• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hurt little ring neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just wondering about that ring neck, did you discuss steriods for him? Hows he getting along? Bless you.

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
He got a steroid shot at the 1st vet and now he is just on antibotics and pain meds. He is doing better still draging his legs around but is very alert and eating his fruits and pellets just like he normally would. If he can get his legs working then I thing he will do ok. Still to early to tell but the legs do move.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad he is doing better George...:hug8:

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I hope he is going to continue to get better!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Did your vet x-ray to rule out a break or transection? Have you asked the vet about doing range of motion on his legs to preserve muscle and joint movement and aide circulation? Without some passive rom, he will quickly loose muscle flexability and movement. The x-ray will give you some idea as to whether he can recover at all. It is a good sign his bowels work; but the motor neurons come off the spine a little lower and in a different aspect of the spine than the visceral nerves.

Lunasmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Darlene
Our female IRN had a spineal injury when she was injured four years ago. At first she could not move her legs or feet. Our vet said it could heal if the spine wasn't severed, but could not say how far it would heal. I gave her time to heal and started doing range of motion therapy. I also set her down in cool to luke warm water while I supported her. We began to see some movement happening and it slowely got better. She started to try to open her feet and kick with her legs. The vet said healing could take a long time. Luna still can not walk, but she has learned how to get around and has turned into a sweet and trusting baby. We have set everything up for her around the house and raised her platform in her cage to perch level. She has adjusted and is still getting a little stronger movement. I hope your little guy will end up walking again and it is good you are giving him a chance. He can still be a special little guy.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just a few more of these..:hug8::hug8::hug8:Thanks for caring!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Time is the best healer, Ive seen the steriod shots work "miracles" on prey birds with head and neck/ spine injuries.. Im glad your helping him and I pray his legs improve daily.:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Thank you for helping this little one... And please keep us posted on his progress.. :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hows the little guy doing?

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
just stopping in to see how the lil one and you are doing George:hug8:

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
He is doing OK, He has learned to crawl around using his wings. He is very strong and the wings move good. His feet are still a problem. they move but not very well. I think he has spinal injuries. He is moving his legs enough not to poop on himself anymore so that is good.
Tanya thanks for asking, I'm doing OK also. it has been one emergency after another here. May is my busiest month of working and I'm getting a little burned out of 7 day a week work and dealing with 25 large cages of birds. I know it will get better!

Birdgirl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Patrice
Wondering how the little ringneck bird is doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.