• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I got a Pacific Blue Parrotlet today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
I went to a bird show and it was an auction, she is 2 years old, not tame, and no name, but I had to bring her home, always wanted one and she went through 3 rounds no one bid on her but me..

I have never had a Parrotlet before, and frankly never had an untamed bird before, I got my tiels as babies..so I guess I am in for some work and could use some help..

Should I keep her in the little carry cage for tonight and put her in the bigger one tomorrow?

I have decided to name her Noel, since she is my Christmas gift to me..:hehe:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe lucky Noel...

I cant believe they actually have bird auctions...very sad.

but Noel is in a better place now.

I would keep the little sweetheart in the carrier for now...or put it inside the larger cage for her to come out on her own?

When i got my parrotlet she hated me! It took quite a while but with daily interaction, she is just such a sweet little girl now.

i can't wait to hear all about your new baby!

Evelyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
Well thanks for the idea of putting the little carrier into the bigger cage, yeah, I thought it was a regular bird show, so I stuck around to see how the auction went and asked how to bid and all that, so I guess I did it right ..I know it is going to take a lot of time for her to settle in as I suspect she was a breeder, wasn't told that but think it anyway..she will have a good forever home, no matter if she likes me or not..

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
So what did you decide to do with the cage/carrier?

Evelyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
I set up the cage, and put my hand in the carrier, she got a little upset, but not crazy, so I gently grabbed her, held her in my hand, she let me rub her face and head, then I put her in the big cage and she seemed to take to it right away, played with all her new toys and ate, I covered it half way with a blankie to let her feel safe and she seems fine, taking herself and nap right now..I am so in love..:dancing:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Congratulations!!! Noel is a beautiful name!!! :dance4:
Nice to hear she's playing with the toys already! :heart:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
one of our bird fairs has a Auction, the birds are always donated by members of the club....... all proceeds go to the bird club one has a Raffle and a few times it's been a bird and the way it works is the same way only the sellers can also donate. but the 2 i've seen it was a member of the bird club who did it.

but the few times i've went, there didn't seem to be any "non bird people" there thee customers knew what they were doing, looking for and talking about. (when your waiting to see a certain bird/table you tend to over here their conversations LOL

I've never really seen any that had any body who didn't own birds.I'm not saying there isn't but the ones i've been to the customers are very knowledgeable and they know why they're there.

We've looked into being a seller at a bird fair, but You have to donate something for their raffle tables and we never have anything to donate. Most donate cages Well all my cages are in use and I need them lol but we may some day. never know.

Last edited:

Evelyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
one of our bird fairs has a Auction, the birds are always donated by members of the club....... all proceeds go to the bird club one has a Raffle and a few times it's been a bird and the way it works is the same way only the sellers can also donate. but the 2 i've seen it was a member of the bird club who did it.
but the few times i've went, there didn't seem to be any "non bird people" there thee customers knew what they were doing, looking for and talking about. (when your waiting to see a certain bird/table you tend to over here their conversations LOL

I've never really seen any that had any body who didn't own birds.I'm not saying there isn't but the ones i've been to the customers are very knowledgeable and they know why they're there.

We've looked into being a seller at a bird fair, but You have to donate something for their raffle tables and we never have anything to donate. Most donate cages Well all my cages are in use and I need them lol but we may some day. never know.
Well I did talk to a breeder of Cockatiels, the birds had a card on the cage with info, most had a lot of imformation and that is what the Auctioner read from, Noel's card has no name, only her age, 2 years and what she eats..The Palm Bay bird club put this on and they only took 10 per cent of the sale of the bird, all the others seem to have the owners name on the card, but Noel's didn't..so I have very little to go on except, I love her..:heart: most people were shoppers and a lot of the owners were not there as I understand..but I am also new at bird shows, this was the 3rd one I have ever been too and the first that was an auction..

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
congrats on your new baby I love the name

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
I set up the cage, and put my hand in the carrier, she got a little upset, but not crazy, so I gently grabbed her, held her in my hand, she let me rub her face and head, then I put her in the big cage and she seemed to take to it right away, played with all her new toys and ate, I covered it half way with a blankie to let her feel safe and she seems fine, taking herself and nap right now..I am so in love..:dancing:
That is awesome!! What a great first night home!! I also love her name!!
Sounds like a match made in heaven!

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Congrats to you and Noel! I got Yoshi at around 6 mos and he wasn't hand tame but didn't bite which was good. They are really pleasant fun birds to have around but I'm thinking if you want to, you won't have any trouble getting Noel comfortable enough with you to ride around in your hoodie or on your shoulder.

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
Excellent! It sounds like Noel is definitely "tame" if she let you grab her and rub her head. Let us know how she does over the next week or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.