• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I ne3d sugestions,help with my decision lol

godB4all13

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
I'm new to the forem..I'm buying a parot...I must have one that talks well .I had birds years ago.I love birds.can anyone tell me how to go about getting one like good breeders ..I'm afraid I'll find a bad breeder.im from fl...the panhandle...katie

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue.

There is no guarantee that any parrot will talk/mimic humans. You are best to focus on other things such as how you can provide the best for whatever bird you choose to be responsible for and share your home with.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

Like @Shezbug said, any species can have its talkers and non-talkers. For example, I've met some cockatiels that talk like crazy and can say multiple phrases. Mine does not - He can say "what are you doing" and whistle a few tunes, but that's all. Some quakers are amazing talkers, some aren't. Some cockatoos are wild about talking, some aren't (mine can say a few words and phrases, but nothing much).

It's a better idea to more so look at specifics regarding size of the bird, size of the cage you can accommodate, your price range, and things like that.

Talking aside, what are you looking for? Size? Personality?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Finding an adult that is already talking well would be the best chance, but still not a guarantee as they don't always chat in a new environment!

If you really want a baby, figure out the species you want based on cage size and budget for toys, food, etc, and then look up breeders from there. Look for reviews, social media, etc. Make sure to protect yourself! How to Spot a Parrot Scam

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
If your biggest want for a bird is for them to talk, then you're going to have a hard time.
Any bird may or may not talk, that's not something that should make or break the deal though.
Consider what bird you have time for, what noise level you can handle, energy level, how much you're home, cage size you can do, are you able to afford vet bills? Is there an ethical breeder that you can get a parrot from near you?

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcometrain:

godB4all13

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Welcome to the Avenue.

There is no guarantee that any parrot will talk/mi.mic humans. You are best to focus on other things such as how you can provide the best for whatever bird you choose to be responsible for1

Welcome to the Avenue.

There is no guarantee that any parrot will talk/mimic humans. You are best to focus on other things such as how you can provide the best for whatever bird you choose to be responsible for and share your home with.
[QUOTE
I'm new to the forem..I'm buying a parot...I must have one that talks well .I had birds years ago.I love birds.can anyone tell me how to go about getting one like good breeders ..I'm afraid I'll find a bad breeder.im from fl...the panhandle...katie
="Spearmint, post: 3665921, member: 51727"]
If your biggest want for a bird is for them to talk, then you're going to have a hard time.
Any bird may or may not talk, that's not something that should make or break the deal though.
Consider what bird you have time for, what noise level you can handle, energy level, how much you're home, cage size you can do, are you able to afford vet bills? Is there an ethical breeder that you can get a parrot from near you?
Well if I'm going to spend this much money then I want a bird that makes my home a better place because he or she's in it.Im aware there's no guarantee they will talk.but it's IF they have the ability is whatim saying.im not going to spend alot of money on a bird that doesnt
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

Like @Shezbug said, any species can have its talkers and non-talkers. For example, I've met some cockatiels that talk like crazy and can say multiple phrases. Mine does not - He can say "what are you doing" and whistle a few tunes, but that's all. Some quakers are amazing talkers, some aren't. Some cockatoos are wild about talking, some aren't (mine can say a few words and phrases, but nothing much).

It's a better idea to more so look at specifics regarding size of the bird, size of the cage you can accommodate, your price range, and things like that.

Talking aside, what are you looking for? Size? Personality?
I guess I am being misunderstood because I would never purchase a bird ONLY on well he talks…but I won’t purchase a bird that doesnt have the ability.I want a bird that has a cute,gentil ,kind fun ,random,very social personality that ALSO has been known to have the ability to talk.if he don’t talk when all is said and done …of course id love him anyways.my husband wants to build the cage.I live in a tiny home we built so not sure if a big bird can manage here.I will be spending hours a day with it.I know now they need like 12 toys in their cage at once if their big birds.I’m not sure I want a cockatoo if they will yell all day..my heart was set on a Indian ring neck bird,or the one that you can’t hold too much cause of something with hormones and oils in their feathers if you do..starts with a C lol

godB4all13

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
The vet bill is how much?that’s honestly my only concern.I can do all the other concerns.I’ve had like h cocateils and two other parrots years ago so it’s not my first bird I’m looking to buy..I’m unaware of breeders near me.I’m scared to buy from a pet store…

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All parrots can talk :) The world record for words known is held by a humble budgie!

My vet bills are usually $200-$500

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want a bird that has a cute,gentil ,kind fun ,random,very social personality
I would really advise you to read the Good, Bad and Ugly threads for the species that you are interested. Unfortunately, most parrots do not have the personality that you seek. They ultimately are wild animals. Most parrot species do not have significant histories of domestication and are separated from their wild ancestors by only a few generations - if that. They are deeply attuned to their flock and can be incredibly sensitive, but what this seems to mean in practice is that they pick up on and magnify your emotions. If you're stressed and upset, they won't come and snuggle with you to make you feel better. Instead, they will think that there is a reason for you to be stressed and upset, so they will also become stressed and upset.

Ultimately, the challenge with birds is to meet them where they are. They are wild spirits that we have brought into our homes. They refuse to conform to what we want from them, but you can build something truly special if you're prepared to be flexible and truly understand their needs.

Last edited:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you live somewhere that has a parrot rescue? For me that was the best way to get an idea of which parrots were likely to be the best for for me and the way my home is set up.

When I was looking it was also important to me that I would be the best fit for the parrot, so certain species weren't an option from the beginning based on my lifestyle and work and house.

I second everything @tka said above, too.

My relationship with my first parrot is different than any other animal I've lived with, and it blows my mind every day. It's a lot of work compared to building relationships with new people, although most new human friends won't ever bite me or scream all day when they're hormonal ;) ~ but it's also deeply rewarding to develop communication with an animal that is sentient and emotional and can choose to like me or not.

There's a ton of info in the Good Bad and Ugly stickies - I know I read through loads of threads here before I got my guy :)

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
The vet bill is how much?that’s honestly my only concern.I can do all the other concerns.I’ve had like h cocateils and two other parrots years ago so it’s not my first bird I’m looking to buy..I’m unaware of breeders near me.I’m scared to buy from a pet store…
My vet bills are usually between $300-$600 AUD.
Search and find breeders near you, and also make sure you're near an avian vet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My vet bills are usually between $300-$600 AUD.
Search and find breeders near you, and also make sure you're near an avian vet.
That is the same for me with a simple yearly check up... I hope to never have to experience what an actual emergency vet bill looks like or a vet bill for surgery, ongoing illness etc.