• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I need egg laying help NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
Made an appointment for the vet tomorrow at 11. Now I just need to find someone to drive me since my mother will be at work. I hope one of my friends can. But they should be able to give her what she needs I hope she'll be alright.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
Got a ride thanks to one of my friends! Took her outside for a good hour of some Florida sun and crushed up some egg shells for her food. Still got to get them powdered though.

Got an appointment tomorrow at 11 here Advanced Veterinary Care of Pasco

Any tips on what to ask for and what to watch out for (the vets doing) would be appreciated. Thank you all for the help, let's send my bird good strong vibes!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
See if the vet will give you some liquid calcium to give orally and/or put it in her water. My girls are on calcium "therapy" now for the eggies. Good luck!!!

Maria & Suni

Moving in
Now you guys have me freaked out .
This is the first time my Suni 6yrs old has laid eggs, and she keeps laying them up to 6, 3 in the past week alone . Is this normal, and she looks like she has another. Is this normal????

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
The egg laying thing is so scary.... going through it with Kita..... but I do recommend that anybody with a female bird have Calciboost on hand, you never know!! My AV told me that I should always have it in case of an egg binding emergency..........
So very true

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Lynz,How did it go at the Vets? My Thoughts and Prayers are with You and Nibbles:hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Now you guys have me freaked out .
This is the first time my Suni 6yrs old has laid eggs, and she keeps laying them up to 6, 3 in the past week alone . Is this normal, and she looks like she has another. Is this normal????
Think about it. The conditions are right so they lay eggs. The conditions are the environment they live in. Nesting and breeding are related to the how good the environment is to support some babies. We make a safe home, food is plentiful and available at all times. We pet their backs and under wings which stimulates a sexual response. Day light and dark also help get things started. To change the egg laying behavior we need to interrupt what makes them ready to lay. Food...decrease the protein. Safe house...move the cage as they then need to be aware of what is around them and be on guard....not good for having babies. Change of environment would also include taking them for a ride in the car. Seems to make a difference for a lot of birds. Limit daylight hours. Do not pet your bird on back or under wings when they are getting nesty.

Discuss egg laying with your vet.

Do not add extra vitamins as you can give too much vitamins and have vitamin toxicosis. Calcium can be provided naturally through food

Peggy

ClementinesMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Liz Goodman
Clementine is a cockatiel so I know it isn't the same, but her vent gets swollen so you can see the pink inside sticking out, when she is "in the mood". Sometimes it even throbs, which is disgusting. It's normal, though.

Maria & Suni

Moving in
So she does not have a mate, therefore there will be no babies. She has been sitting on her eggs chattering. How long should I let her do this? She started having them about 3 weeks ago. Had last a little over a week ago.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So she does not have a mate, therefore there will be no babies. She has been sitting on her eggs chattering. How long should I let her do this? She started having them about 3 weeks ago. Had last a little over a week ago.
Let her have them for as long as she wants them until she abandons them on her own. This allows her to go through the full cycle and as long as she's nesting on those eggs she's not going to lay more. You may want to get a few fake eggs in case she damages some of the real ones. They will go bad very quickly once damaged and you don't want "her" replacing them. Better if you do.

A normal cycle for cockatoos is supposed to be 21 to 28 ish days. Amanda has sat on them for 60 days before giving up.

HungryBird

I agree that the vet should be able to help you out. I was told by a vet that Iggy was not doing anything unusual and it would only be a problem if she was laying eggs a lot, not just a few random ones like she was doing. I was given some great tips on what to look out for and when egg laying becomes too much. I really prefer to have my females lay zero eggs because I hate worrying. It is one of the big reasons I am unsure about getting a female Eclectus, though I love them.

My female cockatiel Iggy came to me with the inclination to lay eggs occasionally. She had been the only bird at the house of the lady who rescued her (who was a really wonderful person that helped so many animals) and would lay eggs anyway.

I did not take the eggs out after she laid them because I did not want her to lay more to replace them. I made sure she always had a cuttlebone and gave her eggs more frequently than usual. We had one scare where I thought she had an egg stuck (she was just teasing me it turned out) and we almost went to the Animal Medical Center in the middle of the night. I was hysterical and did not find it funny at all but she seemed to think it was hilarious. I think she enjoyed the attention. She is very smart, sometimes too smart.

Her egg laying was never too much and I was not worried about her getting sick or dying, I just did not want it to turn into a big problem where she started laying eggs all the time. I wanted to do something preventive. I began a mission to figure out what I could do to make her stop once and for all. Funnily enough the answer was to move their water bowl. They have a very big water bowl that is wide and deep enough for them to bathe in. I moved it from the center of the cage to the corner she was laying eggs in and she has not laid an egg since. That was quite a while ago too. One time my boyfriend put the water bowl in another corner and when I came home she had shredded the newspaper in her special egg laying corner to make a nest. So I think it was all about that one corner because she has access to the other three corners of the cage and has never laid any eggs there.

I also have made sure to never give them anything that might be interpreted as a nest. No boxes, no soft huts, no coconut huts, nothing. My parakeets have a beautiful coconut hut they love but that is because they have never shown any interest in having parakeet bambinos. They don't have any hut right now but that is just because I like to switch it up from time to time. When the hut is in their cage they don't sleep in it or anything, they just chase each other all over it because there are three holes in the hut so they can zoom in and out at top speed. I've also caught them storing favorite foods in there for later! I also have a Meyer's that is still very young, under a year. I call him a him but really have no idea so if he pops out an egg I will know for sure!

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
:hug8: I have no advice but I can sympathize I am going through an egg lay right now with my tiel'. I notice mine has a fav corner to stash the eggs in, as soon as she looses interest and I remove the eggs I am totally moving everything in her cage around and will be installing something in that corner, like an eating/drinking area or a toy zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.