• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hurricane Preparations

Status
Not open for further replies.

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
With the Tropical Storm Don inching closer to us we are getting things together just in case. We normally don’t leave during hurricanes because we are not close enough to the coast. We do get LOTS of wind, rain, downed trees and tornadoes. So we like to be prepared since we usually lose power. The biggest threat with this tropical storm is the rain and power loss. When we loss power for more than a day my husband and I (and animals) have to pack up and move to the inlaws a few miles down the road since they have a generator and gas stove and gas water heater. Both are on our must have list for our next house.
They have cats, which hasn’t been a problem in the past because Abby and the cats just keep their space and avoid each other. But one of their cats was around when they had their bird and he would knock Buddy’s cage down if the door was left open to my husband’s room where Buddy was. So I need to find a way to take Sabrina but in a travel cage that is big enough that 1. She is comfortable and 2. The cat can’t knock it down or that I can at least put in a place that he can’t get too. We have a cat carrier but I think if she’s going to stay in it for a while it needs to be something bigger and more open. The cat carrier only has the few little slits on the sides.
During Ike we went back to our condo every day to check on things and to drop off food to the elderly people in our complex. But I would like suggestions of things to pack for Sabrina if we had to leave and couldn’t come back home for a while, just in case. Obviously food and water!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I've heard the King's aluminum travel cages are heavier than others, so maybe that would help keep the cat from knocking it down. I'm sure you'll get other ideas here.
One recommendation if you lose power occasionally - get one of those nightlights that plugs into the wall socket and comes on automatically with an emergency light when the power goes off.
My birds always seem to take off flying when that happens and there you all are in the dark and they are crashing around and you can't see to find them and are afraid of stepping on them.
We were just happy to have ours again last week when it happened!

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Thanks for the idea, we need to get one of those. Sabrina isn't free flighted so that isn't a worry. But it would probably help her to not be scared and help us also! We went tonight and got lanterns, batteries, water and food. I think it's moved away further away from us, but we will have it all for next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.