• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help making a decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
So my son Corbin is a bird lover, he is 10 (almost 11) and he knows everything about his 2 cockatiels, Waffle and Pancake.
Anyways everytime they lay eggs, I boil them. This breaks Corbin's heart but he understands...

However Pancake is laying eggs again and he came to me and his father both. He would like us to let ONE egg hatch. Or dont boil one egg and see what happens (of course it might not hatch). And he wants to let Waffle and Pancake raise the bird but he will interact with the baby as much as Pancake lets him. He wants to keep the baby.

Im so torn about what to do. But I think Im leaning towards letting this happen....I think it would be a great learning experience for him, actually all my boys. His world literally revolves around his birds. He is so responsible and always learning about them, he does understand that if we decide to let a baby hatch that this is a one time shot, we're not keeping an egg everytime she lays them.

What would you guys do?

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
If you feel he is responsible enough then why not let it happen. He sounds like a great kid.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I would let him do it.

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
I know he is.....I would never even consider anything like this with my other 2 boys as they lose interest in everything they do, but not Corbin. When he loves something, he puts his whole heart into it and he sees it through.

Of course he wouldnt be doing this ALONE. I of course help him with his cockatiels and so does Craig (hubby). But they are "his" birds.
Craig is worried that the baby will hatch and possibly die. I told him it definately is a possibility BUT that is also part of the process. Corbin is also aware of this.

I think I am really leaning towards letting an egg hatch and see what happens.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I think it would be wonderful for Corbin to have that opportunity. Especially as he sounds such a sensible and responsible boy. It seems lie a neat reward for his dedication to his birds.

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
I think it would be a great experience for such a responsible young man. The only issue is that sometimes, especially with birds new to parenting, a baby may hatch and die. If you decide to do it I would prepare him as best you can for that possibility.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I think it would be a great experience for him...I'd do it!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would wait until he's a wee bit older, unless you plan on keeping the tiel if he gets bored with it as he hits teenage years.

My brothers were very interested in my birds until they hit puberty. My youngest brother even had a quaker. Tiki. But luckily Tiki loved my mom just as much as my brother so when hd started to become a teenager and lost interest, Tiki had my mom.

Last edited:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
This may be a good experience for him - I have tiels - and single female tiels that have laid - so I know, there will not be any hatching. Probably a good idea to know how to hand feed them if necessary. And maybe it will also stop Pancake from laying for awhile. I hear often to let a chronic egglayer foster an egg that is fertilized...

Mirantha

Walking the driveway
The one thing I would give a little more thought to is what if the baby is rejected or aggressed upon by the parents, necessitating hand feeding? Is that something you are willing to take on? Your son sounds awesome, and I am sure would be a huge help, but ultimately, hand feeding would fall on you, and it is a LOT of work!

Other than that, I say "go for it"... I know this is QUITE a bit different, but we incubated/hatched out chicken eggs here and it was an absolutely INCREDIBLE experience for all of us. And now we have a couple "lap chickens" and fresh eggs EVERY DAY :D !!

Good luck & hopefully the parents will successfully raise the chick without any human help ;)

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Yes, this is something Ive considered. I personally dont mind feeding, cleaning and all that stuff with the tiels, but I will be honest and say I dont have much interest in cockatiels as MY pet birds. However saying that, I do enjoy Waffle and Pancake, I will lay on Corbin's bed sometimes and both tiels will fly over to me for scritches an dplay on his bed, would I want the responsibilty of doing it everyday, NO but Craig LOVES the cockatiels and I find him in Corbin's room on numerous occasions playing and talking with them.

No matter what, they would be staying here. I know he could surprise me, but honestly Corbin isnt like most kids, I cant see him losing interest.

I would wait until he's a wee bit older, unless you plan on keeping the tiel if he gets bored with it as he hits teenage years.

My brothers were very interested in my birds until they hit puberty. My youngest brother even had a quaker. Tiki. But luckily Tiki loved my mom just as much as my brother so when hd started to become a teenager and lost interest, Tiki had my mom.

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
This is probably one of the main reasons why Im hesitant. IF this happens I know it will fall on me, I would NEVER even in a million years put that responsibility on my 10 yr old son, Ive watched videos, Ive read some stuff, I *think* I know what to do but without someone showing me in person, Im not sure I have the confidence in myself to do this.

That part scares me.

The one thing I would give a little more thought to is what if the baby is rejected or aggressed upon by the parents, necessitating hand feeding? Is that something you are willing to take on? Your son sounds awesome, and I am sure would be a huge help, but ultimately, hand feeding would fall on you, and it is a LOT of work!

Other than that, I say "go for it"... I know this is QUITE a bit different, but we incubated/hatched out chicken eggs here and it was an absolutely INCREDIBLE experience for all of us. And now we have a couple "lap chickens" and fresh eggs EVERY DAY :D !!

Good luck & hopefully the parents will successfully raise the chick without any human help ;)

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
This is probably one of the main reasons why Im hesitant. IF this happens I know it will fall on me, I would NEVER even in a million years put that responsibility on my 10 yr old son, Ive watched videos, Ive read some stuff, I *think* I know what to do but without someone showing me in person, Im not sure I have the confidence in myself to do this.

That part scares me.
It is not something I want to do either, but I would in an emergency. I have the formula and the supplies but thankfully have not needed it.

Instinct is a powerful thing. If the parents are mature and they receive an abundant amount of food, I think the chances are good they will feed chicks.

If you do let one hatch, do not remove the dud eggs. The warmth from the eggs will help keep the single chick warm and leaning against the eggs will give him/her support. When their are multiple chicks they lean on each other.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Sounds like your son is a great kid. Although parenting a baby would be a awesome experience, have you thought about how much he would learn if he rescued a homeless 'tiel? Not to be the party pooper, but theres just so many 'tiels in shelters :)

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Kathy, I did not know that!

Becky, Pancake was a rehomed cockatiel. She wasnt a 'recue' type of situation but she was fed and cleaned in her previous home and that was the extent of it. ALL of my birds have been rescues/rehomes. He is well aware of what it takes to have a rehomed bird. He actually loves my birds and does what he can with them. Cosmo is his favorite and when he is an adult, an Amazon that needs a home is what he wants :)

And on a side note, we have no cockatiels in shelters around us. Our shelter is a half an hr away, I babysit for the manager actually and an over abundance of birds is definately not a problem in our area, of course there is cockatiels for sale on Kijiji, they're definately out there, but we live in a small little town.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you absolutely need to learn to hand feed..and to set up a proper nest box before those babies are hatched...You must supervise very very carefully and prepare him just in case the baby does die. (it happens)..

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I Think you have honestly considered all sides of the issues with the help of AA input. I searched my soul also, for what it's worth. Could be a very valuable lesson for your son who may go on to save many birds someday. :hug8:

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
I would let him do it! You both sound ready! :)

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I think it is a wonderful learning experience. As long as it has a place in your home, it wouldn't be a terrible idea. Like Jaime said, be prepared and have all your children be prepared for the shock of loss. As first time parents, it wouldn't be unlikely for them to have problems. Also be ready with hand-feeding tools in the case that the parents decide not to care for the chick.

The only part of me that would lean toward no is the little voice in the back of my head that says 'there are bird already out there who are in need of homes'...I tried, but it is too hard to muffle.

Anyhow, let us know what you decide and how everything goes on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.