder coated 64" version

http://www.bird-supplies.net/double-macaw-xl-stainless.htm There were a lot of sites with this same cage though - just google stainless steel double macaw cage

pineview01

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Bennett's are nice cages. Hy owners have found they hold up to the bird abuse inflicted by Hy's. They found a nitche in the custom/modular market and can do a variety of configuration. Many of the cages have built on side mounts to hold large rolls of paper which pulls through the cages and make cleaning much easier. There is another manufacturer of similar type cages but I can't remember the name. I believe they are out of Illinois also Libertyville area...I have written a friend and will let you know. For her palms she needed more length than the double macaw cages so she needed to go modular. She loves the aluminum cages and they have held up well. When going to a large size such as she has SS would have been way too heavy. One client I did grooming for had an awesome house. The birds had custom modular cages that fit between pillars separating the dining and living rooms (huge rooms). Then along the wall was sliding doors with custom built aviaries. So they would just walk the birds from the cages over to the aviary that looked out into the courtyard/pool area. Because it was a built on area it was secure without having to walk outdoors. It had covered shelter and birds still could get sun. Wonderful home really nice birds and they were easy to groom. My house is not on the level but I think my birds are just as happy!

Peggy

Last edited:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Bennett's are nice cages. Hy owners have found they hold up to the bird abuse inflicted by Hy's. They found a nitche in the custom/modular market and can do a variety of configuration. Many of the cages have built on side mounts to hold large rolls of paper which pulls through the cages and make cleaning much easier. There is another manufacturer of similar type cages but I can't remember the name. I believe they are out of Illinois also...I have written a friend and will let you know. For her palms she needed more length than the double macaw cages so she needed to go modular. She loves the aluminum cages and they have held up well. When going to a large size such as she has SS would be way too heavy.

Peggy
Perhaps you are referring to Expandable Habitats? They also use the paper roll system. They do exclusively stainless steel though.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Ooops You might be right. Expandable habitat. I thought it was aluminum as she talked about Bennetts also and liked this one better. I saw her setup several years ago....oh, so much for memory.

Just checked, it is the expandable habitat that I was thinking of....very nice cages also.

Peggy

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
:hug8:
I dream all the time too! :( I keep on dreaming, And like SAROJ I dont want to buy much things for myself. My main purpose in life is to make sure my birds are taken care of and that they are happy. Merlie, you do a great job in making sure your fids are being taken care of! Keep on dreaming! It helps you organize things you to do, plan on doing, etc. I dream about things for my fids every day, things I want them to have, what they like, and who knows what! lol

Nicely said!
Yep, my whole life revolves around how to make my bird's life better...man what would I do if I ever won the lottery?!?!? Everyone would think I was crazy when they saw how I spent the money...I LOVE that Pet Liberator and would kill for something like that!

As for aluminum...are aluminum cages really that expensive? It seems to me that bauxite is fairly cheap or am I just not thinking correctly? I also wonder about the safety. Monica from Grey Feather Toys and I had a long discussion about this once when I was considering carrying some aluminum toys and she pretty much convinced me that aluminum might not be something I'd want to give my birds....not that I know anything about it really, it just makes me wonder.

Also, for that amount of money, why wouldn't you go for SS? It might even be cheaper! LOL!

pineview01

As for aluminum...are aluminum cages really that expensive? It seems to me that bauxite is fairly cheap or am I just not thinking correctly? I also wonder about the safety. Monica from Grey Feather Toys and I had a long discussion about this once when I was considering carrying some aluminum toys and she pretty much convinced me that aluminum might not be something I'd want to give my birds....not that I know anything about it really, it just makes me wonder.

Also, for that amount of money, why wouldn't you go for SS? It might even be cheaper! LOL!
When I got my aluminum and SS cages, the SS cost more than the aluminum, about a third more. Right now the aluminum cost more. Both metals come in many grades and there is also allowable variations in metals of the same grade. Also the different elements in the metals will determine the costs and change over time.

The grade of aluminumin my cage is as strong as the SS but lighter weight. I'm not sure of other aluminm cages out there and not sure what grade is in toys.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Aww, if we won the lottery we'd buy TONS of land for the dogs to roam (and Id probably acquire more dogs, LOL) AND Id build a log Cabin home (ONLY 2000 Sq Ft) and have a silarium for the birds! A huge one! Plus we'd get some hobby farm animals too (lama, goats, miscovi ducks, etc) We rented a place that had all those things once...God Id love to go back there!

Status
Not open for further replies.