• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think Opie tried to kill me :(

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I haven't updated much lately, but everything has been pretty much the same.
The budgies are budgies. Oggie loves everyone but also just loves to bite flesh. Opie loves my boyfriend even though they rarely spend time together, but doesn't want anything to do with me unless I have a treat for him.

I've stated before that Opie sometimes lunges at the cage bars when I walk by, and I'm not sure why. If we are making eye contact, everything is fine. He stays out of reach of my fingers but doesn't back away from me or try to bite. But sometimes when I walk by his cage, just barely *after* I pass him, he lunges. Not while I am facing him or walking toward him, but just after the back of my arm passes and I can still see barely see him in the corner of my eye.

Today he did it while his cage was open :(
I opened his balcony so he could climb out, and just as I turned away he lunged at my shoulder. I saw it out of the corner of my eye as usual and instinctively jerked back. He landed on the floor and sat there making a clucking noise. I felt so bad!!
I reached out to him and he backed away under his cage, but when I got a dowel he was willing to step up on it to be lifted.
After making sure he was okay, I questioned whether it truly was aggressive, because his beak never actually made contact with my skin. It happened so fast but I don't know if I truly reacted fast enough to avoid injury, or if he was actually trying to get *on* my shoulder. But then I doubt that, since he clearly doesn't want me to touch him ever. And he definitely doesn't move that fast the rare times when he is getting on my boyfriend's shoulder.
And as I turned away a second time, he did it again. He again did not manage to make contact though (and thankfully didn't fall this time).

They have officially been here a year as of Memorial Day weekend, and I have not clipped their wings since I got them. Neither of them has shown any inclination to fly so far - but I guess this might have been a first sign that Opie is testing his range :(
I'm wondering if he has an issue with my hair.. maybe it swings as I turn and sets him off, which would explain why he doesn't lunge at my face.
But that doesn't explain why he still generally just doesn't like me, because my hair isn't swinging or waving when we are face to face or when I have it pulled back.

Man it's painful to love a bird so much who might just be seriously unhappy with your existence, specifically.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm sure he doesn't hate you. How old is he? It could just be a phase, my cockatiel did something similar when he was just over a year old.

Did you do anything to set him off? Sunni lunges at me if I'm near him past bedtime, he just wants to sleep. He also does it when he's eating and I try to touch his bowl, or if I move too fast too close. You just have to keep a close eye on his signs and make sure nothing you do scares him or threatens him. Make sure you don't make any loud or fast movements, talk to him quietly and hand feed him to keep his trust, just like in the beginning stages of taming.

I'm sorry this is happening, just don't give up!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Is he just cage territorial?
Not really! I can generally reach into his cage and adjust things if I need to, the only time he reacts to that is if he wants out and decides to rush the door.

I'm sure he doesn't hate you. How old is he? It could just be a phase, my cockatiel did something similar when he was just over a year old.

Did you do anything to set him off? Sunni lunges at me if I'm near him past bedtime, he just wants to sleep. He also does it when he's eating and I try to touch his bowl, or if I move too fast too close. You just have to keep a close eye on his signs and make sure nothing you do scares him or threatens him. Make sure you don't make any loud or fast movements, talk to him quietly and hand feed him to keep his trust, just like in the beginning stages of taming.

I'm sorry this is happening, just don't give up!
My whole person sets him off lol.
Maybe I turn my body too fast when I turn away from him. That is the one really consistent thing.. the lunging always happens towards my side/ back, not ever when I'm actually facing him head on.
He is 17

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My whole person sets him off lol.
This made me laugh. :rofl:

Binky my amazon, adores me.... and not adores me. I'm the only person in the house he lets scratch him, I'm the only person he tries to feed... I kiss his beak and belly BUT he lunges at me ALL the time. :rofl: Just like you explain. Kinda at me but only when my full focus is not direct, he has never touched me while doing it and if he did I bet he would accidentally fall from a perch or cage as I would pull away. It looks like nasty ugly lunging but he is all talk. :laugh:

Binky is not a needy bird. He would go the whole day not asking for a single thing from us. He would rather not be bugged by the humans in the house but doesn't hate Joe or I, just looks like he hates me Hahaha

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley is a sweetheart but if anyone gets within 2 feet of his door when he is in the bottom of the cage - woo boy. Doesn't matter who it is, he will lunge at me or the kids or even the giant dog. I think it's fun for him to be honest!

Birds are funny creatures and sometimes its hard to know what is going through their head, especially since we want to analyze it on a human level when that's often not a fair way to look at it :)

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
This made me laugh. :rofl:

Binky my amazon, adores me.... and not adores me. I'm the only person in the house he lets scratch him, I'm the only person he tries to feed... I kiss his beak and belly BUT he lunges at me ALL the time. :rofl: Just like you explain. Kinda at me but only when my full focus is not direct, he has never touched me while doing it and if he did I bet he would accidentally fallà from a perch or cage as I would pull away. It looks like nasty ugly lunging but he is all talk. :laugh:

Binky is not a needy bird. He would go the whole day not asking for a single thing from us. He would rather not be bugged by the humans in the house but doesn't hate Joe or I, just looks like he hates me Hahaha
I must be insane because when I realized I wasn't hurt.. I was almost tempted to let him go again and get me! Just so I could see if he really meant it or not lol.
Not ready to lose part of my face though

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He sounds just like my Opie...it's not a good week unless he's tried to attack me. And yes, he has ended up on the floor before because he loses his balance and isn't really much of a flyer still. My cranky boy! Love him to bits, but he gets really mad when he's hormonal--at everything. He will step up onto a rope perch, which is how I get him back up off the floor. We really have improved our relationship, though, and I'm sure you will with your Opie!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So is he lunging from the top of his cage? If so, I am still leaning towards a cage territorial thing. Scooter my tiel who has never bitten me ever will do the fake I'm going to try to bite you thing if I try to get him to step up from on top of his cage. He will step up any other place, any time, for any one. Not on top of his cage. I realize you aren't trying to get him to step up but I think it's the same sort of thing.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
So is he lunging from the top of his cage? If so, I am still leaning towards a cage territorial thing. Scooter my tiel who has never bitten me ever will do the fake I'm going to try to bite you thing if I try to get him to step up from on top of his cage. He will step up any other place, any time, for any one. Not on top of his cage. I realize you aren't trying to get him to step up but I think it's the same sort of thing.
Yeah sort of!
He has a balcony door thing, and he was on his balcony as I turned away and launched himself at me.
Though he also does it while inside his cage on his main perch.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm telling you it's like MC. He did that to hubby ALL THE TIME! But he loved hubby, I know he did. Even if I was his best bud.

If MC had eye contact with him? Nothing doing. If I was looking at him while hubby walked by? Nothing doing. I think he just wanted to scare him, show him who was ruling the house. I don't think he did that away from the cage though.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm telling you it's like MC. He did that to hubby ALL THE TIME! But he loved hubby, I know he did. Even if I was his best bud.

If MC had eye contact with him? Nothing doing. If I was looking at him while hubby walked by? Nothing doing. I think he just wanted to scare him, show him who was ruling the house. I don't think he did that away from the cage though.
Huh, that's really interesting!!
Your time with MC has definitely helped with Opie

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Huh, that's really interesting!!
Your time with MC has definitely helped with Opie
As long as Opie is loved, that's a good thing!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I haven't updated much lately, but everything has been pretty much the same.
The budgies are budgies. Oggie loves everyone but also just loves to bite flesh. Opie loves my boyfriend even though they rarely spend time together, but doesn't want anything to do with me unless I have a treat for him.

I've stated before that Opie sometimes lunges at the cage bars when I walk by, and I'm not sure why. If we are making eye contact, everything is fine. He stays out of reach of my fingers but doesn't back away from me or try to bite. But sometimes when I walk by his cage, just barely *after* I pass him, he lunges. Not while I am facing him or walking toward him, but just after the back of my arm passes and I can still see barely see him in the corner of my eye.

Today he did it while his cage was open :(
I opened his balcony so he could climb out, and just as I turned away he lunged at my shoulder. I saw it out of the corner of my eye as usual and instinctively jerked back. He landed on the floor and sat there making a clucking noise. I felt so bad!!
I reached out to him and he backed away under his cage, but when I got a dowel he was willing to step up on it to be lifted.
After making sure he was okay, I questioned whether it truly was aggressive, because his beak never actually made contact with my skin. It happened so fast but I don't know if I truly reacted fast enough to avoid injury, or if he was actually trying to get *on* my shoulder. But then I doubt that, since he clearly doesn't want me to touch him ever. And he definitely doesn't move that fast the rare times when he is getting on my boyfriend's shoulder.
And as I turned away a second time, he did it again. He again did not manage to make contact though (and thankfully didn't fall this time).

They have officially been here a year as of Memorial Day weekend, and I have not clipped their wings since I got them. Neither of them has shown any inclination to fly so far - but I guess this might have been a first sign that Opie is testing his range :(
I'm wondering if he has an issue with my hair.. maybe it swings as I turn and sets him off, which would explain why he doesn't lunge at my face.
But that doesn't explain why he still generally just doesn't like me, because my hair isn't swinging or waving when we are face to face or when I have it pulled back.

Man it's painful to love a bird so much who might just be seriously unhappy with your existence, specifically.
Sounds exactly like an amazon!
Most of the ones I know give a warning with lots of talking, pinned eyes, and tail fanning. Were you leaving? Some birds will try to stop you from leaving.
I doubt you did anything wrong. I got a bite from an amazon because I had another amazon out. I think he was possessive. Another lady walked too close and an amazon launched at her head. They latch on!
That's not meant to be discouraging, I just mean that you shouldn't feel guilty for it.
I had a hard time with the pain you mention. Finding the little things helped me on the bad days. Feeding the unhappy bird a treat reminded me why I and love 'em. Did you consider before adopting them that there was a chance they would prefer your boyfriend?
:sadhug2:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Sounds exactly like an amazon!
Most of the ones I know give a warning with lots of talking, pinned eyes, and tail fanning.
:sadhug2:
You know he does those things every single time I talk to him. I honestly think he hates my voice, but I thought he would get used to it over time. Especially with treats.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
You know he does those things every single time I talk to him. I honestly think he hates my voice, but I thought he would get used to it over time. Especially with treats.
That may or may not be true. The Amazon that attacked a lady likes me. He pins his eyes and talks with me, but will try to feed me if I get close and has never tried to bite me. He is aggressive with almost everyone else.
I will say that most parrots loved being talked to and getting attention. I think Opie enjoys you with some personal space. Birds are emotional, maybe sometimes he likes you... sometimes he doesn't.
But I can't see his behavior, and don't own an Amazon myself.:shrug:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Opie decided he can fly today. I thought I was dead.

First I went to open his balcony and he tried to bite my fingers. Then I was spreading a clean rug under the cage and he launched like a missile. I had visions of The Birds so I screamed and ducked.
He deflected off my arm and started up his whooping/cackling laugh as he flew across the house and landed on my husband instead.

First time he has ever used his wings here and he has more control than Oggie.

After awhile I went over to change Oggie's water and he did it again. This time I tried to freeze instead of duck. He landed on my shoulder and very deliberately climbed down to bite my exposed arm once. Then he climbed back up and just sat there. I was hiding my face behind my hair and too afraid to move (didn't want to startle him) but so grateful it was just one purposeful bite and not a frenzy of flesh tearing like Oggie does!
Husband had to come get him off me.

Oh boy.
Not sure what this means for us.

Attachments

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie decided he can fly today. I thought I was dead.

First I went to open his balcony and he tried to bite my fingers. Then I was spreading a clean rug under the cage and he launched like a missile. I had visions of The Birds so I screamed and ducked.
He deflected off my arm and started up his whooping/cackling laugh as he flew across the house and landed on my husband instead.

First time he has ever used his wings here and he has more control than Oggie.

After awhile I went over to change Oggie's water and he did it again. This time I tried to freeze instead of duck. He landed on my shoulder and very deliberately climbed down to bite my exposed arm once. Then he climbed back up and just sat there. I was hiding my face behind my hair and too afraid to move (didn't want to startle him) but so grateful it was just one purposeful bite and not a frenzy of flesh tearing like Oggie does!
Husband had to come get him off me.

Oh boy.
Not sure what this means for us.
Oh no! That's terrible,I'm so sorry that he's hunting you down like that :(

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I love him so much.. I'm terrified by the idea of letting anyone else have him because I won't be able to control his health and safety anymore.

He is such a perfect bird other than the fact that he hates *me* in particular.. he deserves a better companion.. but he could be so easily traumatized by the wrong one..

I hate this for him.