• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a feeling Zu is just not a people bird

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
I know it's only been a short time and I am still working with him, but Zu shows NO interest in people. None. He's really come out of his shell, but will yell and make sooo much noise, then fly to the couch, shuffle town the baby gate and fly to the other birds then spend the day talking to them. He adores them. Sillybird used to rock and hiss at Zu, but I think she relaxed and I know the budgies chatter away like nothings going on. :p They're in their own little world.
I've tried everything though. I give him treats/snacks, which he takes no problem..but he doesn't seek people out. It's almost like he sees people as the "background". We're there, but that's it. When I take him from his "friends" to his cage I am a nuisance. When I give him treats, I am a treat dispenser. When I give him a scritch I am a scritch machine.. but no companion.
I know some birds aren't "people birds" and if that is how Zu is, then okay. I'll be a bit sad since I was seeking a companion when I adopted him, but I'd be okay with it. One of these days we will find a people bird if Zu is not it. He's still spoiled rotten though :p Little stinker has some mashed potatoes tonight. I kept trying to have him eat a green bean and he refused to touch it. Stubborn bird.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You never know, he may come around. Sometimes we just have to relax and let things flow. And then sometimes they surprise us and suddenly become cuddly. He may be feeling what you are feeling, so try to feel happy and ok with your world, and like it does not bother you a bit.:hug8:

sweet francis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
lindsey
Was he ever quarantined from the rest of your flock? I think it is beneficial to have a bonding period with a fearful, new bird without distraction from other birds. Not to mention protecting the health and safety of your established flock.

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
I don't know, there are a few stories on here about birds suddenly coming around after years of patience and love. Anzu may surprise you yet.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I hear you. Tangle and Finbar are both like that. To them, I'm just there and they couldn't care less. :rolleyes: But as the others said, he may still surprise you. I never expected Skylin to become such a people bird. He was phobic and then just standoffish, and now he's one of the most people-oriented birds in my flock.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I know it's only been a short time and I am still working with him, but Zu shows NO interest in people.
This is the operative statement. Time is on your side. There is no rush and you can't rush it even if you wanted to. That will just result in failure.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Was he ever quarantined from the rest of your flock? I think it is beneficial to have a bonding period with a fearful, new bird without distraction from other birds. Not to mention protecting the health and safety of your established flock.
Good point the other birds might be a distraction I mean why bond with a human if I have all these birdie friends. Maybe keep him away for some mom on ZU time..

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Dexter is not a people bird, he prefers to do his own thing. He will occasionally come and cuddle with me and talk to me but its not that often.

The way I look at it is, I'm happy if he's happy!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I agree about the bonding time in quarantine. Zia likes being with the other birds but she wants to be with me as well.

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
We did have a semi-quarantine going (best we can with a 2 bedroom condo) but one day he decided to fly over to where he heard the other birds. I have been off and on considering breeding the budgies as a hobby (and possibly keeping the babies. We'll see) so I may be moving them to the bedroom. My fiance works nights though and spends his days sleeping in our room. I need to see if he thinks he can handle the budgies chattering away all day. He's a deep sleeper, so probably.
The ad for him said he was untame and would probably do better with other birds instead of people, but I'm still hoping he comes around.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Our lovies have taken a long while to start coming around, they're still doing things on their terms, but finally they're starting to fly onto me willingly. I am not allowed to participate in scritching of them whilst they are there for now and I am still treated like a slave - water, feed, clean and such with them. But they're very slowly coming around and seeing us as things they can actually interact with and not just yell at. :D

Give the little stinker time. :cool:

I think they can tell when they are being pressured into being a companion - my relationship with M-Star suddenly turned when I accepted that I may have a bird that just wants to be a bird and not have any human interaction. Going away for a week may have helped but the week after we came back, she was willing to work on being a companion with me. :cool1:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
At least he was not misrepresented by the seller. Imagine how excited he would be if the other birds were his same species and showed an interest in him. Since they are not I would guess eventually he will turn to you for companionship, especially if you let it be his choice.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
My cockatiels aren't really people birds. Apollo will interact with me thru bars or at a distance by whistling and being quite cute - as long as hands are nowhere to be seen! Lol! I let them come out of the cage by themselves and it's difficult to get them back into their cage. When they finally land on thier cage, they trust me enough to step up for me to put them in, though. :) The BIGGEST compliment was when Apollo flew to my shoulder, did the cat call whistle and a kiss sound, then flew back to his girl!!! I think it's so very rewarding when the mistrustful ones begin to trust:heart: They are still a work in progress, but they are only about 5 years old. I've had them for about 3 years.