• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I met my very first cockatoo today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I was helping my mom clean up from Hurricane Irene, and we needed supplies. We ran to this small hardware store and there was a new pet store that opened right next door. We decided to take a break from the hard labor and browse. As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by a very adorable little cockatoo! He didn't say much, but he did this adorable thing where he would scritch his own chin with his little footie. He did say hello over and over and over. :hehe:

Turns out, his name is Vlad. He is 8 years old and he is the owner's bird. We weren't allowed to hold him (there was a little drawing above his cage of a hand with a bleeding, severed finger:huh:) He is also not for sale, as my mom immediately asked, "Can I buy him?" LOL. My mom is in love, but I quickly talked her out of it.

The owner also had a blue and gold macaw. He was behind the counter, on a stand, so it was hard to interact with him. The only birds for sale were a tiel and a GCC. I wonder if they will eventually sell the bigger guys, since they own some.

There was also a cat sleeping in a half empty box of dog food.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
You should introduce your mom to 'cakes'. No quarantine problems & she would have someone to protect her from Kiwi. :D

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
You should introduce your mom to 'cakes'. No quarantine problems & she would have someone to protect her from Kiwi. :D
No cakes for me. I get all of the cakes.:dance4:

I swear, if they had a cake for sale, I couldn't promise I wouldn't have brought him home. Luckily for me, the biggest bird our pet stores sell are sun conures. And I already have one.;)

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I would be so afraid Kiwi would be jealous or the cake would pick on him. Are you getting a pair or just 1? You guys have such a close relationship, theres bound to be adjustment.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I would be so afraid Kiwi would be jealous or the cake would pick on him. Are you getting a pair or just 1? You guys have such a close relationship, theres bound to be adjustment.
I'm thinking a pair. When it's time, I will do more research. From what I understand, cakes do better as a pair, anyway.

Julsiebean

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Julie
I've met a few toos, loved them all. The young Goffins wrestled like puppes and I was OMG DO WANT!!! for days afterwards. I met a u2 that let me love on her endlessly. Again I was all DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Phew. Glad that passed, until next time.;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Bridgette, do you know what kind of Too Vlad is? I'm glad your meeting with him went so well. Maybe someday you can meet our Milton. He enjoys meeting new people...

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Vlad is a sulfur crested. He was so cute. I was just in awe of how he was so interactive. Kiwi is, but only if there is something in it for him! LOL!!

I would love to meet Milton. He sounds like such a sweetie:heart:

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I have met quite a few toos and they are a blast. Huge cuddle bugs! I eventually want one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.