• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I almost forgot I had a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
does anyone use Corn Cob bedding for their cages or playstands?
I bought some today to use for Peppers playstand and he did grab a bite of it and kinda chewed on but didn't eat it , is this safe to use? I wasn't sure wether to buy it or not but I thought I would give it a try if it's not safe or a pain to clean I will use news papers comments please

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
it is not recommended to use because it harbors bacteria
I've gotten birds that had it covering thier trays in the cage (grate on top) and my lord that stuff is dusty and made a huge mess all over my floor every time they flapped their wings it came out all over the floor I was so not impressed and needles to say it got trashed - one set of birds came with a big bag that wasn't opened it was thrown in the trash as soon as I got out of the truck

to line my cages i use nothing but newspaper
The Quakers tree stand has a white board on it (not sure what it is as I didn't make it) but it wipes up easily

Kaycee's is all wood so I layered the bottom with newspaper then took a extra Plastic floor runner i had and cut it to fit and it over laps the side of her tree base so the poop doesn't get on it either and they wipe off easily as well

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I would not use it. It's dangerous. Birds can choke on it and it can harbor bacteria.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Corn cob little and similar is definitely NOT recommended for the reasons mentioned above. Don't waste your money.:D

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
ok I will get rid of that stuff tomorrow , can I use a few peices of floor tiles for the bottom of the playstand? I want something easy to wipe clean

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
that would work too.

on all our floors under the cages we have shower board - its the stuff that goes around tubs to protect the walls

most bigger hardware stores sell it - this is also very easy to clean, I vacuum it then mop it and i'm done

and you wouldn't need a whole piece I think my b/f spent $15 dollars on each sheet we have - maybe they have scraps at a home depot or similar store where they've had to pre cut it for a customer - could always call and ask - even though I don't think "shower board" is the correct term LOL but When ever i explain its the stuff that goes on the walls around bathtubs and showers they seem to know what i'm talking about lol

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
I think I will go with the plastic runner , I have them under all my cages and it's easy to cut and fix , I can get that at walmart

myakando

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmen
Not only is corn cobb bedding bad as you've read but in the event any pet ingests any, there is a risk of this stuff causing an impaction in their digestive system. Why is this product on the market is beyond me but it's just bad news :eek:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I use paper on the trays of my Java trees - works like a charm and no fear of ingestion/contamination :)

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
hubby came up with an idea to buy a white shower liner and he can unscrew the bottom of the stand and fit it to the stand it would be easy to clean
I dumped the whole 20lb bag of corn cob bedding tonight and ran up to walmarts and got a white shower curtain I hope his idea works, tomorrow I will use news paper until he fixes it, now does this sound like a good idea?

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
I just found some plain typing paper I can use that until he fixes it :)

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My neighbors cockatiel she had years ago ate it and died. :( I just use newspaper because its cleaner to clean up (corn cob you will find is extreamly messy to clean and bag up, and if the birds fly or walk in it it gets EVERYWHERE! lol)
Where as with paper you can just roll it up! much easier. someplaces you will find may give you old newspapers for free just to get rid of them, so its worth asking around to see where you can get free paper. I get mine from work, my grandma and friend both save it up for me too! :)

***Make sure he cannot chew the shower curtain because if he injests the plastic pieces it can result in death***

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
I didn't get the shower curtain because I just know he will chew on it I used white typing paper for today but I think newspaper sounds like a better idea , I have a friend from work and my neighbor save me news papers so I always have plenty

Status
Not open for further replies.