• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am RE-Vamping My site..need ideas..

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

I am adding some pages onto my site...and I need some ideas.
If you were looking to add a bird into your home and visited a rescue website..what would you want to see?

Pictures?
Diet?
How the fids are cared for here?
How long we keep birds in our homes?

What would you want to see?

SO...heres your chance to attack me with questions....I want to see what people would ASK me. So I can add maybe a Q&A section....

I need some ideas

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would want to know general care of parrots. Safety issues, such as toxics in food and surroundings. Noise level. Cage requirements. A good example of daily feeding and diet. The birds background, dislikes and likes. Definitely a photo of the bird in question. Hope this helps.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I would want to know general care of parrots. Safety issues, such as toxics in food and surroundings. Noise level. Cage requirements. A good example of daily feeding and diet. The birds background, dislikes and likes. Definitely a photo of the bird in question. Hope this helps.
I have all that ..LOL. I want to add more. I am more for education than actually taking IN birds and adopting them out. I help with in home behavioral issues. Teach people how to LIVE WITH their bird. I train humans.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think your site looks great :) I really love the part about the cages: "Use the brain, people!" If you can get them to understand that one simple thing, you'll have really accomplished something! :hug8:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I think your site looks great :) I really love the part about the cages: "Use the brain, people!" If you can get them to understand that one simple thing, you'll have really accomplished something! :hug8:[/QUOTE

Ya...I um.....Ya...have a hard time saying I am actually a human myself. Especially with the idiots I deal with regularly!

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
I think your site looks great :) I really love the part about the cages: "Use the brain, people!" If you can get them to understand that one simple thing, you'll have really accomplished something! :hug8:[/QUOTE

Ya...I um.....Ya...have a hard time saying I am actually a human myself. Especially with the idiots I deal with regularly!
oh none of here are pure human:D
i would like to see on any site there daily segwoll(sp) for the birds, there cage to know if appropriately sized etc

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
There is one site I visit all the time.
The birds that need homes, have write ups in their words :rolleyes: like what kind of home they want, their age, name etc....
Then once they go to their new homes, the birds write a letter from their NEW home talking about their experiences and what its like living there.
:)
its my favorite thing to read. It always puts a smile on my face.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
I would ask about a daily feeding sheduale.

I would also want to know what is safe branches for my bird cause of the perches.

I woulds also ask what kind of time I need to be able to spend with the bird MIN

I would also ask if there was a better food in your opion then another.

also ask how many bowls one bird should have

I would also like to find a basic needs list.
In this I mean like if i only wanted to do the bare min at forst for my bird what would I need to have. Not talking normal bird owner min like people who really care about there bird min.
That way i have a starting point to go buy stuff then as I do research I can add more to it.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The birds that need homes, have write ups in their words :rolleyes: like what kind of home they want, their age, name etc....
Then once they go to their new homes, the birds write a letter from their NEW home talking about their experiences and what its like living there.
Oh, those can be cute :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I like that too.

The bottom line message should be that "Owning a parrot is not just having a bird, it's a life style".

It's not about how they live with us but how we live with "them".

There are no bad birds. Only bad owners.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I like that too.

The bottom line message should be that "Owning a parrot is not just having a bird, it's a life style".

It's not about how they live with us but how we live with "them".

There are no bad birds. Only bad owners.

I agree. I try and make things as SIMPLE as possible for the idiots. OK..not ALL people are idiots that want to adopt birds..only 1-20 are actually OK! UGH

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I went to a liberal arts school, so I may be a bit harsh, sorry. I'd be more than happy to look at specific bits if you'd like me to. This is all from a quick read.

Choosing a Bird reads as very confusing. I'm not really sure what you're trying to communicate here. So, I should get a budgie, then a sennie, then a conure and THEN a Macaw? There are better ways to get bird experience and prepare for owning X species, than serially owning other species that may not actually be what the desired species is. What about the budgie that gets 'replaced' by a GCC? That's a disservice and devalues the smaller birds. Maybe just rank them in terms of difficulty and suggest other ways people can get good experience like volunteering with rescues, loitering here on AA, and helping current bird owners care for their bird or pet sit? I believe that a novice bird owner, with the proper dedication, education, and interest and support is perfectly capable of owning an amazon if that is the bird that fits best in their life (though I certainly wouldn't expect them to take on a bird that needs rehabilitation). On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are many people who have owned many other birds that I wouldn't let near Jasper. Previous bird ownership does not equal quality home.

Parrot Noise Levels I don't see the promised website or a graph on this page. Only a chart. I would suggest adding something along the lines of 'frequency'. Budgies chatter ALL DAY LONG which drives some people up a wall, while another bird may be louder, and more shrill, but only yell for 10 minutes two or three times a day and be much more tolerable in some homes.

Choosing to Adopt mentions a lot of issues that adopters of adults need to be ready for. It would be helpful to point out the issues baby birds have too- feeding regression and puberty issues especially.

Have you had problems with breeders misrepresenting themselves because they know you won't adopt to them from your website?

Behavioral Issues and Understanding Hitting, ect are actually Positive Punishment. Positive means adding somthing (hit, smack, treat, cookie) Reinforcement is anything that makes the behavior happen MORE, punishment is something that makes it happen less. Vicki has a sticky explaining it more clearly, here: http://forums.avianavenue.com/training-court/4946-learning-theory-basics.html

I like your diets page, having a list of no-nos, or a link to one might be helpful

I much prefer the pages where there's the navigation bar on the left and then a single content block on the right rather than having the bar on the left and then another two columns in the content sections... it's too confusing. In a couple of places you continue text in the columns after a picture, and that's not very clear- the reader has to search for where the other half of the sentence and/or paragraph is.

I personally find sites and posts 'from the animal's point of view' very irritating. That's just my personal preference though, and I know many people do like it. JMO. I'd rather learn about the animal's actual behavior, not what the people writing the post think the animal is thinking that leads to the behaviors.

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went to a liberal arts school, so I may be a bit harsh, sorry.
:huh: I think there are several here with pretty fair educations, Sharpie :) But, we do have different perspectives, especially on what might appeal or be helpful to Crystal's audience of prospective adopters... IMO, most people's eyes will glaze over if you try to go into the finer points of Behavioral Psychology. But, explaining more about contact calls and screaming might be a good idea. I like the stories from the animal's perspective, not only for the cuteness factor, but because I think it helps to counter the all-too-common view that animals are objects to be acquired rather than beings with their own selfhood. Is it anthropomorphism? Yes, and I'm fine with that for the general public.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I think there are several here with pretty fair educations, Sharpie :)
Wasn't trying to suggest that people didn't. :) I just wanted point out that even though I like her website, I've been taught to always find things that could be improved. I didn't want her to think that 'omg, she hates it/me!' or anything like that just because I was pointing out the things that I noticed. It's great that people have different opinions, it's one of the reasons I enjoy AA so much and keep coming back for more.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Thank you for the opinions Sharpie, I do appreciate it.
My main issue is people who want to adopt from a rescue think they will aquire a cheap or free, sweet baby bird. Which is not the case. The behaviors aspect I tried to make as siple as possible for people to understand..I get a lot of idiots...lol

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
The rescue I belong to and some others I am familiar with have basic links. Go to these pages: About Us, How to and Rules for Adoptions, Available Birds, Resource Links (vendors with supplies, cages, food, toys, and local Avian Vets, some bird boards like LOV, other rescues - Gabriel Foundation, etc) The Available Birds page has a link to each bird and each page the bird has pictures and links for: About me (breed, age, sex if known, appropriate cage requirements/care/feeding, the bird's history and the bird's habits/quirks/issues) The last part is actually the most important because it's the last part (history and habits/quirks/issues) are the things that will make or break a good relationship in the new home. Without that most valuable information, the new owner is working "in the dark" and without knowledge of past mistakes, the new owner may be doomed to repeat them. Even little things like "he only likes to step up from his right side on YOUR left hand" can go a long way in establishing a trust bond early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.