• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a hatchling!

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Thank you Laurul, this will be very helpful if any more of the eggs hatch.

Ocean, I have no idea why it died. It was their first ever chick so there could have been something wrong with it. Or they could have been to inexperienced to take care of it. Or I could have done something. I just don't know.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It is not unusual for inexperienced parents to lose their first hatched chick. The birds are completely inexperienced and all their instincts have to be newly triggered. I had one cock bird abuse his new chicks because he thought they were intruders in his nest. I just removed him from the cage and the hen raised the babies herself. When you have another hatchling, you should check twice a day to see if the parents are feeding the baby; check the crop to see if it has food in it. With cockatiels, they make a signature sound when they feed the babies and once I realized that, I listened for the sound to confirm the parents were feeding at least some of the babies.

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Another chick hatched sometime between yesterday afternoon and just now. The parents get really agitated when I check the nest so I may just check once a day so the poor male doesn't die of an apoplexy.

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
More news, a third chick hatched but the second hatchling might be dead. It is turning dark. The male was way to upset for me to get a good look though so it could have been a shadow. I just couldn't tell.