• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Idea

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hey june, I think that would be a remarkably great educational topic to touch on. I think there are people out there that would greatly benefit from learning about how medical conditions associated with aging affect birds. I went thru 3 birds that fall in that category. I think personally you should!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I think that's a great idea, we already have one but no one posts there. Senior Center | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum. Aging is something that all birds will have to deal with, so I think we might as well prepare.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That makes sense. :yes1: We have Nursery Rhyme Drive for the wee ones & Special Needs Crossing for birds with different challenges, but older birds aren't necessarily in the special needs category. Plus it'd be a good way for parronts of older birds to connect better.

Now what to call it... :chin:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That makes sense. :yes1: We have Nursery Rhyme Drive for the wee ones & Special Needs Crossing for birds with different challenges, but older birds aren't necessarily in the special needs category. Plus it'd be a good way for parronts of older birds to connect better.

Now what to call it... :chin:

Have a forum contest where all A A members submit a projected title for new forum and pick best one.!
Winner gets a case of wine! Ok...I'm greedy, one bottle will do!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I posted a great write up on geriatric birds. What does everyone think of a Geriatric bird forum?
Yes, I agree it is a great thing. And it does exist, like @taxidermynerd said.
Maybe we can use this as a :bump7: to the Senior Center | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum forum, and encourage people to post about their elder birds there :)

I went thru 3 birds that fall in that category.
Maybe you could write about those birds and share some experiences in that forum? What was it like as the birds got older, how did routines change, personalities change, diet etc Whatever you feel like sharing, I´m sure would be greatly appreciated.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes, I agree it is a great thing. And it does exist, like @taxidermynerd said.
Maybe we can use this as a :bump7: to the Senior Center | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum forum, and encourage people to post about their elder birds there :)

Maybe you could write about those birds and share some experiences in that forum? What was it like as the birds got older, how did routines change, personalities change, diet etc Whatever you feel like sharing, I´m sure would be greatly appreciated.
I would be honored to do so! Sure I would.
To jane: in your original post above jane, you mention the ages where age related illnesses start, on average. Is that a long term study? Curious.... Because the official data would be interesting to add to based upon the thousands in members in AA compiled over the years and added to in the years to come from the members. Like an on going data file of all birds on AA. Voluntary basis of course. There would be variables within all speices, and varied ages, but to really pin down what relates and the common denominator involved would be interesting.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
We added the Senior Center about a year back as people wanted to talk about aging birds.
I didn't know you had a senior thread for birds either...my GPS quit working. Lol...
Seriously though...educating on the aging factors and all involved would be a big step forward for everyone I think. We are all going to face it not only with our birds but with our selves.
Like how does our aging affect the birds and their life style, are we slacking, are we the same as say 20- 30 years ago with our birds? Are we aging with our birds, ahead of our birds or behind our birds.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My question is what is actually a Sr. Bird? Is it the last __ so many expected __ yrs. Is it when they get past there mid life crisis?

Wouldn't it have to be based on genus & then binomial name? Since even birds in the same genus live different lifespans when you look @ the binomial name part.

My guess is Buddys just about @ that mid life part, but I'm just not sure.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My question is what is actually a Sr. Bird? Is it the last __ so many expected __ yrs. Is it when they get past there mid life crisis?

Wouldn't it have to be based on genus & then binomial name? Since even birds in the same genus live different lifespans when you look @ the binomial name part.

That's why I really think this thread would be very beneficial in that respect. Yes I believe there would be many variables in regards to different lifespans. Changes in their eniviornments for example, by that I mean we have members here on AA from all over the world, where we have birds in cold environments, hot environments and everything inbetween. In the aging procees, it would be interesting to know if their environment plays a roll in earlier age related illnesses, or extends it and why. That's just one variable, there are many.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I think we should go in and revive that part of the forum, since it's posted in so infrequently.

Personally, even though Chirp is only 3-ish, I'm already keeping things in mind for when he's older, things like retirement cages and how to make things softer and safer. Just like with people, age comes for us all so we need to prepare.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

I didn't answer what is a senior bird in your post when quoting last post...sorry.
To be honest, I don't know where the line is in determining just exactly when per se. I say this because I always expected my military macaw to have went around 50-60 yrs of age, he lived to be 69. A lot longer than I expected, but I didn't complain. But age caught up to him around 57-58
When age related issues really began to kick in...gets sluggish, no longer wanted certain foods, gotten crankier, metabolism and energy starts to slow. And you start worrying your butt off. It can stress some people out I imagine.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
All of your questions are excellent. I suggest if you want to correct responses to seek out Pam Clark who wrote the article on FB. She is more than willing to elaborate on her write ups.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't answer what is a senior bird in your post when quoting last post...sorry.
To be honest, I don't know where the line is in determining just exactly when per se. I say this because I always expected my military macaw to have went around 50-60 yrs of age, he lived to be 69. A lot longer than I expected, but I didn't complain. But age caught up to him around 57-58
When age related issues really began to kick in...gets sluggish, no longer wanted certain foods, gotten crankier, metabolism and energy starts to slow. And you start worrying your butt off. It can stress some people out I imagine.

Thanks for this. I 'd be willing to input Buddy's progress, & I'd be the one that will worry myself to pieces, if...

He doesn't outlive me too! My biggest fear but being my kids last connection to me may turn out as it did between Dad & Me...
One very spoiled boy!
:coolparrot:

Flockmomma79

Moving in
Real Name
Leigh Ann Pierce
I would love to share what I learned while I had a 50+ year old Amazon hen. She had been likely wild caught, as she still had her import band on when she came into the rescue I started working at. Never knew her true age, but she was developing cataracts and my avian vet said they started in Zon's around age 50.
When that rescue closed, she came to live with me, as she was VERY particular about her "people". She had multiple chronic medical issues, including a totally new one to me, Amazon Foot necrosis.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!