• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am devastated

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rio flew away today. I don't know how it happened, I am far away from home. In afternoon suddenly came a phone call from hubby. Today, hubby came back from hospital and went to meet Rio. He then bent down and put his hand to remove his food tray. Suddenly Rio bit his hand and escaped. It's really shocking because Rio always steps up and comes out of cage. He always then climbs the shoulder, never tries to fly towards the window. I don't know what lured him or spooked him, Unfortunately the window net was open and Rio just flew away.
Hubby searched entire afternoon, shouting his name but he was nowhere to be seen.
We always kept him fully flighted. I gave him recall training also. Also, he's a velcro bird. Still this happened.
I am devastated. Tears are rolling down continuously. I just can't stop them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh my gosh I am so sorry!! It's especially hard when you're away from home :( I hope he comes to someone and you can get him back somehow!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh no I am so sorry can hubby maybe play a video of his species calling or a video of you as if he comes back
I would have poster up or a post up on Facebook maybe ?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I really hope and send positive thoughts he comes back or someone finds him and you find him

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Rio flew away today. I don't know how it happened, I am far away from home. In afternoon suddenly came a phone call from hubby. Today, hubby came back from hospital and went to meet Rio. He then bent down and put his hand to remove his food tray. Suddenly Rio bit his hand and escaped. It's really shocking because Rio always steps up and comes out of cage. He always then climbs the shoulder, never tries to fly towards the window. I don't know what lured him or spooked him, Unfortunately the window net was open and Rio just flew away.
Hubby searched entire afternoon, shouting his name but he was nowhere to be seen.
We always kept him fully flighted. I gave him recall training also. Also, he's a velcro bird. Still this happened.
I am devastated. Tears are rolling down continuously. I just can't stop them.
Ive heard that you should put their cage outside. Door open of course. I didnt know that when i had one fly away years ago, before the internet.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I'm so terribly sorry that this happened. I hope he's able to be found safely.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm so sorry.

Prayers up that someone records your voice, plays it back outside and he returns home

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
That is devastating. I’m so sorry for all of you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh gosh how sad and scary, I am sorry. Best wishes for a safe return of Rio.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m very sorry! Maybe Clueless’ idea would work.
:sadhug2:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Don't give up. Sometimes the first day or two they hunkering down and don't move out of fear. Get out and walk the area in wideing circles calling name play Budgies sounds. They are better survivors than you think.

I was able to call in an escapeed Budgie that wasn't mine, and been out a week , by playing Budgies sounds loud from YouTube on my phone . It would take about an hour before he would fly in , took a few days.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear this :(

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't give up. Sometimes the first day or two they hunkering down and don't move out of fear. Get out and walk the area in wideing circles calling name play Budgies sounds. They are better survivors than you think.

I was able to call in an escapeed Budgie that wasn't mine, and been out a week , by playing Budgies sounds loud from YouTube on my phone . It would take about an hour before he would fly in , took a few days.
We've kept the cage outside. Inca the Amazon is constantly flock calling, which ideally should reach upto 1 km.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks friends for your support. My heart is bleeding for him.

rivallne

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Diana
My budgie Cookie also flew away yesterday too so I know how devasted you must feel.. I'm filled with regret but I haven't given up hope and you shouldn't either!! There's a good chance he might be near your neighborhood so just keep calling out for him and play budgie noises! Good luck we are in this together, God takes care of his little creatures :heart:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh my god, I’m so sorry! It’s such a panic when it happens. How are you doing? How is your husband?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my god, I’m so sorry! It’s such a panic when it happens. How are you doing? How is your husband?
I'm trying to divert my mind in work. He's also making himself busy with patients.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh no. I hope you find him. If you haven't, contact neighbors, police, local vets and rescues.