• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a GCC and may have the opportunity to adopt a Maxi Pi!

lippstikk

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mandi
I have a 4 month old cinnamon GCC female and am talking with a couple about adopting their 13 year old female maxi (rehoming due to human health issues). The maxi is adorable and sweet and even gets along with their dogs (bonus for me since I have a pooch who likes my GCC). My question is, has anyone had both GCCs and Pis and (I know its bird specific, but I am looking for trends), did they get along ok? I don't need them to be buddies, but I would like to be able to have them out on the tree together. I work full time, so it would be hard if I could only have one out at a time. Please share ALL thoughts, wisdom, cautions, anything you've got! This would be my first Pi, I have read a lot and have interacted with a male blue headed before.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Dartman maybe able to give you some insights. He has a Greenie and Pionus but I'm not sure if they are ever out at the same time.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
@Dartman maybe able to give you some insights. He has a Greenie and Pionus but I'm not sure if they are ever out at the same time.
Depends on the Maxi, some will be fine with other smaller birds, some will hate the smaller bird because it flies better than they do and make it their mission to kill it.
The Green Cheeks tend to be agressive as well so any time out together better be carefully supervised or someone is going to get hurt or killed.
Dobby is very easy going and likes other birds, Nerd bird did not and tried to kill them.

lippstikk

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mandi
Depends on the Maxi, some will be fine with other smaller birds, some will hate the smaller bird because it flies better than they do and make it their mission to kill it.
The Green Cheeks tend to be agressive as well so any time out together better be carefully supervised or someone is going to get hurt or killed.
Dobby is very easy going and likes other birds, Nerd bird did not and tried to kill them.
That's great information. From what the current owners have said, this maxi is very laid back and is even "picked on" by their cockatiel so they have to keep the cockatiel away from her so she doesn't get bullied. I always watch my animals closely though just to be safe. I call it my "momma eye". haha. I have read numerous of your other thread posts about pionus, but if you could only give 2 tips to someone about to own one, what would you say? If you don't mind. THANK YOU!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They watch what goes on with their new flock figuring things out for themselves. Be patient and let the bird take the lead. If you are lucky he will decide your awesome right away and be your friend, if not take the long term approach, it might take a while but once they decide your trustworthy and a friend they will be loyal to you for the rest of their life.
More than two but I think that covers the high points. I have had most of the attitudes a Maxi can have, most are laid back and gentle, but you can also get a broken used bird that will bite first and ask questions later.