• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I allllmost quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mare

Hit the Road
This forum has so many knowledgeable people that we all appreciate. I do listen and learn. After discovering how a lot of you "truly" felt about me allowing Amigo to be what he is, and after licking my wounded feelings, for awhile, I've decided that we are an asset to this forum. Those that do not think so, PLEASE, don't bother reading what I have to say. (Isn't there a way to block my posts so you don't have to see them?).

We are NOT abusive to Amigo. He is not left to fend for himself, alone in the wild. He is indoors, for now, due to weather and hawks being thick in the territory. I'm not arrogant nor ignorant when it comes to my birds. Those that think they might know better, in actuality, may not.

I'm strong in my beliefs and although what I do with Amigo is not what any one of you may even attempt, does not make it wrong. If I thought someone else could give him a better life, I would hand him over, no reservations.

Anyways, I'm back, not to instigate or incite, just to add my perspective on a free flying bird that flys free.

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
I did not comment on your previous boards that became such a source of controversy, but I read them. I have to say that I'm glad you didn't leave. There's no one way to do anything in this world, and befriending ("owning") a bird is no exception. Both indoor birds and outdoor birds face their own share of dangers and risks, as well as benefits, and in light of that I don't believe it's anyone's place to say that either one is right or wrong. Opinions and advice, of course, are always great things, but voicing one's opinions as fact isn't. (This isn't a comment on anyone's post in particular, as I can't remember the specific things that any one person said :rolleyes:).

I love that you love Amigo enough to give him the best life you can. He is a lucky bird.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm glad that you didn't leave too. :greet7: The pictures you were kind enough to share with us were beautiful and what I got from your posts was that, while you were asking for input/advice, you also care very much for your bird(s). If I remember you also have another too don't you?:heart: :heart: Not that Amigo was cchickenfeed, but Sassy was definitely an eye-catcher.

I also have much smaller fids than you do so I often found I was in no position to post about birds I have no experience with and situations which I am not living through.

Now, just being pushy here, but were are the phooootooooos? :camera:;)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I am also glad you have not left this forum, we need everybody with valuable input to help us all understand and learn for ourselves.
Sorry but my old brain cannot remember any of your earlier posts but would hate to think that any of my comments may have offended you at all. Please put me right and let me know if any of this was down to me? Would never wish to offend or hurt anyones feelings as i think we all have a right to speak as we find but to be kind to others about how we do it. :hug8:

ThatDarnBird

You care about Amigo and do your best for him and that is enough for me, whether I agree with you or not. :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Ha ha your not alone all birds are not the same either are humans what you can do with yours and i can do with mine isnt the same , i have my beleaf you have yours and mary brown has hers were not all 3 wrong or all 10 right . It all depends on the bird.

So glad you stayed as we need every one to build a strong form one thats not all one sided

we didnt get to what we know today with out some one doing something diffrent what works for me might not work for youbut if i cant tell about it then how do you know its no good , life isnot all cut and dry

either is raising a bird . Id be tared and feathered if i was to say what works for me and the funny part is
i have a great bond with my guy a bond i truly never expected never realy thought about it , but know what i wont except and know what my bird will except cause it all boils down to respect, were both living under the same roof so guide lines have to be in place , to do that you need to know and understand your birdhim you .

Welcome back and tell us how amego ha ha spelt wrong is axcepting being in house and how are you couping

hugsssssss doll

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I have too, as most of you know. Also, I am new to the parrot world, as most of you know.
Must share this...saturday afternoon I was sitting on my terrace, Elvis on my arm wearing
his little black halter....well`~~I saw him deeply gazing up at the blue sky and the green
tree tops in what must have been a timeless moment for us both...I could of sworn he
was wishing he was up there flying & doing what he was born to do....In that moment, I
sooooo wished he could fly where he wanted to & come home when he wanted to..
ahhhhh~~~~so my friend...I for one, am jealous the you are able to have that kind of
a relationship not only with a wild animal, but a cockatoo at that.!! Glad you didnt leave us...
:fly2:;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm so glad you're staying with us. Knowing that Amigo is a free flier that can fly free is inspirational to me. I wish all of my birds had a chance to be like him.

Animal_lover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
I always enjoyed reading your posts! Glad you didn't leave. I echo the thoughts of Cassiesdad and Lupe. I think Amigo is a lucky bird.:hug8:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I am glad you gave us another chance. I admit, I didn't see your posts (too busy staying on the Secret Santa Hints thread), but I do want to go and check out your pictures.

Having free flying outside birds may not be for everyone, but you have the right to raise your birds the way you feel comfortable raising them and I admire your courage. I'm sorry you felt attacked and alone. As you can see, we are all very passionate about our feathered friends who share their lives with us, and while I appreciate the passion, I do feel, that at times, some neighbor's can be too judgemental and outspoken. We can all agree that we love our birds, and we want the best possible life for them. I wish my guys could experience the feeling of being free to fly from tree to tree, enjoying the great outdoors, soaring high above us all. I do not have the experience or the courage to give them that gift.

Wishing you and yours the best, and I'm thankful you are not throwing in the towel on us. We all learn so much from each other, and one thing I have learned is that what works for one person may not work for everyone. We all have our own road to travel. Good luck. Now I'm heading out to see pics of your beautiful bird....:hug8:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
i'm glad you didn't leave as well. all that matters is that you care about amigo, and are giving him the best life you can. we can all learn so much from each other.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have no idea of what went on BUT so glad you are staying....The BEST way we can care for our birds is to have ALL sides heard from and ideas exchanged....and NOT having just one side being the "right" way....that is so narrow minded....no matter what we do...there is always a YING/YAN...that is what is important to understand...if we talk about things including the YING/YAN we can make up our own minds....and what we are comfortable with in helping our birds....What I started out doing 45 years ago is so different today but IF I thought my way was the ONLY way to do things...I would never come as far as I have today....and my birds are so much better for it....and I am too! I think what holds a lot of us back is being concerned/scared of what others think about what WE do...if having your bird free flighted works for the both of you and you understand the natural risk, I think you are helping your bird "adapt" to the way he should be...learning to survive, being a better flyer which promotes a healthier body and yet still has the "pet" part....you have brought him in for the winter/predators...You aren't leaving him in the winter to fend for himself and not protected....:hug8:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Words to ponder by....well said Billie Faye:goodjob:

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
I´m so glad you stayed! I really enjoy your stories and pictures of Amigo. You make your bird happy and that is awesome. Like someone before said, life outdoors and indoors have their own peculiar dangers. It´s great to hear about Amigo, always. How is he doing?? :hug8:

Mare

Hit the Road
Thanks everyone, I've been gone most of the day, Christmas shopping, ugh! I appreciate your support, I really do. Amigo is doing well, my husband was home all day and there were no issues with him, (Amigo). He has a rather large indoor cage, about 6 plus feet tall and five sided with a walk in door. Not enough room to fly but sure big enough for him. He is sitting with me, at the moment, we just finished a preening session :). Amigo and Sassy Goffin's girl, are becoming a lot more tolerant of each other in the same room, Amigo will be in a cage but he doesn't freak out at her, like he used to, yay! that's progress!

I know things have happened around here that people find hard to fathom. We do what we can to make things work while still, trying to hold on to what we believe in. Amigo' welfare is very important to us and we don't take it lightly. So,,, I thank you again for being understanding and kind.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I may disagree with your "training" tactics and certain things you do. But I know many disagree with myself too and things I do. I personally am glad you stayed. This place is an educational forum. A great one to be apart of. We all learn daily here. And sometimes that learning can be a prickle in our pride as we learn what we did/do is not correct or the best of methods to use. So we learn daily and learn that certain topics brings out the fire in the people of this forum. So we learn to not make a fire.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I didn't read any of your previous posts either, but I think anyone who loves their fids would give just about anything to be able to let them experience free flight and still come home and be safe with their human family. What a special relationship you must have.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.