• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hurricane Maya's flying - progress report!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Maya is almost 4.5 months old and definitely discovering her wings! She can land on top of her cage and the playstand perfectly, but doesn't really know how to land anywhere else yet. When I leave her for like 10 seconds on a table to get something really quick, she will fly out high speed and then have no idea where to land so she picks a small houseplant or a window trim. Or she crashes into my face and arm. Or crashes into a wall because she can't slow down fast enough, but no windows yet. So we're working on those landings! Her aviator harness arrived today! So much easier to put it on her than my grey! So we went out to the front yard for a minute and she just looked around outside. Do you guys recommend the aviator flight line? Thankfully she has a large area with high ceilings to fly around in, I feel like I should stick perches on walls somehow. The wind that her wings generate is just amazing. Newspaper goes flying all over the place as well as anything else lightweight. So yes, Hurricane Maya is definitely an appropriate nickname!

Update while I'm waiting for pictures to upload! She flew to my arm and landed successfully!! She's improving fast!! I'm so proud! :cheer:

Does this look like it fits right? It seemed small to me even though it's a large. I should compare it to Jasper's medium.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
How exciting Jeanna! Great pics. It's awesome watching them fly, it's the crash landings that scare us to death. I'm trying to teach my zon to fly and then the bcc and sennie. I bought a couple of those suction cup shower perches and I stick them to different windows to give the guys places to land if they get startled and fly off. So far it's hit and miss with the perches, no pun intended, but at least they know they are there now.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Love to see them hover. Wish you could see the wild b&G here in Florida; they are amazing flyers and hoverers.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a beauty and such wonderful progress....

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Update since this was first posted:

It is amazing how fast her flying skills have been improving! She is much more confident and even pauses for a bit in mid flight to the side (like suspended in mid air) before resuming her flight towards me, just for fun. Yes, she flies to me now! I have a giant flying velcro bird on my hands, I can't leave her anywhere without her flying after me. She also comes when called with little hesitation and lands perfectly on my arm. I'm soooo proud!

The crashing into walls has reduced, now she turns around and goes back to where she came from if she decides there's no suitable place to land. She's getting more skilled and agile by the day! I'll have to post some videos of our recall training sessions soon. :)

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
:yah: Great progress and those flight pics are stunning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.