• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a big fat secret......

Status
Not open for further replies.

nayrgaijin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ryan
Everyone is being really nice about this man, you should re-consider and just save for a weaned T2. Even if money is not the issue, like others have said it will still bond to you without having to wean it.

I haven't read much of birds, but I understand that weaning a bird is more complex than just reading about how to do it. I'm sure it requires more first hand experience with someone that has done it before, rather than someone just taking the plunge and risking the little T2's life.

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
Things I want to clear up:

1. I'm not an evil troll trying to get attention i swear.....

2. Kelly, I live in a condominium. Neighbors never complained a thing about my sun's scream. (yes.....i know that toos are louder)

3. Emily, the breeder taught me how to hand-feed and I did. On live babies. And on the bonding before weaning, yes i know that birds dont bond more because you wean it.

4. Ming-Ming, Yes, toos wean at 8-9 months. Some can last till they're a year old. Abundance weaning is letting the baby wean on its own. My whole living room is the bird's flying area. and my room. Yeah, i handfed toos before. They pump really hard. I'm planning on target training the too and trick training and potty training and flight training. I also listened to that vid on the screaming too.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
So, you've what? Been practicing for a month or two? Because i dont think it was too long ago when you posted and had absolutely NO experience.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
No, no, no, no, no. I just started but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm not lying i swear. Started for a week and a half (not that long i know..)

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Alright Raymond... we obviously can't change your mind.
Just be prepared, and I wish you the best of luck.

Edit: OR, if you want to be apart of its upbringing, why not work with the breeder and raise it at the breeders? That way you will be supervised with someone who has experience, and you still are apart of it growing up.
Why do you want to hand-feed and wean it yourself anyways, out of curiosity? =)

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Do you have someone lined up to feed it every two hours or whenever it needs it while you are out of the house and are they educated on what to do to avoid aspiration, etc? What you want to do is very risky for the baby.

Pip

Jogging around the block
I've just been reading about the Grey you're getting in a month. Will you be hand-rearing that bird too?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Apparently the breeder is selling the parents, it would only be one bird to keep there until it's weaned, don't see the harm. Hand-feeding for a few weeks isn't nearly enough.. have you read about all the dangers and such?

I just hope the neighbors can handle a screaming 'too which is different to a screaming Sun.. would be sad to see you have to re-home it due to complaints when you knew in the first place that they can and will be loud.

BTW, what about vet bills, a cage, toys, food etc, are you able to pay for all this? a 'too isn't going to be inexpensive.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I've just been reading about the Grey you're getting in a month. Will you be hand-rearing that bird too?
I sure hope not. I do wonder what their parents say about this grey.. and now a 'too. Hmm.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Your parents have no clue as to what your getting into do they?

I recommend going to mytoos.com, turn UP the volume to full blast and play that every morning and night for one full hour each for a week or more.... what will you, your parents, neighbors think of that?

Why are you even thinking of getting a 'too?????

They need a HUGE cage. A 48" length x 36"depth and 5ft inside height bare minimum for a Large 'too.

Toys are soooo expensive. $15-35 each. And you need atleast 8 to start out with. The 'too will go through that many in no time at all.

VET care is super expensive.

How do you plan on raising it? AFFORD it now and long term?

COCKATOOS are so unique. It takes an expert to truly RAISE it right so it doesnt develop behavior issues. And takes a greater expert to prevent and to work with them.

You are way in over your head.

Last edited:

idrial

Meeting neighbors
Most parents don't shell out that kind of money without more involvement. Raymond, I am not sure why you continue to go down this path. If I were you I would instead focus on handfeeding more babies with the trainer. Weeks/months experience is not enough, period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Guys ..

Perhaps we all need to put this issue into perspective. Really ...

I think this is just a ploy for attention and drama. I mean, think about it, where does a person who is still being supported by parents, get the funds to buy a Too? Even the worst parents in the world would probably have some time of involvement/say in bringing that type of bird into their home.

Perhaps it's the parents who are getting the bird, and the person is just living the "experience" thru them.

School starts in what .. a month or so? Really, there is no way a person who is going to school, can hand feed a bird every few hours.

I think the OP is like any person of his age, looking for a bit of attention, wanting to be a focus.

This is the internet after all, people can say anything they want to, who's to know whether it's the truth or not?

JMHO

Last edited:

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Birdiemarie, My mom will take care of the baby too when I'm at school.

Pip, um huh? I'm not sure what your talking about. The thread on the other forum before?

Renae, my parents made it reawl clear that they are not gonna help me with any funds. Only cage and foods. The vet bills and toys I'm gonna pay for it myself. I have a savings account in the bank from when I was little. All my christmas money, b-day money, new years money goes there. There is about $9000. Its like my emergency bird money. Please believe me, I'm not lying.....

Mercedez, my mom knows about what I'm the too is gonna be like when it grows up. Dad doesnt really know. Gonna tell him.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
o THAT thread......it turns out that the breeder sold the last baby grey thats why :/

Pip

Jogging around the block
o THAT thread......it turns out that the breeder sold the last baby grey thats why :/
Ah I see! Well at least you've been researching thoroughly for a good long while about hand-rearing a 'Too....well, for eight days anyway.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I really don't want to sound rude, but I'm concerned for this baby bird (even though you haven't got it yet), a lot of us are, and it's understandable because this is an unweaned baby you're talking about.

Are you planning on teaching your mum how to hand-feed, this is something she's going to have to go through as well, so it's going to take longer (by this time, the baby can be staying put and continue to be hand-fed by someone experienced..) and if something goes wrong while you're at school?

You also need to keep in mind, if you go to College, or if you get a job at some stage, you need to think about this bird then as well, you're not going to be able to rely on your parents all the time, the bird is yours, therefore, you're responsible for it.

I s'pose, since no one here can change your mind, you do a ton more research, especially on hand-feeding even though you're being taught, you always learn something new. And about 'toos as they get older, behavior problems and such.

They're HONESTLY not a walk in the park, they may seem so cute and fun when they're small and young, and then they get older and start talking and being the "best bird ever" but there's so much more to 'toos then most people think. (I mean, people that want to get a 'too, or have gotten one and re-homed it due to whatever reason)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I understand that this could be a huge childish thing..which I hope it is.....

Iluvsunconure---

Do you randomly bite your parents causing your parents to go to the Emergency room?? Scream all the time, like when your parents are on the phone or during a movie? Bite your parents hand when they hand you a treat? Throw a HUGE temper tantrum if you dont get what you want? Do you throw food on the walls and floor? Do you poop in random places? Do you actively go on a seek and destroy mission and damage furniture and want to HARM other pets in the house? These and so much more are COMMON cockatoo traits. Most BIRD people cannot even handle a cockatoos natural behavior. Your just a kid, so young, why do you think you can handle all of this when most people cant?

I, when I was a youngen, wanted a cockatoo. I have wanted one since I was 4! And I am so glad I didnt get one when I was just starting my teenage years and just hitting puberty and hormones.

Edit: sorry didnt see your post

Status
Not open for further replies.