• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humm... Don't know if anyone can help but please take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
HI! I'm Trice. A tiny baby Bunny was rescued by me . Name is Buggs. After a trip to my vet, Buggs is going to be fine.

Question :

I'm not sure how many people here if any one at all has a bunny.

Potty Training:

I know Buggs is a baby still. I'm trying to potty train or at least start.

Can anyone here give me any advice on doing this ?

Buggs is in my living room in a play pen. (I'm using a play pen as a cage because I think he has more room to play ) I've got a small pan in the back corner of the playpen. Everytime I see him potty, I pick him up and put him in the pan .

I've never potty training before as I don't have human children.

** Can anyone make any suggestions about how this can get him to potty in his pan while not leaving black round hard potty balls over the light carpet as he plays outside of the play pen by chance?

I would welcome any advice or suggestions please.

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
when i got milo, i just just watched which corner he tended to pee in and i put a litterbox in that area. i also put hay on top of the litter (i read that helps train them, don't know how or why, but i followed it anyway). they're pretty easy to litterbox train in my opinion.

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
now as far as poo goes, they will poo outside the box and when they are out playing. the litterbox is more for their urine which really smells. the poo is not so bad (its' just a round pellet that you can pick up w/ a paper towel).

Trice

Real Name
Trice
Thanks , this morning I have noticed more potty balls in the potty pan. Since I started now when he's a baby , I don't think it's that difficult to do.

If i can just get him to get all of the potty balls in the potty pan now.

Thanks for responding

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
So where are the photos???

Ginger

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have no ideas but wanted to say that it was nice of you to rescue him!

Matt

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Rabbits are fairly easy to train to urinate in the box - just remember that night soil - the wierd looking wetter dropping they pass at night do get eaten sometimes - it's necessary for their digestion (kind of gross but oh well it works for them)

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Aww, a bunny! I love rabbits. :D I'd have to agree with the other advice you got about potty training. Why did you post this in the photo's section??? You realize that you've now set yourself up to be bugged for bunny pictures, right? ;)

Good luck with your fuzzy new pal. :D

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I have no expierence with wild rabbits, but I raised rabbits for over 10 yrs , I never potty trained any of them, but it was in a few of my books on how to do it

and its no different than a cat, You put the the rabbit in the litter box and gently ''scratch'' their paws in the litter

and I've done that with every cat I've had and only 1 refused to use a littler box (found behind my love seat was a much better litter box)

but with rabbits you have to keep all wires out of their reach as well, they will chew them and they can be electrocuted by it if they're plugged in.

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
I think you will have success. I have also heard the hay on top will help, they will potty where they eat. I have a hay hanger which I have over my litter box. My bunny goes to the litter box for both duties. Good luck and good for you for rescuing the little bugger, and I agree, pictures? :)

rocabird

Real Name
dawn
How great of you to rescue this guy! Rabbits are so much fun. The hay in the litter box works good since rabbits go potty where they eat. They aren't 100%, but at least their poop is real easy to clean up (and it is great to add to your compost bin).

Trice

Real Name
Trice
Hi! I'm not do good at posting pictures in the threads for some reason. I set up a photo album on my page in case the pictures didn't appear.

Thank you so much everyone for all of your responses . Today, Buggs did go to the potty in the potty pan by himself for the potty balls.

I know it's early but I'm hoping this is a good sign. It's only the third day I've been trying this. I have picked him up when I noticed he was able to go to the bathroom or though he was and put him in the pan.

Thanks again everyone, This is my first pet rabbit I've ever had. I am learning as we go along . It helps so much to have a good support group like we have here.

I'll keep you updated on how Buggs does.

Bambino

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Melissa
Buggs is such a cutie! As far as the potty training bunnies usually choose a certain corner to do their business so it might take him a while to choose one. Once he does go ahead and put his litter box there. Good luck with your new bunbun.

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Trice he is darling! Thanks for posting the pictures, you will enjoy him!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Monty was 100% litter trained. In the beginning I restricted his area for a while, keeping it small and gave him a large litter box. Once he was trained he had free rain of the whole basement. He never pooped anywhere but in his box.

Designate a spot for his box and don't move it around. He will get used to that spot. If the rabbit is not spayed/neutered. It should be just before 1 year of age. It is better for their health and if it's a male it will start to "spray" at that age.

Last edited:

Trice

Real Name
Trice
Thanks everyone, All of the suggestions have been helpful.

Update: so far so good. Yesterday Buggs was out for a number of hours and he would go back to his potty pan to potty. There were only 2 potty balls on the floor while he was out no tea tea.

John,

I do feel as if he can be 100% trained as well. He's only about a month of less old. My vet asked me to wait until aug or end of july to have him fixed. I intend to do this ! It reduces the risk of cancer in males later. thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.