• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I need egg laying help NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
My conure Nibbles is 13 years old I think. She's laid eggs in the past. She actually went through a time where she laid about 3 clutches of three almost back to back. Every time they would pop out with ease.

I figured out how to fix the problem by putting her to bed earlier. One night recently I kept her up at night for a few hours because her room was being aired out (bad timing, my fault) and the next few days she gets an egg.

Just tonight she laid it. She had much trouble and part of her cloaca(? sorry I don't know the anatomy well. red skin from the inside) came out. But went back in after a minute or so~. I'm not sure if that's normal but it hadn't been like that before.

I fear for her laying the other two. Is there any way I can stop the clutch at one? If there isn't is there some sort of vitamins or something I can give her to make her egg laying easier? I put vitamins in her water as it is, especially recently. But I really want to stop the clutch from happening.

Please help I'm so scared. She's my best friend and I can't stand for something to happen. Sorry if anything doesn't make sense I'm just nervous.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no advice,but I hope she will be ok :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Hi Lynz:hug8:I don't know what Your Nibbles(Love the Name) eats for a regular diet to know if She is getting enough calcium,or do You give cuttlebone? Was the egg bigger then normal? You could take Her to a QAV for a shot to hope fully stop further egg laying. Here is a Link that has some good info about Egg binding/laying/prevention etc.
Egg Binding: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment Options

I Pray She will be Ok Keep Us posted!

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
I don't think there's a way to STOP a bird from laying eggs, but you have to figure out why is she laying in the first place? Does she have a mate? or a place that she might call a nest? Look at your behavior to her, do you pet her back? Does she see you as a mate?

Laying eggs is definitely hard on the female and can cause death if the bird is not ready. Does she get exercise? Is she flighted? What is her diet like? Does she have cuttlebone to supplement her calcium output? If she doesn't have a cuttlebone, get one! From egg laying in the past it could have depleted her reserves so she's having a difficult time with this clutch if it hasn't been replenished. The main reason for egg binding is calcium deficiency and lack of exercise.

1.Take a hard look at her diet and exercise habits to get her through this clutch (but it may be too late already if she is calcium deficient)
2.be ready to rush her to the vet if she gets in an egg binding episode this time around
3. concentrate on how you interact with your bird and what you have in her cage that could cause her to go into these 'nesty' episodes so hopefully you can stop it before it begins.

Hope this helps, keep us updated.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
thank you guys. Her diet consists of pellets and fruit pieces. Most recently sunflower seeds and peanuts (which I did not pick out, I don't like feeding them to her) and I put the vitamins in her water. I can try getting her a cuttle bone though I think I would have to scrape it on her food instead. thanks for the link I'll check it out!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The cloaca can come out "sort of" as the egg is laid but should not stay out and should immediately retract. When a healthy hen lays it does pucker a bit but does not come out.

Go back to your routine and hopefully she won't lay any more but chances are she will.

If she was my bird I would have the vet look at her ASAP before she is due to lay another. If it does come out and does not go back in it's very important to keep it moist and get her to the vet to put it back in. They will most likely put a stitch or two in to keep it there. Laying any more eggs after that will be a problem if the stitches are still in. If the vet notices an egg on the way, they can extract the contents of the egg and then collapse it so it passes much easier.

Last edited:

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Ok, I know very little about egg binding as I've never had to deal with it but when you said "red skin from the inside" I immediately though of watching my Amazon poop - I know, weird! But she gets in the shower with my daily and perches on the shower curtain rod. For some odd reason I always look up before I step out to make sure she's not going to poop. I've noticed that when she is going to go, that area "pulsates" (for lack of a better word...lol) and when she does finally go, the red skin part comes out and then goes back In shortly after. Could it have been that she just pooped when you saw it? Just a thought. Hopefully someone else will be on that can answer better.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cuttlebone is a very low grade of calcium and at this late stage not good enough to build up calcium to an acceptable level IMO. A direct injection of pure calcium from the vet will be much more effective if she is deficient.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
I don't think there's a way to STOP a bird from laying eggs, but you have to figure out why is she laying in the first place? Does she have a mate? or a place that she might call a nest? Look at your behavior to her, do you pet her back? Does she see you as a mate?

Laying eggs is definitely hard on the female and can cause death if the bird is not ready. Does she get exercise? Is she flighted? What is her diet like? Does she have cuttlebone to supplement her calcium output? If she doesn't have a cuttlebone, get one! From egg laying in the past it could have depleted her reserves so she's having a difficult time with this clutch if it hasn't been replenished. The main reason for egg binding is calcium deficiency and lack of exercise.

1.Take a hard look at her diet and exercise habits to get her through this clutch (but it may be too late already if she is calcium deficient)
2.be ready to rush her to the vet if she gets in an egg binding episode this time around
3. concentrate on how you interact with your bird and what you have in her cage that could cause her to go into these 'nesty' episodes so hopefully you can stop it before it begins.

Hope this helps, keep us updated.
She does see me as a mate but I found that wasn't the problem. The problem was her staying up past sunset. I'm a night owl and in the past I kept her up for me a few hours after the sun went down. So her days were longer to her. When she started laying I researched and found that could be an issue, so put her to bed earlier and it worked. And this time when I kept her up a little longer for one night and got an egg the next day proved it.

She does not get exercise other than a few flights back and forth, and she does fly. Her diet I know now needs more vitamin D and protein in it. She is a very picky eater, but I have never caved to giving her only what she wants to eat. It's just slow sometimes. She has had a cuttlebone int he past but never touched it so I used to scrape it on her food which worked well.

I try not to pet her back. Not anymore. ot since I saw a video a few years ago explaining why it's a bad idea. Thank you so much for the help though, I'm going to tweak her diet and see what I can do to get her some birdie workout. Perhaps having her fly back and forth between me and a friend for a while would help?

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
thank you guys. Her diet consists of pellets and fruit pieces. Most recently sunflower seeds and peanuts (which I did not pick out, I don't like feeding them to her) and I put the vitamins in her water. I can try getting her a cuttle bone though I think I would have to scrape it on her food instead. thanks for the link I'll check it out!
I would cut the fat out of her diet. Its said that higher fat diets can spark breeding instincts and you said it was "most recently" with the peanuts and sunflowers which I beleive could add to the egg laying.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Don't wait for something to happen. Be proactive and consult with your vet immediately.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
Thank you so much for the help guys.

I'm going to take her off to the vet and get her some new diet and supplements tomorrow. I definitely don't have the money for the vet right now, but I'd rather be in dept by one small bill for some petty money than risk my best friend's health. I have an emergency vet I like but that's about it. Does anyone know of a vet-vet around me? My zip is 34667

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
also ease up on any warm soft foods....and I would definitely give her more than pellets and a few fruit pieces..she needs some veggies, birdie mashes etc in her diet.

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
One thing you can also try is moving her cage around to a different location.

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
I have had this problem and learned the hard way that it is deadly serious. My sweet little cockatiel could not stop laying and died from the stress.
Do you have a avian vet? Bring her in for a check up and a vitamin and calcium supplement.
Make sure she gets actual outside time for the UV rays - they can not adsorb the calcium with out the vitamins from UV ( windows block to much UV so don't just put her by a window )-
make sure she is getting enough sleep ( if you want her up with you ask your vet if she could just stay covered and sleep later to get her 10 to 12 hours ). Cut out fats ( no sunflower seeds ) and reduce her fresh foods a little. Review her diet with your vet. Move her cage and rearrange her toys. Add something new. I hope this help.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, sorry to see your bird having problems. Now here is what I would do it this were one of mine.

The diet of pellets is fine but you should not supplement at the same time. A calcium supplement such as Calci-Vet is OK during egg laying, it help form and firm the egg. As stated above a calcium injection by your vet may be required if the bird is calcium deficient. Most of the time a product like Calci-Vet is enough.

Next stop the peanuts, fats, and sugars from the birds diet and be careful on adding protein to the diet along with pellets, the pellets should have ample protein. Please review all supplement with your avian vet, more is not always better! Keep your vet appointment.

Please keep us posted

gary

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The egg laying thing is so scary.... going through it with Kita..... but I do recommend that anybody with a female bird have Calciboost on hand, you never know!! My AV told me that I should always have it in case of an egg binding emergency..........

Status
Not open for further replies.