• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hunting dog with bird

deftpwnes

Moving in
Real Name
Jude
Hi everyone, this is my first post here!

i own a brittnay and a labradoodle. my labradoodle sleeps in my room and is more calm and collected. my brittany is bred to be a hunting dog and has gone bird hunting with her previous owners countless times and once with my dad. she's very obedient but obviously has that hunting drive that is difficult to train out.

what is my best approach with this? ive done lots of research on introducing birds and dogs. my plan is to introduce my labradoodle to it so she can get used to the smell while she's sleeping in my room (if that makes sense). she won't be in my room at any other time. i think i would let my brittnay meet the bird once or twice so she can smell it out and get used to the sounds. she will never be in my room, but me and my dad worry that she will hear and smell it through my door and go crazy trying to get into my room.

what do you think? is it wise to even let her meet it or should i just try to hide it from her? is it just hopeless to try?

* every time they meet the bird will be caged and the dog will be leashed btw. i dont plan on ever letting them be in the same room when the bird is out.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi
Your other post says you are getting a lovebird I would be very careful as lovebirds are bold fearless little things they are not scared of taking or trying to take on anything bigger than them if they want something they defend it especially if you have a female

I personally wouldn’t let either meet until your lovebird is settled in it’s new environment used to it’s cage your room as your lovebird will be scared at flying around making noise which will kick in the hunting dogs instinct

my dogs have met pico a couple of times when he comes downstairs but I honestly don’t trust it as pico flew down to see them on floor and he wasn’t scared at all but I know pico will step straight up but I still don’t let them near each other I put dogs in garden or utility room when pico comes down with me

I personally don’t think it’s worth the risk

hopefully someone with more experience comes along

@Zara is the lovebird queen and I think maybe wrong she as dogs too
@Pixiebeak as dogs and birds too I can’t think of anyone else who as dogs and birds sorry

my birds have there own room so the are separate from my dogs

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
is it wise to even let her meet it or should i just try to hide it from her?
yes, keeping them apart really is the best way to keep your bird safe.

every time they meet the bird will be caged and the dog will be leashed btw
That´s a good approach. Hopefully eventually, you will be able to let the dog in the room when your bird is caged, as long as your bird isn´t frightened and that Brittany remains under strict supervision.

I think maybe wrong she as dogs too
I had a Chow chow who was special needs (hip dysplasia on both sides), I had him before my birds, and he was extremely docile, no pray drive at all. I never left him alone with the birds though. He and the birds were fine in the same room when the birds were caged, or sleeping at bedtime.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Considering your Brittany has both been bred and trained to be a bird dog it is important that she never be allowed unsupervised access to your bird. I personally think it would be better if she isn't introduced to the bird at all, but would suggest she be leashed if you decide to introduce them.
I tend bird dogs at one of my jobs. (Brittanies, German Shorthaired, English Pointers, English Setters- I feed, clean kennels & tend minor health needs. ) Their instinct to point and pin a bird is very strong.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
With my birds and dogs
Past I had 2 dogs before I got parrot's . They had learned many commands of wait,( freeze dont move) , stay, return to bed, back up, leave it . And had a good respect of my stuff was mine . This was because we were big city apartment living highrise. In the elevator we could encounter mean dogs or weird animals if all kinds and on sidewalk as well .

When I brought home my first parrot , I used dog gates to give about 5 feet from cage safety zone. As dogs have been known to knock over cages or grab birds through cages. There are endless sad terrible stories.

Then I worked with them , they weren't allowed to look at him or focus on him ( from afar , as bird cage was in main area ) they weren't allowed to respond or get worked up if parrot made a racquet. I made it real clear the bird was mine and they were to start clear.

I always put the dogs up in the bedroom before I got my bird out. Then worked to have them gated out of the room when I had my bird out. A risk as my bird was flighted. I also worked to not allow parrot to go near dogs.

When I got my current 4 little pups I already had parrot's and I got each as puppies. They learned all the same commands. And from dsy one they learned to give the parrot's about a five e foot bubble. They know they aren't allowed anywhere near the cages and are to small to reach the bottom grate even if standing on hind legs.

My parrots are all flighted. I've worked and continue to do so that if my bird lands or comes near the dogs they are to return to their dog beds or move off five feet or more. If I'm walking or sitting with birds they must stay away. 2 dogs are now 15 , still I never trust them. I don't take a shower or leave the room if birds are out. My dogs aren't perfect , but they ignore my birds and we've worked on that from dsy one to year 15.

Birds also continuous work they aren't allowed on the floor. They aren't allowed to go near dogs.

I think one of the most important things is to have a well trained dog that respects you. Knows all basic commands. Gets plenty of exercise and their own attention time. No matter how good and sweet your dog is you never trust them completely. The best is to do all of that plus never having birds out unless dogs locked up. But well worth teaching respect . As doors can get opened and dogs can get into rooms with parrot cage and attack. Or get out while parrot is out and attack them or parrot breaks out of cage when you aren't home. ( Has happened to me but thankfully all was well) I've heard every combination of this , usually results in parrot's death it serious injury.

Your dog can smell your bird from 20 feet away or more I'm sure. I'd establish boundaries right away . They aren't ever allowed near parrot or their cage. Even if you have your own bird room I would add a door gate as second safety feature.

That's my story. There is always risk , it's more risk than some are comfortable with.

Winn

Jogging around the block
@Pixiebeak , my dogs have done very well around my birds. Part of that is training.. most is supervision.
The key difference in regard to a trained bird-hunting dog is that its whole life has been reinforced with the idea "get the bird=GOOD DOG!"
On trials in training (in the woods) the dogs at my job focus on Quail and ignore other types of birds. In the run at the kennels they hone in on anything that flutters or flies.. even dragonflies and butterflies.
My boss re-homed an older Red Setter that I was very attached to. I didn't offer to take her because I knew it would be a big issue with having birds at home. She went to a man who has a 9 year old son and is currently a house pet that sleeps on the foot of the son's bed.:joyful:

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
@Pixiebeak , my dogs have done very well around my birds. Part of that is training.. most is supervision.
The key difference in regard to a trained bird-hunting dog is that its whole life has been reinforced with the idea "get the bird=GOOD DOG!"
On trials in training (in the woods) the dogs at my job focus on Quail and ignore other types of birds. In the run at the kennels they hone in on anything that flutters or flies.. even dragonflies and butterflies.
My boss re-homed an older Red Setter that I was very attached to. I didn't offer to take her because I knew it would be a big issue with having birds at home. She went to a man who has a 9 year old son and is currently a house pet that sleeps on the foot of the son's bed.:joyful:
Yes definitely an extra challenge and risk. Their are individuals I would never trust or feel comfortable with.

But I've had freinds with hunting dogs, who also lived with free range chickens st home..I never asked them how they trained them now that I think about it ...I just accepted it.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d keep your bird separated by walls & doors at all times. Those are both lovely dogs, but don’t underestimate a labradoodle’s hunting drive either.

I watch a lot of labradoodles at the park, very few of which I trust with my smaller dog. A standard poodle is a hunting dog, whatever else they’re trained to do.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have 3 dogs at home with my parrots they are trained to leave the cages alone and when the parrots are out the dogs are closed out of the living room with a door that separates the living room and dinning room ..I never let my birds out if my dogs are in the room ... It would be best if you could train the dogs to leave the cages alone and never leave them unattended with your birds ...Tyrion says "leave that bird alone" if the dogs or cats get to near the cages ..and weird enough they listen :strhng:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have three dogs - a pomeranian mix, a dachshund mix, and a chihuahua mix. My pom is an old man and couldn't give less of a crap about anything anymore if it doesn't involve sunshine or cheese. My chi and dox are both trained regarding other animals. They know sit, stay, leave it, etc.

I've worked with/pet sat/kennel work with different hunting breeds - you will not "train out" her hunting instinct, especially if her previous owners took her hunting.

The option for her will be to keep her as separate as possible from any birds. Doors, baby gates, anything you can to keep them apart

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I have three dogs - a pomeranian mix, a dachshund mix, and a chihuahua mix. My pom is an old man and couldn't give less of a crap about anything anymore if it doesn't involve sunshine or cheese. My chi and dox are both trained regarding other animals. They know sit, stay, leave it, etc.

I've worked with/pet sat/kennel work with different hunting breeds - you will not "train out" her hunting instinct, especially if her previous owners took her hunting.

The option for her will be to keep her as separate as possible from any birds. Doors, baby gates, anything you can to keep them apart
Your Pom sounds like my shar Pei was in his last few years swear that dog knew you had cheese out of fridge before I opened door and he would follow sun around garden until it was gone in summer

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Your Pom sounds like my shar Pei was in his last few years swear that dog knew you had cheese out of fridge before I opened door and he would follow sun around garden until it was gone in summer
He's gotten to a point where he knows if what I'm cooking is likely to involve cheese :roflmao: probably 80% of the time I'lladd cheese to my ramen. He gets up if he hears the ramen package open

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can't train instinct out of any animal easily. I would not have an experienced bird dog in same house as companion birds. It is a tragedy waiting to happen.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sighthounds and lovebirds are kept completely separate. Doors are closed and dogs aren’t allowed in the bird rooms.

deftpwnes

Moving in
Real Name
Jude
With my birds and dogs
Past I had 2 dogs before I got parrot's . They had learned many commands of wait,( freeze dont move) , stay, return to bed, back up, leave it . And had a good respect of my stuff was mine . This was because we were big city apartment living highrise. In the elevator we could encounter mean dogs or weird animals if all kinds and on sidewalk as well .

When I brought home my first parrot , I used dog gates to give about 5 feet from cage safety zone. As dogs have been known to knock over cages or grab birds through cages. There are endless sad terrible stories.

Then I worked with them , they weren't allowed to look at him or focus on him ( from afar , as bird cage was in main area ) they weren't allowed to respond or get worked up if parrot made a racquet. I made it real clear the bird was mine and they were to start clear.

I always put the dogs up in the bedroom before I got my bird out. Then worked to have them gated out of the room when I had my bird out. A risk as my bird was flighted. I also worked to not allow parrot to go near dogs.

When I got my current 4 little pups I already had parrot's and I got each as puppies. They learned all the same commands. And from dsy one they learned to give the parrot's about a five e foot bubble. They know they aren't allowed anywhere near the cages and are to small to reach the bottom grate even if standing on hind legs.

My parrots are all flighted. I've worked and continue to do so that if my bird lands or comes near the dogs they are to return to their dog beds or move off five feet or more. If I'm walking or sitting with birds they must stay away. 2 dogs are now 15 , still I never trust them. I don't take a shower or leave the room if birds are out. My dogs aren't perfect , but they ignore my birds and we've worked on that from dsy one to year 15.

Birds also continuous work they aren't allowed on the floor. They aren't allowed to go near dogs.

I think one of the most important things is to have a well trained dog that respects you. Knows all basic commands. Gets plenty of exercise and their own attention time. No matter how good and sweet your dog is you never trust them completely. The best is to do all of that plus never having birds out unless dogs locked up. But well worth teaching respect . As doors can get opened and dogs can get into rooms with parrot cage and attack. Or get out while parrot is out and attack them or parrot breaks out of cage when you aren't home. ( Has happened to me but thankfully all was well) I've heard every combination of this , usually results in parrot's death it serious injury.

Your dog can smell your bird from 20 feet away or more I'm sure. I'd establish boundaries right away . They aren't ever allowed near parrot or their cage. Even if you have your own bird room I would add a door gate as second safety feature.

That's my story. There is always risk , it's more risk than some are comfortable with.
this was incredibly helpful, thank you!

deftpwnes

Moving in
Real Name
Jude

i own a brittnay and a labradoodle. my labradoodle sleeps in my room and is more calm and collected. my brittany is bred to be a hunting dog and has gone bird hunting with her previous owners countless times and once with my dad. she's very obedient but obviously has that hunting drive that is difficult to train out.

what is my best approach with this? ive done lots of research on introducing birds and dogs. my plan is to introduce my labradoodle to it so she can get used to the smell while she's sleeping in my room (if that makes sense). she won't be in my room at any other time. i think i would let my brittnay meet the bird once or twice so she can smell it out and get used to the sounds. she will never be in my room, but me and my dad worry that she will hear and smell it through my door and go crazy trying to get into my room.

what do you think? is it wise to even let her meet it or should i just try to hide it from her? is it just hopeless to try?

* every time they meet the bird will be caged and the dog will be leashed btw. i dont plan on ever letting them be in the same room when the bird is out.
hi everyone! thank you so much for your responses, they were incredibly helpful. i’ve decided that neither of my dogs will meet/be around the bird at all, at least for the first few months. i’ve been training my brittany to stay away from my room altogether and she’s doing really well. my labradoodle will be sleeping in my parent’s room, a sacrifice i’m willing to make.

so, in short: neither of my dogs will be around the bird. i agree that the safest option is to keep them completely separated.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've got a dog, he wasn't bred for hunting, but he's chased birds outside and isn't super small animal friendly (no dog is). Your safest option would be to just have them away from eachother, however, it might be worth your while to start to desensitise your dogs to flapping noises, fast movement, and a solid recall/leave it cue.
Spearmint has managed to fly, land and bite my dog before when my dog opened the door (he pushed it open as it wasn't fully shut). Thankfully, Oreo was trained to not snap and bite fast movements, and didn't even flinch when he got bit by Spearmint. I do believe he would not harm Spearmint intentionally, but accidents happen, and Spearmint doesn't like him, probably because he's huge.
So all in all, don't let them meet face-to-face, but work with your dogs on a leave it and recall. ;)

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara

I have two small dogs. Neither are "bird/hunting dogs" though. When I first got Ekko my dogs were very interested in him. I've had him for about 3 weeks now and the dogs show little to no interest in Ekko in his cage or when he's on top of it- which is in the living room. But they do watch him pretty closely when I'm doing indoor flying training with him or handling him. I know I am taking a risk by having the dogs in the same room as Ekko at any given time, however I know my dogs and never leave Ekko out of his cage when I'm not in the room. I have allowed both the dogs to sniff Ekko but that is about it. Remi loves to clean up Ekko's mess around the cage of assorted seeds or fruits/vegtables. And Ekko doesn't seem to be bothered by it. The breeder I got Ekko from had two small dogs also. So he was at least used to dogs moving about. Both of my dogs are well trained in the "leave it" command - for mine it is "back off". And they have proven to be responsive to this when Ekko has landed on the floor.

I think it would just take one bite from Ekko to Gizmo and he'd say "Nope, I'm out" but Remi would likely think he was playing.

-Again, I dont have bird dogs. But I believe all dogs have a prey drive to some degree. After all they are inherently carnivores. But I believe they can co-exist with modifications, training and strict supervision.

Last edited: