• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

id like too check my cockatiel's diet is healthy

blXndglXss

Meeting neighbors
ive heard multiple times seeds diet are bad and its better to go with pellets for birds in cactivity .but i personaly prefer seeds because thats what cockatiels eat in the wild.my cockatiel gets the most excessize they can get.
i make my own seed mix.i use BirdTricks'recipe(for the mellet I give it from the stick instead also for foreging and training)
in my bird chop, i put min 4 vegetables and 1 fruit, some quinoa(cooked) and a couple chickpeas.sometimes other suplements
i always put a couple herbs and spices too.that are safe or birds to encourage them to eat it.
i also occasionally give some nuts.

is there's anything i should modify in my bird's diet?

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t know anything about bird tricks recipe, in part because I don’t believe/have confidence in the people parading that site. Can you list out the ingredients you use?
As for the chop, can you list the vegetables and fruits you’re using? Without specifics, we can’t really help you.

blXndglXss

Meeting neighbors
" whole wheat berries, pearled barley, quinoa, hulled barley, whole spelt, rolled oats, oat groats, hulled millet, rye flakes, whole grain rye berries and steel cut oats."(i dont use all of them) im not very experience in bird's diets yet but if theirs a healthier recipe id really like the link ;W;

as for my recent bird chop i used some brocoli,tomatos,pepper,celery,apples,peas,chickpeas,red quinoa and for the spices ive added some coriande,thyme,basic andsome persil

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think that feeding a variety is great, but I feel that your bird will not be getting all the vitamins and minerals unless you give your bird a supplement, especially for vitamin D. Your correct that tiels need more seed in their diet than many other species. But I think having some pellets in their diet in addition to fresh foods, veggies and seeds is a good idea, even if it is just 20%.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree that cockatiels need seed in their diet. But an all seed diet isn't good- it can cause fatty liver disease. In the wild, cockatiels eat seeds in their various stages- like when they're sprouting, which is more nutritious than dry seeds. So, sprouting seeds is something you can try too. To make up the nutritional difference, I do also feed pellets (actually nutriberries) and then vegetables. I shoot for about 50% seeds, 15% pellets and the rest vegetables.