• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I NEED HELP PLEASE, baby in my ¨garden¨

Zara

☃ ❀ ❁ ♡ ❤️ ♡ ❁ ❀
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This morning the men came and shaved the trees in front, I have just noticed a pigeobn in my plants, I didn´t understand why she kept coming back. I left water out... then I spotted her baby in my plant.
I´m on the first floor, one floor above the street, I don´t know the birds flight skills, I´m guessing none. What do I do?

Zara

☃ ❀ ❁ ♡ ❤️ ♡ ❁ ❀
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
why is the bird and her baby being in your garden an issue?
1. If the baby can´t fly and falls from my balcony, it will die.
2. I don´t have a garden, I have a little balcony. My living room is in here with my birds.
3. The mother bird seems scared, and so it very hesitant tending to the baby, I don´t know when he last ate.

Zara

☃ ❀ ❁ ♡ ❤️ ♡ ❁ ❀
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Birdbabe Do you think the little one can fly?
Their nest was in a palm tree across the street. There is a tree on my side, but obviously there´s no nest for the little guy

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
I would observe for a few minutes, see if you can find out if the baby is fledged. Watch them and see how they interact, read up on what to do in a situation like this and then, if need be intervention may be necessary, bring the baby to the mother, she may be wary because of the people cutting down the trees. @Zara one of the links I sent has information on how to build a makeshift nest.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wonder if you can take her to the tree? I'm not sure....

@Birdbabe ?

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I think I'd leave water and seeds and give them space, I'm sure Mom won't abandon it or let it fall to it's death if she can help it!

Zara

☃ ❀ ❁ ♡ ❤️ ♡ ❁ ❀
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think I'd leave water and seeds and give them space,
Yea, I put the bowl of water out, I just made a quick veggie breakfast, and some bread crumbled and left it in a dish on the floor.

So the guys left this morning, I heard them stop about 11am ish. It is now 4.30. I was out during the day so no idea how long this guy has been here.
The mum keeps coming and going. Maybe it´s my birds calling that scare her? I even moved my table out the way for her.

I don´t mind her staying there ´til the baby can fly, but I´m wary because my birds are so close.

The chick has barely moved, it can flap, but I don´t think flight has been learned yet :(

Zara

☃ ❀ ❁ ♡ ❤️ ♡ ❁ ❀
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The palm tree in this video is where their nest was. I saw the hen try to go back but she can't even land up there any more.

Zara

☃ ❀ ❁ ♡ ❤️ ♡ ❁ ❀
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
IMG_20190822_165505.jpg
IMG_20190822_165526.jpg
IMG_20190822_165727.jpg

I've set up a little corner, blocked off the gaps, so the baby can only leave here once they can fly.
Hopefully with the baby being on a blanket, the hen will come down and feed him....

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Birdbabe , I think its a dove not pigeon. @Zara mum might be afraid of the blanket. So if she comes back let us but imho I would remove the blanket. Set up a small box with newspaper shred instead. The lil' one will be just as comfy in box.

Zara

☃ ❀ ❁ ♡ ❤️ ♡ ❁ ❀
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Ripshod yes, he´s got lots of feathers coming through so should be flying soon, but he can´t atm.

@rocky'smom Yes sorry, the bird is a dove. I was talking and typing and here it is a paloma which is both pigeon and dove. She came back, she´s been to and fro many times, but she hasn´t touched the baby, and he´s been walking around the floor and is now back in the pepper plant, he must like it in there.
Now I´m worried about her feeding him. It´s 8.05pm and the sun is starting to set, so if night comes and he´s not eaten I´ll make something for him and try feeding him, last resort.

@Irene&Momo We´ve called many numbers. I want to have a plan in case the hen doesn´t come back etc but it seems that the bird is too common and not worth enough money for these organizations to care. I´ve called a local shelter becaue I know they have connections, the guardia civil (police), and seprona. I´m not having much luck.