• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humid plants and air filters?

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I've heard that Macaws can develop respiratory disease if they don't get enough humidity, so I wanted to see what I can do before I get my Hahn's.
Humidifiers aren't available here, plus the bird will have to be in my study room, where my computer is, and I don't think that would be very smart..
My mother said that if we put up plants around it's cage we might be able to get enough humidity(without exploding computers).
So, I wanted to ask if this is true, and if it is, which would be good parrot-safe plants to put?

Also, I need an explanation on HEPA air filters. This might sound incredibly stupid, but I have pretty much no idea how they work, except that they trap particles. :lol:
I will probably need one in the room because I'm allergic to feather dust.
I always imagined them as some sort of little machine you would put in a room or imbed into a wall and then it would cycle air. But my mom said something about it actually being just a bunch of layers made out of material designed to trap airborne particles(she works in a laboratory so I guess she knows the stuff), and then put in some sort of frame to keep them together I guess.

Still, how does that work in rooms with birds in them? :confused:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I am not familiar with where you live. Maybe you don't need a humidifier. What is the humidity in your house in the heating and nonheating season; do you even need to heat your house? if the humidity is even up to 33% you would be fine.
some alternatives would be to boil a pan of water in a non-teflon/ptfe pot, to place the pan of water on a radiator, to blow a fan across a pan of water. anything to increase the evaporation. (note on fan use - be sure bird cannot get near it)
Plants could help but be very sure to choose ones that are not poisonous, there are lists online of plants toxic to parrots.

I have a Hahns, they are not dusty birds. Do you have additional birds that produce a lot of dust? I have a hepa filter because my other birds are dusty (Goffin Cockatoo)
Your Mom's description of a HEPA filter is pretty much true, then a fan pulls the air in the room thru the filter and the dust gets trapped in the small spaces and doesn't make it out the other side.

just a note while I'm here - don't get an ionizing filter, they are bad for people and birds

Last edited:

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Whoa, that little? It can get pretty dry here in the summer but I don't think it ever goes under 30% in the house.
Also, I have a warm water turtle in the room, so even if it gets dry in the house I guess that room would be fine.

No, I don't currently have any birds in the house. But even a little feather dust can cause allergies, so I gotta have a filter.
The filter must be built into the wall, is that correct? And do they have to be built separately(part by part in every household) or are they just ordered whole?

Anyway, thanks so much! :hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
myself, never heard of ones built into the wall
usually the filters are a stand-alone, portable box that either sits on the floor or can hang on the wall like a picture.
I have a rabbitair, many others have austin brand.
be sure the unit does not generate ozone or talk about ion generation.

here, many turtles can carry salmonella, so keep a quarantine between turtle and bird and definitely wash your hands.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All I can say is some plants are poison, so do your research if you want them.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Maaan I was mislead

And don't worry about the turtle, she and the bird will not come into contact, and it will be way on the other side of the room, so it can't be splashed. And of course :D

Thank you soo much!

And you too, @Birdbabe :hug8:

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
The aquarium/terrarium/vivarium with the turtle in it should provide more than enough humidity if it is in the same room.