• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel so guilty :(

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Both Maui and Tiki's wings have grown out, and they love it, I know people said Linnies aren't big on flying, but my two do like it, they fly around landing on things as look outs, and calling to each other, it's really sweet :) <3

My parents, on the other hand, aren't so thrilled, my mom and dad want them clipped, my dad gets really mean about it, my mom just wants it done for safety reasons, she doesn't want them smashing into something (they haven't as of yet) or getting out. I just feel awful taking something they love away from them :(

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
Don't clip them! They will be much happier flighted. You wouldn't cut off a dog's feet to keep it from running away.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
It's not me who wants to clip them, as I stated, it's my parents.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You won't always be with mom and dad, and when you have your own place, they can fly till their heart's content.

Sometimes it's hard when you're asked to do something you know isn't the best for your birds.

Have you tried any compromises with your parents? Like out and flying in your bedroom only?

wyrinth

Avenue Veteran
While living at your parent's house you have to respect their rules. Maybe they aren't thrilled to have the birds buzzing above their heads, or leaving poop behind in all sorts of places. Clipping the bird's wings is not a permanent thing. Every year they grow back. Also, it doesn't have to be drastic....a few primaries to decrease lift will prevent them from flying around, but won't "cripple" them, they can still use their wings to move from place to place. Some non bird people do not appreciate the birds being everywhere. Either the birds need to be conditioned to stay in one area or they need to be managed by a wing clip. I am assuming that if it weren't for you, your parents would not have gotten any birds at all, but they respected your wishes for a pet. I would do the same for their wishes.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Their cage isn't in my room,
It's a floor cage, and it's difficult to move around. it's hard to explain, but we have 2 "living rooms" one is with couches and tv and the other is more of a sitting room, with kind of lazy boy chairs. They both don't like to be alone, if we leave the gate open, they fly to come find us, we have a smaller cage we keep with us to keep them occupied, in whatever room we are in, or when they are outside, they go in the smaller cage.

Edit: My mom has had birds in the past, it's really my dad who isn't trilled about them flying everywhere. I adopted Maui, my mom Adopted Tiki.

Chihuahua

It may not be permanent but birds can self-mutilate, scream etc as a result of clipping. I'm witnessing it myself right now. That IS a big deal and it's extremely unfair to the birds.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry that you are having this disagreement with your parents :sadhug2:But I agree with everything @wyrinth said. :sadhug2:

You have to keep the peace in your home, but maybe you could show your dad articles/threads etc. to help him understand why not clipping is good for your birds.

I wish you and your linnies the best :bighug:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If you end up having to have them clipped, consider asking for a light clip or show clip instead of a full clip. I've found with birds like my gccs it still lets them fly a little but not enough to zoom around a room. Fids are much happier flighted though.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I don't have a choice, I either continue to get yelled at by my dad or give them away, and I can't give them away so, unfortunately.... :(

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
If you ask me, beeing clipped isnt the worst situation they can be in!
Sure, a bird needs to fly, but at least they now have some freedom!

Think of it this way.. Would they prefer to be clipped and out, or not clipped and lockec into a cage?

I have my baby Senegal parrot from a breeder who clipped her, supposingly to ease the taming process, but i can assure you she gets around just as easily! And we do the flying excersize where she sits on my finger and i lower my finger quickly, and then she flaps her wings as though she was flying! I try to do this as much as i think she would normally spend flying, and she seems to enjoy it just as much as i do! And at least this way i am making sure her wing muscles keep busy untill her feather have grown :)

Maybe a tip for you? Put them on your finger and drop it, and get them to "fly" ? Maybe reward them, so they're gonna see it as something positive? That way you can make sure they use their wings :)
The only downside is their nails IN your finger, but that really is a small price to pay if you ask me :)

If i make any sense.. If not i'm sorry :)

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
That's fine :)

Both are clipped now, and so far all is good, they had their treat and new toy, so hopefully I'm forgiven.