• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't need another bird!

Forest

Strolling the yard
There is a canary winged parakeet at my local feed store. Another case of an impulse buy at a pet store by unprepared people. He/she (I'll say she from now on) is only 8-10 months old and has already been at the feed store for almost two months. The feed store employees were told by her previous owner that she was friendly and hand tame, but having almost no contact for a couple months, and being in a loud, strange environment has taken its toll. She seems so scared! The whole time I watched her (from a distance so I didn't scare her) she was on high alert and ran to the opposite side of the cage whenever someone looked at her.

I don't need another bird! But... thinking of her all alone and scared hurts my heart. :sad4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor bird. I have a soft spot for canary wingeds. I think they're great little birds that sadly often get over looked for some reason.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe you could join a facebook group for birds in your area and see if there´s anyone nearby who could take her in?
I had a similar situation with a dog recently, fortunately my neighbour upstairs was able to take her in and she will stay there until the summer. Do you have any neighbours or friends or family who would be a good fit for his bird?

Forest

Strolling the yard
Maybe you could join a facebook group for birds in your area and see if there´s anyone nearby who could take her in?
I had a similar situation with a dog recently, fortunately my neighbour upstairs was able to take her in and she will stay there until the summer. Do you have any neighbours or friends or family who would be a good fit for his bird?
I only know two "bird people" in person (one has two budgies and doesn't have the resources for any more; the other has one lovebird and steadfastly refuses to get any more birds). The FB group is a great idea, I'll check that out. That's great about the dog! It's so hard when you come across critters that need help!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're not as flashy as some birds, maybe that's why they get overlooked. I think she's beautiful though. From what I've read, they have wonderful personalities.
I fostered one for awhile and truly adored him.

Forest

Strolling the yard
So this happened...
PXL_20210202_202824483~2.jpg
Meet Spruce:swoon:

She (or he, I need to get them DNA tested) is home with me. Apparently I was wrong and I did need another bird. :p She's been with me a day and she's settling in nicely. She doesn't seem scared now, just cautiously curious, though she is still leery if I approach her so I'm giving her space. She has nibbled on her toys and is eating and drinking. She's in quarantine, so she hasn't seen my other birds yet, but she can hear them and they her. She seems especially excited to hear the budgies. They've been chirping to each other. Maybe they'll be friends when they get the all clear to meet. :D

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yay! congratulations! She's going to be so happy to live away from that store! :laugh:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! Spruce is a great name. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aww she will thrive with your love and care.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations, she’s gorgeous! :heart:

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
She is beautiful :loveshower:I’m sure you two will be very happy! Looking forward to hearing updates when she is out of quarantine and introduced to the others

(My YSGCC had the same sunflower toy...she liked it so much, and I thought it so cute, that I bought another for when BellaBelle destroyed the first one. That second sunflowers toy is still on the “bird shelf” in my pantry with a few other toys waiting their turn in the rotation. I keep passing it over because I’m not ready for it to be gone forever:p

Forest

Strolling the yard
Congratulations, she’s gorgeous! :heart:
She is beautiful :loveshower:I’m sure you two will be very happy! Looking forward to hearing updates when she is out of quarantine and introduced to the others
Thank you! Someday I hope I can get a pic of her with her wings open, they're stunning. I really hope she makes friends with the flock.

Forest

Strolling the yard
(My YSGCC had the same sunflower toy...she liked it so much, and I thought it so cute, that I bought another for when BellaBelle destroyed the first one. That second sunflowers toy is still on the “bird shelf” in my pantry with a few other toys waiting their turn in the rotation. I keep passing it over because I’m not ready for it to be gone forever:p
I did the same thing with that toy! I bought a couple of them and have been procrastinating putting the last one in with the sharks. :rofl:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Spruce is beautiful. I am so glad you decided to get him/her. You may not have "needed " another bird but Spruce NEEDED a good person.