• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel terrible. His wings were clipped..

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So yesterday Memphis (I know I changed his name but this time its official..) had his 1st blood panels, dna etc done at the avian vet.
..I asked if they could trim his nails and if they thought his wings were too long they could trim them.
Hes been able to fly from the ground. And fly around with no problems.I know the whole wing thing is a touchy subject and I understand that..
Anyway,, because of covid you're not allowed inside while they tend to your birds so I didn't see what they were doing.
After getting home (it was an hour and a half drive) I realized they really cut his wings where he keeps falling off things (I think because his nails are shorter and he cant grasp as well) and he can't fly back up like he used to.
Now I see him walking and all I see is a little guy with his arms ttied behind his back..I feel so guilty, and he doesn't understand what happened im sure. I might feel differently later but I don't think I want to ever have his wings clipped again..he just wanted to cuddle and be consoled the rest of the day yesterday
20201022_170110.jpg

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
They will grow back. Show him extra loves and tote him around.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
I didn't reaize it might be that long..ugh..I know he seems to be getting new feathers right now..
My conure even when clipped flies across a room because:fidmagic: (I think he has 2 primaries left on both wings)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am sorry that it did not work out how you hoped. I just wanted to offer an explanation of how feathers grow since it may be helpful to you in the future.

Feathers do not grow like hair or nails they are completely replaced when a bird molts, usually with parrots this is once a year. Also a new feather will grow if one gets prematurely removed.

So when a feather falls out during molt or is pulled out or lost a new one will grow to replace it. It grows from the follicle, starting as a pin feather. It looks like a little stick and it is in cased in keratin. As it grows out the bird preens and removes the keratin sheath exposing the new feather. Once fully grown in a feather has no blood supply and is not a living structure. It can not grow or heal itself and it begins to slowly wear out over the course of the next year. Eventually it will molt and another new one will replace it.

When birds wings are clipped they are trimming off the outer tips of the flight feathers. Those feathers will remain short forever. Eventually they will fall out and be replaced by new full length feathers.

So birds never have feathers that are too long or short, they don't need grooming from people. They are either clipped or they are not.

Nails on the other hand grow like ours do and can get too long and need maintenance.

The good news is you little guy will adapt to the clip and then when he molts and gets new feathers he can fly again.

All my best wishes to you and your little bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
..I asked if they could trim his nails and if they thought his wings were too long they could trim them.
A Birds flight feathers will not get too long. The vet interpreted your request to cut them I guess. The wait for regrowth can take up to a year. In the meantime keep your bird safe, away from other pets if you have any and away from being on the floor. Birds who have cut flight feathers often like climbing ladders for exercise.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I hate clipping any of my birds but sometimes it's needed for safety or other reasons. The feathers grow back but the hurt I feel when they try to fly and end up on the floor takes a long time to heal. What's even worse is having one clipped and the others flighted. The odd bird out feeling is heartbreaking.

Right now Cheddar has a "Half Clip" to make it easier for BB to get away as he's fully clipped. The Half Clip on Cheddar didn't even slow him down. So I'm waiting for the molting to start.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I would get boings and ladders he can easily access from his cage because he can't get that exercise he would be getting if he were to be able to fly. Good luck!

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I am sorry that it did not work out how you hoped. I just wanted to offer an explanation of how feathers grow since it may be helpful to you in the future.

Feathers do not grow like hair or nails they are completely replaced when a bird molts, usually with parrots this is once a year. Also a new feather will grow if one gets prematurely removed.

So when a feather falls out during molt or is pulled out or lost a new one will grow to replace it. It grows from the follicle, starting as a pin feather. It looks like a little stick and it is in cased in keratin. As it grows out the bird preens and removes the keratin sheath exposing the new feather. Once fully grown in a feather has no blood supply and is not a living structure. It can not grow or heal itself and it begins to slowly wear out over the course of the next year. Eventually it will molt and another new one will replace it.

When birds wings are clipped they are trimming off the outer tips of the flight feathers. Those feathers will remain short forever. Eventually they will fall out and be replaced by new full length feathers.

So birds never have feathers that are too long or short, they don't need grooming from people. They are either clipped or they are not.

Nails on the other hand grow like ours do and can get too long and need maintenance.

The good news is you little guy will adapt to the clip and then when he molts and gets new feathers he can fly again.

Thank you! and thats very helpful. I had no idea!

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
A Birds flight feathers will not get too long. The vet interpreted your request to cut them I guess. The wait for regrowth can take up to a year. In the meantime keep your bird safe, away from other pets if you have any and away from being on the floor. Birds who have cut flight feathers often like climbing ladders for exercise.
Thanks..I see some more ladder purchases to get around..

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I hate clipping any of my birds but sometimes it's needed for safety or other reasons. The feathers grow back but the hurt I feel when they try to fly and end up on the floor takes a long time to heal. What's even worse is having one clipped and the others flighted. The odd bird out feeling is heartbreaking.

Right now Cheddar has a "Half Clip" to make it easier for BB to get away as he's fully clipped. The Half Clip on Cheddar didn't even slow him down. So I'm waiting for the molting to start.
I hate seeing him fall to the ground.it does hurt..

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I had a Parrotlet for years, Streak Da Beak, that I tried to clip...once. Waste of time and money as he was such a strong flier and so light I use to joke "I could cut his wings off, duct tape him to a bowling ball and he'd still fly by flapping his eyebrows". Only thing it did was make him go straight mainly right into the wall. I sure miss him.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hate seeing him fall to the ground.it does hurt..
Be careful - he can severely injure himself without any flight feathers to break his fall.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran

This is a beautiful explanation. I just wanted to add one analogy that might be useful for visualization. The closest thing humans experience to the way feathers grow is in our teeth. A broken baby tooth stays broken, but it will eventually fall out and be replaced with an entirely new tooth.

Additionally, teeth and feathers can both be uncomfortable while they're growing in, making the owners understandably cranky.

We don't get a whole fresh set of chompers every year, but otherwise, they're pretty similar.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
I'm sorry this happened to you two. :( I hope his feathers grow back soon.

In the meantime, like others have said, giving him other ways to increase his mobility will make this less frustrating. Also trying to pay attention to his signals on where he wants to go. Poppy was clipped before I got her in April, and has just gotten in a primary feather on each wing (still can't fly yet though). She uses headbobs to tell me if she wants to go somewhere, and if she's allowed to be there, I bring her to that place because she can't do it herself.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
This is a beautiful explanation. I just wanted to add one analogy that might be useful for visualization. The closest thing humans experience to the way feathers grow is in our teeth. A broken baby tooth stays broken, but it will eventually fall out and be replaced with an entirely new tooth.

Additionally, teeth and feathers can both be uncomfortable while they're growing in, making the owners understandably cranky.

We don't get a whole fresh set of chompers every year, but otherwise, they're pretty similar.
Thank you. That really helps!