• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Huge mistake

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Ok, I’m really upset. I messed up. Please be kind, I’m already in a frenzied state.

I was running late, having a bad morning, and surviving on a continuous run of 3 hours of sleep a night. Usually I can just push past it but today, I was really distracted and my anxiety was high. The night before, at 2-4AM I made about 100 origami triangles (you see? I was buzzing, I needed an outlet). I also decided to clean their spare cage at 3AM (send helpppp). Last thing I did, I pulled out a little toy that had a bell attached to it. It originally was a part of an activity mat. The whole toy itself is great, the bell is cheap. We all know to remove the bells, right? But this piece of the toy, I never used it before. As I was leaving, I attached it to the cage without thinking. Oh Lordy, I’m having anxiety just writing about this…

I came home at 1045pm. Birds are in my room, lights dimmed, cover on. I hear a tiny noise. And a slight jingle. Almost ignorable. I just get this feeling. I just don’t feel right. I uncover the cage, to say hi which I normally don’t, i usually let them sleep. And I see Eva, almost on her tiptoes on the cuttlebone. I normally don’t even have this in there but Eva needed to hone her beak so I figured, ehhh I’ll put it in by the water dish. Her beak was starting to get a little long, making it more of a hook. GUYS, her precious little beak was stuck in the bell. My heart just dropped. I opened the cage and stuck my hand in and she was light, tired. I want to say early on, she’s totally fine. But this was scary as hell! I picked her up and gave her some relief. I couldn’t get her beak out so I wanted to pull her out of the cage with the toy. When I went to undo the hook, it pulled it 1/2 inch higher and she wasn’t able to stand on the cuttlebone and her head bent back slightly and she was almost hanging. Obviously my hand was right there supporting her but it dawned on me how devastating this could have been. I was able to focus and pry her beak out, she was fine. She was preening herself and Wally, ate, drank water, and continued to play with other toys. No damage on her beak.

My nerves are so shot and I’m crying thinking that something horrible could have happened to my baby girl and also the trauma that she went through while she was stuck. I think it must have just been recent. And I thank God that I had that feeling that made me look. I totally hate myself right now. I didn’t even want to write this but I know I’ve learned from other people’s mistakes and also I need to get it out. I feel terrible but I know that Eva trusts me and this solidified it even more. I’m so sorry to have put her in a dangerous situation but so glad I was able to save her. I’m sure I’m going to have nightmares tonight.

PLEASE REMOVE YOUR BELLS or get the ones that are bird safe.

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
Ok, I’m really upset. I messed up. Please be kind, I’m already in a frenzied state.

I was running late, having a bad morning, and surviving on a continuous run of 3 hours of sleep a night. Usually I can just push past it but today, I was really distracted and my anxiety was high. The night before, at 2-4AM I made about 100 origami triangles (you see? I was buzzing, I needed an outlet). I also decided to clean their spare cage at 3AM (send helpppp). Last thing I did, I pulled out a little toy that had a bell attached to it. It originally was a part of an activity mat. The whole toy itself is great, the bell is cheap. We all know to remove the bells, right? But this piece of the toy, I never used it before. As I was leaving, I attached it to the cage without thinking. Oh Lordy, I’m having anxiety just writing about this…

I came home at 1045pm. Birds are in my room, lights dimmed, cover on. I hear a tiny noise. And a slight jingle. Almost ignorable. I just get this feeling. I just don’t feel right. I uncover the cage, to say hi which I normally don’t, i usually let them sleep. And I see Eva, almost on her tiptoes on the cuttlebone. I normally don’t even have this in there but Eva needed to hone her beak so I figured, ehhh I’ll put it in by the water dish. Her beak was starting to get a little long, making it more of a hook. GUYS, her precious little beak was stuck in the bell. My heart just dropped. I opened the cage and stuck my hand in and she was light, tired. I want to say early on, she’s totally fine. But this was scary as hell! I picked her up and gave her some relief. I couldn’t get her beak out so I wanted to pull her out of the cage with the toy. When I went to undo the hook, it pulled it 1/2 inch higher and she wasn’t able to stand on the cuttlebone and her head bent back slightly and she was almost hanging. Obviously my hand was right there supporting her but it dawned on me how devastating this could have been. I was able to focus and pry her beak out, she was fine. She was preening herself and Wally, ate, drank water, and continued to play with other toys. No damage on her beak.

My nerves are so shot and I’m crying thinking that something horrible could have happened to my baby girl and also the trauma that she went through while she was stuck. I think it must have just been recent. And I thank God that I had that feeling that made me look. I totally hate myself right now. I didn’t even want to write this but I know I’ve learned from other people’s mistakes and also I need to get it out. I feel terrible but I know that Eva trusts me and this solidified it even more. I’m so sorry to have put her in a dangerous situation but so glad I was able to save her. I’m sure I’m going to have nightmares tonight.

PLEASE REMOVE YOUR BELLS or get the ones that are bird safe.
Oh im so sorry. I would feel horrible :(
I hope your little baby is ok :(

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Oh im so sorry. I would feel horrible :(
I hope your little baby is ok :(
I was shaking while I was trying to get her out. It was such a thoughtless move. I was just rotating toys and didn’t even think about the bell. I usually try to put a perch or somewhere to land so they can hop instead of trying to fly so I’m glad I had the cuttlebone there. She seemed totally fine. She was hanging upside down on the little boing and acting like her normal self. I don’t work in the morning so I will make sure I pay close attention to any changes. My poor sweet baby Eva.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So sorry this happened, mistakes are easily made. I am very happy to hear she is okay! What kind of bell was it? Toy safety is such a difficult thing. What’s perfectly safe for one bird, is a hazard to the other.

It Sounds like things are though for you guys at the moment, is your senior cat the major cause of your sleep deprivation? I hope she settles down so you can all get some rest. Must be difficult juggling all that:)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hope your ok and Eva ok try not to beat urself up accidents happen but I know it’s scary so glad you looked and saved her :bighug:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh boy how terrifying! I’m so glad all ended well and you were on the ball. It’s so hard to make the choice to disturb them at night, you try to tell yourself you’re being silly but I’m so happy your gut instincts were right and you listened.
:bighug:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is so scary. Thank goodness you checked on her. I know what you mean about that feeling. Like the chirp that just isn't right/normal. You aren't alone in finding a bird caught in a toy. Once I heard a weird chirp and it was my cockatoo who got her whole leg tangled in a toy. It was terrifying! That was circa 2007 or so.. fast forward... And today I am still paranoid of any and all toys that could be dangerous. I find sticking to plants, branches, blocks etc to be less worrisome. The metal and plastic toys can quickly turn dangerous because they can't easily chew themselves free. The only plastic toys I use now are some of the larger rings or little ball type toys. I never offer metal toys with the exception of the chains that suspend the wood pieces (if that makes sense). If your bird enjoys bells there are parrot safe bells, they are cylindrical in shape and a bit longer than typical bells.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You were home and you saved your little birdie. That is all that matters.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad everything is ok

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know how frightening that was. I’m so sorry you experienced that with your little girl. It’s fantastic news that she is OK! You aren’t alone in making mistakes with toys! You didn’t do this to your bird purposefully!

I was not so lucky with Jujube. I’ve never told this full story here. About 1.5 years after I brought Juju and Jelly home, I woke up one morning and uncovered them to find Juju hanging from the tassel of a rope toy by one of his toes! I have no idea how long he had been there. I released him and he flew straight to the side of the cage clinging to it with his beak and other foot and panting he was soooo tired. Ultimately, he had lost circulation in his digit, and the tip of his toe had to be removed. I brought him home wearing a tiny funnel around his neck. He is fine and gets around as well as he ever did, but yes…..I understand that feeling of horror and guilt! And yes, I threw that toy away immediately.

I hope your little girlie continues to do well! I also hope that you can get some rest and relief from the stress you are under currently!!:sadhug:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Knowing your baby was in danger was your instinct kicking in. I'm so glad she is okay.
Unfortunately accidents do happen and I'm sure you're beating yourself up over it.
It's a lesson learned, and your story may help others who have those little bells to re-think using them.
Sending big hugs to you...
:sadhug2:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So glad she is ok but dont blame yourself accidents happen and its no ones fault ... :hug8:

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
:hug2: You did what you could and it's easy to second guess yourself. Accidents happen to even the most careful of owners. We just do the best we can and our birds know we have their best interest at heart.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
What kind of bell was it?
It was from an activity mat that I had disconnected some items and placed in different parts of the cage. I will post a pic later
Sounds like things are though for you guys at the moment, is your senior cat the major cause of your sleep deprivation?
Yes, I work evenings and sometimes get home at midnight. She sleeps all day and she starts the in and out at 130AM. It follows up with 230,3,345, and finally at 430 she won’t come in anymore. By this time, I’ve been dealing with her. So my husband who sleeps earlier than me, gets up and will go downstairs to give me some reprieve. It’s pretty rough. We used to think 630 was early, now we pray for 630. Interrupted sleep feels like torture.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh jeez! I’m so sorry, that must have been terrifying. I hope she’s ok, and I hope you’re ok too!

On the no sleep thing - I have insomnia (like my doc actually diagnosed it, I don’t sleep for crap). If you want some tips and tricks, feel free to message me.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Once I heard a weird chirp and it was my cockatoo who got her whole leg tangled in a toy. It was terrifying!
Oh gosh! It’s like everything goes blank and I just want to scream but then I remember that she’s relying on me to stay calm and fix it.
I was not so lucky with Jujube. I’ve never told this full story here. About 1.5 years after I brought Juju and Jelly home, I woke up one morning and uncovered them to find Juju hanging from the tassel of a rope toy by one of his toes! I have no idea how long he had been there. I released him and he flew straight to the side of the cage clinging to it with his beak and other foot and panting he was soooo tired. Ultimately, he had lost circulation in his digit, and the tip of his toe had to be removed. I brought him home wearing a tiny funnel around his neck. He is fine and gets around as well as he ever did, but yes…..I understand that feeling of horror and guilt!
Oh it just breaks my heart, I’m so glad that little juju’s quality of life hasn’t been affected and he is the spunky little bird he always has been. We can only learn from this right?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thank you everyone for your support. I took Eva out today with tears in my eyes and she looked at me like huh? what’s the problem? :hilarious: She flew wildly. She ate. She played with her paper toys. She bit my toe. She forgave me. I showed her the toy from afar and she wasn’t bothered by it. I’m hoping that means she just got caught for just a short time. Thank you to everyone who reached out and shared advice, stories and well wishes. Miss Eva is doing perfectly fine. I’m going to give her another stone to grind her beak down so that the hook is less pronounced and also less likely to get hooked. These birds have such big personalities and are so resilient that sometimes you forget how tiny and helpless they can be:o:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I once bought a toy from a Uk vendor added it to KiKi's cage she loved it then one day i walked into the living room and she was going crazy, she had nylon string wrapped around one of her feet she was trying to fly screaming cos she couldnt.
I had to grab her unwrap her foot as best as i could i then had to grab her again and remove all other bits from her foot.

Was gutted that it happened and i do believe this put the relationship with me and Kicker backwards.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I’m going to give her another stone to grind her beak down so that the hook is less pronounced and also less likely to get hooked.
Don't hesitate to share a picture of this toy. We can help raise the alarm if it is one known to be risky. I will also add that your bird should be able to condition their beak from wood safely. Thin strips of wood may be best for a lovebird. Some 'stone' toys are actually not that necessary, or can lead to crop impactions if your bird consumes too much. Not all toys are equal. Some pet store toys are fabricated with unsafe materials.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I once bought a toy from a Uk vendor added it to KiKi's cage she loved it then one day i walked into the living room and she was going crazy, she had nylon string wrapped around one of her feet she was trying to fly screaming cos she couldnt.
I had to grab her unwrap her foot as best as i could i then had to grab her again and remove all other bits from her foot.

Was gutted that it happened and i do believe this put the relationship with me and Kicker backwards.
Ugh sucks. It’s horrible to think, but at least it was Eva, she is a calm girl. She is a thinker before she acts. She can be more patient. But she is quiet. She didn’t even let us know. If it was Wally, he might have screamed to get attention and help but he would have freaked out and twisted himself even more. He could have been more hurt and lost his footing.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I will also add that your bird should be able to condition their beak from wood safely.
Wally’s beak is short and sharp. Cus he is a busy body who is always working his beak on toys and climbing the cage. Eva’s beak, while it’s not a concern, does need to be trimmed down. She’s more of a sola, mohagany, cork type of girl haha. She’s never bit down with much force, even when experimenting. She doesn’t shred the thin pine, even though she able to. Giving her a lot of options is what I’m doing. They do randomly use the cuttlebone which I usually don’t put in there. They don’t bite their perches but maybe that’s my next step. Getting them perches that they can shred the bark. Any recommendations that don’t break the bank? I’m the only one working because of my husbands injury