• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I want to help my Dende.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Dende had surgery quite a few weeks ago. Since then she has chewed her skin open in a specific area next to her leg.

She bites it open in one shot. So the vet fitted another E-collar on her and we waited for the area to heal (thinking that it was just the irritation of the surgical wound healing that caused her to pick at it).

It healed perfectly and I dropped Dende at the vet for observation while her collar was removed. Within a split-second she had torn open her leg again. So bad that she needed stitches.

Now the vet suspects that Dende sustained nerve damage in that area from the surgery. Something they have only seen in about 5 other birds as a result from surgery (and honestly, they perform hundreds of surgeries each year)! This is causing her to not be able to really feel in that area so she is biting it open.

Dende has been put on Gabapentin which is a drug that might help with the nerve damage problem. She has been on this medication for the last 2 weeks. This drug works by building up in the system and needs to be given twice a day. In the mean time the collar stays on until the drug has time to take effect.

I have an appointment on 3 November to take Dende to the vet to have the collar removed and they can observe her closely there to see if she starts picking again.

Well, yesterday Dende managed to remove her collar. She wouldn't have had it off her for more than about 5 minutes before I caught her, but in that time she bit another hole in her leg. :( I took her back to the vet today to have another collar fitted. I cried on the way home.

I feel very, very helpless about the whole situation. Frustrated. Angry. Heartbroken. Guilty.

I think a lot of owners who have self-mutilators might feel this way. I don't know what to do. I just really... don't.

I pray so hard that the medication will work. It has to work. Dende is absolutely miserable with her collar on. She has stopped playing with toys. She can barely perch. She has to sleep at a very strange angle because the collar is so large (it has to be because anything smaller and she manages to get her leg).

I'm not looking for sympathy. Not for me at least. I guess I'm looking for answers. Some hope that the medication will work by 3 November even though it hasn't worked up to this point yet. Some love for Dende. Good thoughts. Prayers. Anything that will help my baby stop hurting herself.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If it truly is nerve damage there really isn't anything anybody can do about it. It will require some kind of permanent way of preventing her from getting at it. What that is I'm not sure. It can not be allowed to continue of course. It "may" (I certainly hope not) come down to amputating that leg. He will adjust to that extreme solution if that is what happens. As long as it heals fine he will adapt and move on like nothing happened. The important thing is to stop the irritation (whatever that is) so he does not focus on it and moves on.

Your really going to have to brain storm with your vet to find an answer. I'm sorry this is happening.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you John.

Gabapentin has been sucessful in some birds with neuropathic pain associated with surgery or feather mutilation. This will, of course, be the very best outcome for Dende because then she can return to having a normal life.

I've also thought about the possibility of amputation. Unfortunately I don't know how viable this is because the spot she mutilates is not on the actual leg. It is on the abdomen right next to the leg.

I've placed a red dot on this photo to show you where she is biting her skin open:

This also makes it very difficult to physically prevent her from biting the area (except for fitting her with the E-collar). I've been trying to think about ways to cover her leg but so far I am stumped.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I feel your pain. Very heartbreaking. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you fit her with a flight suit, or a pair of pants instead of a collar? In other words cover the spot she's biting instead of collaring her.

Ginger

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I don't have any answers, but I wanted to say that I'm so sorry this is happening and I'll keep you and Dende in my prayers:hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
I know this is a stretch but how about something like what Elsie does for Ella (G2)? It is flexible but I think it would keep from irritating Dende to the point that once he gets the e collar off that he goes after the spot that is trying to heal/remain healed.

Does that make sense?

I hope you can get some resolve for this, best of luck!!!

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you.

I don't know how I would be able to cover the spot effectively because it is in such an awkward area. I'd have to somehow cover the belly and the entire leg otherwise she'd be able to just move the material aside to pick at the spot.

Would anyone know if there was something like that on the market? Or does anyone have a design in mind that I could try to make or pay someone to make for me?

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Patty, do you mean like the ponchos that Ella wears? Thank you for the suggestion.

It might work if the material is long enough to go beyond her legs and feet. She might have difficulty perching then. And she won't be able to preen her feathers which is one of her greatest frustrations with the E-collar.

I think I'll get some material this weekend and try to make one and see how she copes. What material do I use?

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
im so sorry you have to go tru this ,praying that the meds work..:hug8::hug8:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Can you fit her with a flight suit, or a pair of pants instead of a collar? In other words cover the spot she's biting instead of collaring her.

Ginger
that's what i was wondering. what about a little pair of pants or a flight suit?

i'm so sorry this is happening, i can imagine how bad it would feel to be so helpless in this situation. =(

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Healing prayers for little Dende, maybe something special to fit can be made.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I really don't mean this to be silly, but is there some sort of fabric that is sort of like kevlar? Multilayered & very very tough, yet flexible enough to use as a fabric would be? Will let through a needle (probably), but impervious to a beak? Know any materials scientists? You might have to think outside the box on this one. I wish you & Dende the best in this; I know how much you love her:heart: :heart: :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.