• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I want a Linnie!

*Star*14

Meeting neighbors
@Percy&Ivan
Haha, that is funny!! My 120lbs dog was afraid of a sterling chick I rescued, whenever she would scream for food! My dog also lost it when she landed on her head!:laughin: (No animals were harmed)

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Great! Now I want a Linnie, too :laugh:

*Star*14

Meeting neighbors
Oh! Another question to anyone out there, do you give your linnie(s)/bird(s) vitamin/mineral supplements, chews, or anything like that periodically?

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
I have 2 little linnies. I cant "pet" them but they allow me to carry them on my hands, shoulder, and emme just started this new thing where if he wants to go back to his cage he gets on top of my head....which is get me there or I will go there myself. they also love to climb and do flips and so forth. emme and skye will climb up a throw blanket and sit with me as long as I don't try to pet them and really seem to like that( especially if I'm eating something they want) but most of the time I will be working on blankets( I'm crocheting blankets for all 5 kids) and all the sudden I will feel a pull and pop comes a linnie...they are just such sweet little guys. They will sit on my blanket covered toes and watch me or the tv, and sometimes they wanna sit on my shoulder and watch. mine are rather independent little explorers!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I fed Harrison's extra small pellet and the size was perfect . The only negative is that Linnies have a rapid metabilism and make rather loose droppings very frequently. They eat a huge amounts of food for a little bird. I also fed Goldenfeast petit legumes. Favorite food is an Apple slice held in your hand Suggest you go light on the seeds as they can gain too much weight. Linnies are a flock bird so a cage mate is a good idea. Have climbing toys round because they love to climb more than fly. My male talked up a storm and hung upside down for a spritz bath. Oh their nails grow fast so keep an eye on them. No supplementary vitamins needed because they eat most all veggies and greens.

clyderiver77

Checking out the neighborhood
I am a hobby breeder and exhibitor of these lovely birds and have babies available. I am always happy to chat on the phone about them if anyone wants to PM me. Only real "con" I can see is they have really big and wet poops. Their nails grow faster and are thicker than most birds their size, so if you are not thinking you will want to do it yourself, they will need to see a groomer rather frequently. They are amazing birds. I agree with the comments above that they are all individuals, some are super cuddly and love hands, and some not as much. Only a warning... They are addictive! Hard to have just one

Check us out and learn more on our website too, There are lots of pictures and descriptions of the different color mutations, however I am a HUGE fan of the normal green! lol www.eddiesaviary.com

I would love to encourage more people to show them as well. I would be happy to help you learn how if you are interested in that. Great way to spend a weekend day... Watching birds and sitting in the gallery chatting with like minded people.

*Star*14

Meeting neighbors
@clyderiver77
That's so awesome! Even before I really wanted a bird, I've wanted to go to a bird show. They sound fun! Your website is awesome! So many beautiful birds! Thanks for the great information!

*Star*14

Meeting neighbors
So I just went to the bird store today and he wanted to step up on me instead of one of the staff! I was happy;) He apparently had a buddy (same breed different color) that came in and was bought 2 days after being brought in! Glad it wasn't Moe ❤

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
FYI Birds are not referred to as breeds but species. Which color is Moe? Here is a photo of the ones I had. Female is turquoise and male is cobalt blue. There natural color is green which is truly pretty.

Attachments

*Star*14

Meeting neighbors
@Lady Jane

I knew that... ;) :)
He is a D turquoise, parblue cobalt! Very handsome!
Yours are SO pretty! The Linnie that was with Moe was green

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have six Linnies. I'm a medium sized bird person (we have greys, Ekkies, Rosies, and Amazons) but when I met my first Linnie in person, I was in love! They kind of do that to you! They are VERY ADDICTIVE! We had 12 at one point but have lost a few over the years, some to illness, some to very dumb mistakes. Their nails grow very, very fast and you have to be very cognizant of that and the toys you give them because they love to play and can easily get stuck in rope toys. Ours are all fully flighted and share a cage together. They are definitely the most flock oriented parrots I have ever met and I highly suggest getting them in pairs. They are so much fun to watch because their antics are nothing short of better than any TV program ever could be!:) They are just such cute little balls of feathers. I just can't think of anything negative to say about them other than the few minor things that other people have mentioned...the nails do need to be watched and any toys made out of rope that they can get tangled in. They do seem to be hand shy but that does not stop them from wanting to spend time with you and be on you, it just may mean that they don't necessarily want you to hold them. They are incredibly inquisitive. One other minor bit of caution...they love to burrow and when they are out, you have to be careful about anything you leave out, such as blankets and pillows on the couches...they will go for small little spaces!:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Jen I forgot about the burrowing. Mine loved to crawl under a throw on a fair every time they were out. There they would both take a cozy nap.

Jen makes the best Linnie toys you could ever imagine. TNT toys

*Star*14

Meeting neighbors
@jmfleish
You have quite the little bird zoo! :laugh: I already have the confidence to trim his nails! I think... Oh wait, I don't even have him yet...:o: I have heard they like to burrow! And Moe certainly does! He has a hanging snugly pouch in his cage. Thanks for telling me about watching out for rope toys!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
roly_poly_small.png Jen sells a 3 tiered twine ball that my Linnies just loved to tear into. I ordered it two different times because over time they totally destroyed it.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The above is a photo of the toy I call the Linnie Love toy on TNT

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Jen I forgot about the burrowing. Mine loved to crawl under a throw on a fair every time they were out. There they would both take a cozy nap.

Jen makes the best Linnie toys you could ever imagine. TNT toys
The burrowing always just made me giggle and smile! They have a little tent in their cage now and they will pile as many as they can into it...so cute!

Thanks for the shout out for TNT...we do more medium sized bird toys, but we do have some smaller ones.