• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures i think I figured it out...

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
@Macawnutz asked why caiques look like the have dirty bellies. Here is a belly feather.

IMG_20170505_225439.jpg

White with a gray base. I think this is what you are seeing that makes it looks dirty.

I have a friend who saw wild BHC's in South America and they looked really dirty, i read they get stains on them from tree sap.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you Laurie! I'm such a feather nerd I had to ask. :laugh:

That would be the reason they look dirty to me. What I'm also noticing is it seems their bellies are made up of more downy material than zippable feathers. That would also explain why you can see the "dirt". They won't have that smooth flat appearance with that much down, they have a ruffled belly sort of look. :D

Thank you, really! I always read about their "surfing" habits and always think they must sled around on their bellies. :rofl:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So, they lay on their bellies?

Korbel skies on his back so the idea is not foreign to me. He goes to the top of the recliner, rolls over and slides down the chair and into my lap on his back.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
IMG_20170506_125832.jpg
Thank you Laurie! I'm such a feather nerd I had to ask. :laugh:

That would be the reason they look dirty to me. What I'm also noticing is it seems their bellies are made up of more downy material than zippable feathers. That would also explain why you can see the "dirt". They won't have that smooth flat appearance with that much down, they have a ruffled belly sort of look. :D

Thank you, really! I always read about their "surfing" habits and always think they must sled around on their bellies. :rofl:
Lots of downyness.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
white belly.jpg

I can see the point about maybe the base of the feather is grey. But I have a flock of these mad critters, ( 2 species) and none of them rubs their bellies against anything to stain the feathers. It may be taught by wild parents only