• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am shaking like a leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Bearing in mind that our five yr old Scooby African Grey is the biggest escape artiste going, has all her doors food bowls with padlocks on them for good reason.
After coming off the Avenue this morning, having my daily fix! I walked through the dining room where I had placed all the cages this wet morning, for them to be indoors and cosy around me working.
I passed Scooby's cage and a voice said "hullo" from somewhere up in the Gods. Looking up she was sitting on the outside of her cage/roof quite happily waiting for me!
Her cage to all intents and purposes was locked and I had no idea how this escape artist got out.
No problem getting her to step up and nursing her close for safety as there were small windows open! Had to kick the sitting room door with my foot (hands fully occupied) for John to hear me above the noise of the sweeper (his job, now retired, why should I do all the work) He comes out and finds eventually the little darling had unscrewed the hinge side of her cage door which was flapping in the wind by now!
She is back indoors all secure, for five minutes. I am sitting down with a cold drink still shaking at the thought of what could have happened and now letting you all know. The angels were smiling on me today.:hug8:Scooby the culprit for nearly giving me a heart attack is the one perched on my head.:rofl:

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh my goodness Ann!:omg: I am so glad he is ok! Hugs:hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:omg:Ann! My heart is beating fast reading your post!
For goodness sake, they can be "hear stoppers", can't they?
So now, can you put the "screw head" on the inside of the door and the nut on the out side?????
So glad all is safe!
Maybe a glass of sherry or even a beer?????:hug8:

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
Anne,
I understand how scared you must have
been. Glad everything is okay!

Judy

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
To early in our day for a snifter Billiefaye! I would not be able to do anything afterwards. Sat and had a glass of squash instead, not as interesting but more practical.
We are going to check each cage over tonight with the big clean up at nosh time.
It makes you realise how precious they really are and brings home what might have happened. Scooby is wondering why she is having a lot of attention since, hope it does not give her bright ideas of repeating the process!
They have all helped us eat our lunch and now all settling down for a half hour nap with Mum.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I second that Danita, my fright was the open windows and the thought of her getting out there into the wet weather plus cold with us today.
She is a Mam's girl but she only had to be spooked by something to fly off right? Must start thinking positive or I will not be able to sleep tonight.
Hope the news is better with you today, thinking of you both.:hug8:

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
wow glad you caught her in time!

time to get some more locks.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH my gosh, how frightening...glad all is ok though! I felt the same way coming home and seeing Bonnie and Clyde on top of their cage...If they want out, they will find a way!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Ann :hug8: I am so glad everything turned out okay!! They do know how to give us a BIG scare dont they?

Andrea

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Andrea
What a stinker!!!! I am glad Pip is happy in his cage! Now the Lovebird is the one that is the escape artist. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm so glad to hear that everything is all right...I definitely would have had a heart attack! I can't even imagine what it must be like to live with birds who can get out like that. Mine are all way too lazy!:) The only time I have a problem is if I accidentally leave a feeder door open. I think I'm going to go knock on wood:).

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad that all is well - it's a wonder Leroy didn't tell on Scooby :D

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Leroy would probably pointed out the open window to her!:rofl:
There is no love lost between those two, it is always one upmanship with them.
Was puzzled when we first had Scooby has to the padlocks everywhere on her cage and a huge bunch of keys rattling on the outside just out of her reach.
thought it was her old owner being a bit extra safe, so took them all off as it was like getting into fort Knox!
If I did she was never in her cage and nothing was parrot proof to her, it was her mission in life to get out of the hardest situation with ease.
Only a matter of hours and all the padlocks were back in place, and the bunch of keys dangling on the outside again! :rofl: But what does she do? Takes the door off its hinges! What am I going to do with her?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8: Ann I am glad you found out the little stinker had escaped. They sure can take years off of our life scaring us like that!

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
You are a great story teller Anne because my heart stopped for a bit. Until I glanced down and saw all was well.

Great picture for a final capper to the story :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow how scary! I am glad that even though she got out of her cage she was unable to fly away. At least she was a good girl and stayed on the top of her cage.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, Ann. What a fright! I'm so relieved she was a good girl and stayed put on her cage top. :hug8:
btw, that is one fantastic pic!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Now she is wondering why everyone is making such a big fuss of her. We keep thinking of the "what iffs"and it is scary.
She does not mind being kissed to death, it is one of her favourite past times!

Status
Not open for further replies.