• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I love my cockatiel very much, but I think it's time to say goodbye

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
o_O Animals don't always show affection the way we can easily see. Nicto and Patronus are hands off still, I have had them since Halloween 2012. I know they love me though and are very happy where they are because they sing, make heart wings, play with their toys and delve into the foods I give them like it is going out of style. Patronus hisses still when I try to feed him but he always makes up for it in his own way.

Birds are complicated beings. Not all of them will be snuggly and even my most snuggly guy, Elvis, will occasionally get a feather across his tush and put me in my place with a well placed beak.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I will always believe that a break through with many animals who are shy or aloof of us is time and finding that perfect treat as a peace offering. How old is your bird? Where did you get him/her from? It takes time sometimes when you have a bird that has not had much of human interaction. They have no idea what is like to be this way. It is going to take time to get to know each other. Some birds just like to do their thing and are fine with People being around and some are hands off birds. You have to ask yourself if the companionship of this birds in presence is something that you can accept? Not all birds want to be handled, or sit on your shoulder. Bird when ready will surely let you know when they want some attention it just takes time. :)

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
You can have a totally great relationship with your tiel without needing to put your hands on your bird. Mica, my tiel in the picture, doesn't like to be touched. She has learned to trust me enough to sit on my shoulder though, so as long as I don't try to touch her she is happy to be with me and sing and talk and mostly just hang out.
I would take all the great advice you have been given here and give your bird more time.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Frisco, my oldest tiel, has been with me almost his whole life. He's in his late twenties and still doesn't like hands. He will occasionally perch on my head.

He has a full, happy life and is loved, by his flock mates and by me. He doesn't need to be anything other than what he is.

yvette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Yvette
I think when we have high expectations it goes bad. When I realized that my grey may never be the cuddly bird I dreamed of..it became so simple to just love him for him. In 4 years he allows me to scratch his head, rub his neck and he perches on my hand. We have come a long way!
I accept him for him and as he trusts me more and more, we become even closer. Patience is a must when owning and caring for birds. Thats my experience anyways!