• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Need Advice About Flying Folly and Grounded Truely

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Folly has molted in new wings and every chance she gets now she goes after Truely, who cannot fly anymore because she's shredded her flights on the left wing. Folly is still a beginner and is just learning My question is this... should I give Folly a light clip to keep her from charging Truely until Truely molts her new feather in? (Which will be in late May early June assuming she lets them grow in) or should I just try my best to keep Folly from harassing Truely? We do our best now, but sometimes she just escapes our hold and goes after Truely. I'm torn because I believe that one of the reason's Truely is shredding is because we gave HER a light clip. She could still fly but I think she knew something was "wrong" with her feathers and trying to "preen" them alright.

Ginger

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Folly has molted in new wings and every chance she gets now she goes after Truely, who cannot fly anymore because she's shredded her flights on the left wing. Folly is still a beginner and is just learning My question is this... should I give Folly a light clip to keep her from charging Truely until Truely molts her new feather in? (Which will be in late May early June assuming she lets them grow in) or should I just try my best to keep Folly from harassing Truely? We do our best now, but sometimes she just escapes our hold and goes after Truely. I'm torn because I believe that one of the reason's Truely is shredding is because we gave HER a light clip. She could still fly but I think she knew something was "wrong" with her feathers and trying to "preen" them alright.

Ginger
They should be permanently seperated. Truely being around Folly wont help Truely's new feathers when she molts. If Truely is feeling harassed, being in the same room as Folly must be terrifying. And without flight to boot. :( Permanent seperation is the only suggestion I have at this time. Also I would suggest talking to your avian vet about pinioning Truely. I think thats what it is called? When they take molted feathers from another G2 and somehow put them into Truely's current follicles. Or keep her coned until her flights are in and she realizes she can fly and the irritation of the clip is gone.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
No pinioning is where you cut off part of the wing to keep them from flying. This is such a dilemma, and there is no way out of it now.

Ginger

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: I really have no advice but I am thinking of you and sending positive energy your way. I know how stressful this must for you and I hope you can find a solution that makes everyone happy.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
No pinioning is where you cut off part of the wing to keep them from flying. This is such a dilemma, and there is no way out of it now.

Ginger
Imping is what I was thinking then :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Moby use to be very territorial with Opa, until Mali came home. Maybe you need another Goffins:)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would try to not clip Folly. If you do a light clip you will just return this cycle when truely is flighted. :( A new flighted bird takes some time to calm down. In the beginning they just want to go everywhere but it will get better.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
We're going to do the best we can to keep Folly from charging Truely and hopefully when her wings come in they can develop the same relationship that the Lovies have. They chase each other around but because everybody's flighted no one get's hurt.

Ginger

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Ginger, sorry you are having such a dilemma with Truely and Folly. I hope it all works out and I hope Truely leaves her flights alone.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
No Danita, Chotu is good (thank god) so we will not be going, but I can certainly email him to get his opinion.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.