• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am trying to find ways to get my dog to stop barking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
My parents renters came over last night to pay PART of the rent. And my dog went off like they were trying to steal from us on the outside of the door. I made the mistake of hitting him in the head (please don't yell at me I already feel awful) because dad was yelling at me to make my dog quit barking.Then when I went to pet him he actually FLINCHED. I have never had a dog flinch from me. Not even a abused dog. They usually trust me.I told my dad that we can't do that anymore and he just laughed at me. He said that he's always flinched when anyone raised the hand. Not to me. YEs I realize thathe was abused before I got him. That's why I gotta stop the thing now. Gotta stop the train of it.It wasn't till I started crying that he actually took me seriously. Yes I know I should feel bad and I do feel horrible I'm a horrible mom at times. I don't know how to train a dog.So what I am gonna do from now on have a rolled up newspaper and a cookie. I will use the newspaper on my leg when he's barking. Just the sound of it, should cause him to stop. Then when he stops, I will give him a goodie.

Ok I feel bad that I had smacked him. I am working on learning different ways. My dad was a dog handler in the army and I guess back then they used different types of punishment, and that included physical. Because he is who I learned to hit from. Not that it 's his fault that I did, it was my own doing.But the good news is that he hasn't barked seriously, well he barked once when my friend knocked on the door to surprise me.........but that's ok..........it's his job. My problem with his barking, is that he keeps doing it after we know that they are there. And it's not a Hey how are you!?!? bark it's a I'm gonna Eat you bark. He's friendlier if they come in then when they bark so most of the people that come on Mondays, just walk in to avoid the barking.Last night I came armed with a handful of cookies that I got him for Christmas lol......I don't give out cookies as often as my parents do. I purposely set him up for failure or success, I brought him upstairs when I knew people would come in. And he didn't bark so I gave him a goodie.Then my friend had to be the oddball and knock on the garage door, and he barked and I said Hey No barking. HE stopped!! So I opened the door and gave him a cookie. The dog not my friend lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Realizing there needs to be a change is the hardest step but it is the first step to a successful outcome. :hug8: We have some members here who will be able to really help you so stay positive.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
I don't know much about dog training, but the first thing that you should do is promise yourself that you will never, never, never hit an animal again.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I agree with Danita and Marie that realizing that there needs to be a change is the first step. We all make mistakes and do things in life that we feel bad about and wish we could take back. Don't beat yourself up over it. Take it as a lesson learned and an area for improvement. :hug8:to you.

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Erin, we all make mistakes - the key is to learn from it and move forward

Vickie (braveheartdogs) has mentioned this book - Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor - more than once. I got a copy and read it - it makes a lot of sense and I think would help you a lot.

I asked her about clicker training for my pups and she recommended Click for Joy by Melissa Alexander for folks like me with no clicker experience

it is a great book, easy to read and understand

your local library may have a copy of these or similar books to get you started

:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I won't be much help as I have two barking dogs. lol Fortunately they quiet down fairly quickly when they know all is well. And actually it makes me feel safer in my home as no one usually breaks into a home with loud barking dogs!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
that is the same with mine Leslie - they bark but settle after they see there is no threat - if they won't be quiet and all is ok, I have occasionally put them out back or in the bedroom

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I don't know about your pup, but both mine take their alarm duty very seriously. So after they do bark, I walk over to the door and check what they're worried about, have them sit/down/do something else and then they get treated and/or attention from me and the person who has just come in, or not if they're not a dog person. It feels sort of like saying, "Yes, thank you for telling me, I heard you. (so now you can stop, lol)" Now they're in a routine of 1) run to door and bark 2) look at me, sit, and then 3) wait for me to tell them what to do next.

My copy of Don't shoot the dog should be here on Monday. I can't wait to read it myself.

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
I would be pleased if any of that happened lol.........his routine is to 1. Run to the door, bark. 2. Bark at the person when they come in, and growl. 3. then be nice (maybe). He hasn't bitten anyone. If I throw him in a room and then let him out when he's barking, it's 100% worse But he never quits barking if he's ina room either. If I put him out back, he disturbs the whole neighborhood.Here's his story, I don't know if it has any thing to do with it. I got mom a puppy (VERY CUTE ) Australian Shepherd the same breed. Then me being a sucker for the older dogs asked if I coudl see the other dogs, those I saw as "rejects". So she let out a few at a time, she had 9 that were none breeders. I played with them all. Then She let beabea out. So I was petting her, she's a shy 4 yr old Aussie. I initially was gonna talk to her bout that dog, shy and need of a home.Then she let this red thing out of his kennel (They all stayed in kennels) He came barreling up too me did a figure 8 around my mom and the kid that she watches, and sat in my lap.Evidently she told mom his story as I was burying my face in his fur, just like he wanted me too. He had been given back to her, the breeder, after nine years of living with a family because he no longer fit their lifestyle. I'm wondering if it was because he is a little aggressive too. But I will not give him back he's my baby other then my birds. I do know that he was abused that's why I feel so bad for smacking him (and yes I have already promised him and myself that I will never smack another animal). I went to step over him yesterday to put his gentle leader on, and he didn't respond well to that at all. I don't think he realized it was me. I think he thought I was gonna kick him :( I have NEVER andNEVER will kick a dog.He is home for life.This was crazy these people let this dog sleep on their BED sit on their COUCH for 9 yrs and all of a sudden he no longer fits their lifestyle? That's horrible.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Is it just people he barks/growls at or is it people and other (scary) things? What happens when it is someone he knows that comes in the door as opposed to a stranger? How is he with strangers outside of your house?

Can you get him to focus on you at all when he's busy barking or growling? Even for a second to look at you? I would work on what you DO want him to do, rather than just focus on 'not barking.' Aussies are smart smart dogs, and teaching him he has a job he needs to do when people knock might help out a lot. For mine, teaching them just to sit or to go lay down and stay on their rug was enough, but you might need something a little more mentally involved for your guy. I can't remember if you clicker train or not, but teaching him to look at you on command might be a good first step. Teach him how to do it at home, on walks, and then when he's got it down, ask for it in increasingly distracting circumstances, working up to looking at you even when there's a knock at the door. If you can get them to look on command, then you can have them doing other things too, like working other commands they know that are also incompatible with focusing on and worrying about the person at the door.

If fear of people is a big reason for his barking, there are lots of desensitizing/cc exercises you can do, including having strangers toss him treats on walks or other times when he's not quite as upset by them so he can begin to make a good association. Unfortunately there's no 'instant fix.' It all requires you teaching him a new response and practicing it enough in non-stressful circumstances that he's able to do it when the real-life situation comes up and someone knocks. It sounds like he's found a good steady home with you. :)

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
The easiest and quickest way is to have someone help you create a situation where your dog barks.

Put a leash and flat (buckle) collar on the dog and let him drag it around.

Fill your pockets with treats.

Have friend knock on door.

Dog barks, you go to door, pick up leash, say "good dog" and give treat.

If he begins to bark again, say "no bark", if he stops give a treat. If he doesn't tug on collar to distract him and as soon as he stops, say "good dog" and treat.

You need to repeat this many times over many days, but generally they get it pretty quickly.

It also helps a good deal if you take your dog to obedience classes, so he can learn things like sit, stay, down, etc.

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
I have a miini schnauzer that is awful with the barking. Ge s my pom barking and he's too short to even know what he is barking at! :lol:

I have tried everything with no luck...so if you succeed, let me know. I walked around with so much cheese and chicken bits in my pocket, I smelled like a deli sandwich!

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
Well h'es got the down and the sit down pact. Whoever had him before me worked with him really well. All I have to do is snap my fingers for sit, and then snap my fingers and point down to the ground and he lays down. I don't know bout stay.It's anyone he even knows if they knock. It's the knocking that gets him. He stops if it's a friend that is not a threat. But if the renters especially come over to pay rent, he goes off and off and off. He's doing better with the neighbor finally. The neighbor used to go to his shed (well he still does) and Syd would bark and growl. I know it's probably a fluke but he's getting better (???) about not barking. And yes I am trying ot use the clicker because I have found out just by playing with it that he is clicker trained.I've got to find one of the books on it though to kjnow exactly how to do it. I have been catching barking, and sayin oh that's bad no barking. Then when he quits I click and he gets a goodie. I usually have doggie candy in my pocket. He LOVES doggy candy.
He's also dog aggressive. He's doing better at it, if we get the chance to introduce them slowly. He's usually on leash if other dogs come so that I can keep him with me.He's AWESOME with kids. I have No fear whatsoever if a kid comes and pets him, now Adults, he's leary of. That' backwards for most dogs ain't it?He's growled at one kid, but this kid had it comeing, he was in his face growling at him. Ok before you start thinking this kid is a brat or something, he plays this with the puppy, and the puppy just licks him. So he automatically thought ok Syd s hould be fine with it. But he wasn'tBut Syd is actually really good with him............the kid went and took the puppy's bone from him...............and Sydney just looked really sad.

Last edited:

ozzy~mom

Strolling the yard
I have 2 barking dogs too. I dont agree with all Ceasar Millans practices but I did see a episode where he helped me. He basically said in a balanced dog pack the leader is always in front. So if your dogs are barking like crazy and they are in front of you and you are behind them screaming yelling, stop barking stop barking, they dont really hear anything but you telling them they are higher up and what they are doing is correct. ]

so what you need to do is practice, have someone come to the door ring the bell. STOP them about 5 ft from the door, let them bark if they want, tell them to sit, go to the door, if they follow just put them back, tell them to SIT, again go to the door, repeat until they stay, if they jump up when you turn the knob, close the door and put them back.

seems silly but what you are telling them is , there is NO way they are boss, YOU the boss want them to sit there when someone comes to the door to see YOU the boss. it will take time, they are probably used to running to the door. Also use this technique when walking dogs, dont let them walk ahead of you, seems crazy but to a dog in front means in charge, like some say if the bird is on your head it thinks its the king.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Your dog's barking is a fear based behavior. He is barking because he is uncomfortable. This is a conditioned emotional response not just something he is "doing" it is something he is feeling. I am very glad you have committed to not punishing him anymore, that will not help him to feel more comfortable with the trigger which is people coming over. If he barks and then gets punished you have given him an extra thing to worry about, YOU! He is already uncomfortable about the guest, now he has to worry about you as well, which will make the anxiety go way up. Barking is almost a symptom of something else, in this case, your dog is uncomfortable and reacting. So, no more hitting. You did it once and have realized it is not a good choice so just don't do it again. This behavior has nothing to do with anything like dominance, the dog is uncomfortable plain and simple. He is not interested in becoming the boss and taking over your home, he is just trying to stay safe and stay alive, that's what fearful animals do.

The first thing I would do is desensitize your dog to the doorbell and door knocking. The anxiety starts at the FIRST signal of a guest. So, have 3 sessions a day where you ring the bell and then open the door with him with you and show him no one is there.

When people come over they should absolutely not be permitted to look at him, talk to him or pressure him socially in any way. He gets to choose.

If there is a way you can put up a baby gate where he can see the guests but not have access to them, I would do that. When guests come over you should have some extremely high value treats ready to go. Have him behind the barrier so he is always a safe distance (for him and them) away from guests. Let guests in and ignore ALL barking. Wait for even moments of quiet and then toss him a treat. YOU toss the food, not the guests. We want to change his emotional response from guests = bad, scary, thing to guests = hunks of chicken for me! If he cannot eat the very high value he is over threshold and extremely afraid and it means he needs to be even further from the guests. If he will take it you can even offer him something like a stuffed KONG so that he gets to chew and eat while gets are there, but behind his gate.

Eventually, once he starts to feel more comfortable you can let him out of the gate (if he never bites or attempts to) and then have people ignore him. After a while have guests continue to ignore him but toss food.

Also, I would not allow your dog to have access to front windows in your house all the time. What can happen is that dogs alert bark at things like the mailman and ups man and they get reinforced when the person goes away. The dogs sees: man comes, I bark, man goes away, I will do that again next time and they rehearse barking over and over.

I have a 5 year old reactive/fearful cattle dog. He can be explosive with people and other dogs. When people come over he is behind a baby gate with access to my bedroom. After lots of training and practice much like this, when guests come over he is behind the gate and I watch him. If he goes into my room, he isn't interested in visiting. If he just sits there or lies down, he is content to observe from there. If he whines and puts his ears back, he is asking to say hello. they key here is that it is HIS choice. He has a right to keep himself and his body safe and comfortable and free to choose what will work for him. We absolutely respect and support that. He gets better and better every day because he is allowed to choose and choice is EXTREMELY powerful to fearful individuals.

I recommend you get the book The Cautious Canine by Patricia McConnell, it is a small book and an easy read. She is a PhD and applied animal behaviorist and highly regarded in among science based dog trainers. Also, check out the website Working with a fearful, scared or shy dog

Hope this helps some.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I Unfortunately there's no 'instant fix.' . :)
Absolutely! This is key. Regardless of the fact that some tv dog trainers will present things like there are, there are no quick fixes. Behavior modification takes time, but if you are consistent and play your cards right you can set the dog up for success and get him through it.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thank you Vickie for great advice

I see there are things I need to change here too!!

and it looks like I will be getting another book too! :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
thank you Vickie for great advice

I see there are things I need to change here too!!

and it looks like I will be getting another book too! :)
It's a great book! Everything by Patricia McConnell is worth reading!

I want to point out too. A lot of people say "tell him to be quiet" or "correct him until he is quiet" or whatever, but it's really important for people to know that if a dog is uncomfortable, fearful, reacting or whatever, that he can't be quiet. If a dog is really reacting and barking he is not cognitive. He isn't thinking, because he can't think, he is reacting. It might help if we think of it this way, if a big, scary, guy was running at you with a knife in his hand and screaming at you, would you sit still and remain calm because I told you to? No, because your body would be telling you to react and run and get out of there and stay safe. If I held a tun to your head you might not run from the guy, but would you feel more comfortable about him? No, you would just shut down emotionally and physically. This is called Learned Helplessness. In order for learning to happen our basic needs have to be met and safety is a MAJOR basic need. So, we can't train animals that are emotional, we have to keep them subthreshold (where they are far enough away to see the trigger but not react to it).

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Vicki thanks for the great posts. I was hoping you would participate in this thread. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.