• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Howdy from Delaware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

katymae16

Moving in
Real Name
Trina
Wow, thanks for all the warm welcomes! And thank you for the good wishes for Sammee's dad - he's doing a lot better. It definitely helps him, knowing where his little green buddy is and that he can come visit him any time he wants.

I can't believe all the Delaware connections! Usually anytime I post in online forums, people ask me where Delaware IS :lol:

I was born in Milford and grew up in Dover, and until I went to college we spent EVERY weekend at the Indian River Inlet! We also camped out there for a few weeks every summer.

Judy - how long have your parents lived near Bethany? When I was little, during those weeks camping at the Inlet we'd always take at least one trip to Bethany to go to the old-fashioned ice cream parlor they had there. I still remember the white wire chairs and "fancy" (for back then, at least!) ice cream flavors. We also made regular trips to Nicola pizza :D I still like to bring home a case of frozen Nic-O-Bolis whenever I have a chance to get down there these days.

Terri - who do you use for a pet sitter? We're in Middletown and use Paws & People Too, and have always been very pleased. It's a service, though, and the gal who had been taking care of our babies is no longer there. Hopefully the new girl will be good - we're going on vacation for a couple weeks soon so we'll find out (Sam will be with his dad) - but it never hurts to have a backup or two!

Again, thanks for all the welcomes! I think I'm gonna like it here - you had me at "sidewalk sale" :dance5:

~ Trina

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Beautiful Amazon! Welcome to AA!!!

katymae16

Moving in
Real Name
Trina
The only current "story" I can think of for Sam is that shortly before we got him, my husband and I started eating a more healthy diet. For lunch, my husband will eat an entire steamfresh bag of veggies (I'm not quite there yet lol). Since it's a lot of veggies, and Sam likes to feel included, Chris will usually give him a spoonful or two of whatever he's eating (he eats veggies plain - no salt, butter, *nothing*! I'm not so good) and Sam does a good job. He really likes fruits and veggies. The other day Chris made brussels sprouts, and Sam went NUTS. He ate two whole sprouts in an hour! Of course, he didn't eat anything for a long time after and half of the veg were smeared all over his beak (his WHOLE beak was green!), but I was floored!

Considering that Sam was born and raised in the 80's and 90's when there wasn't a whole lot of GOOD info to be had easily, and consequently his dad fed him a seed-heavy mix until a few years ago when he converted him to Harrison's, Sam is surprisingly into foods that are good for him. I don't feel bad that we've decided to skip "bird treats", because he thinks fruits and veggies ARE treats :D

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Wow, I'm only 10 minutes from Middletown! I live right off of 896 :) It is weird to see other people that are from DE. Most people do ask where it is!

You Sam is beautiful! I have an Orange Winged Amazon and also am fostering a Yellow Naped.

Welcome and enjoy! Everyone here is very nice and very knowledgeable :D

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I can't believe all the Delaware connections! Usually anytime I post in online forums, people ask me where Delaware IS :lol:

Terri - who do you use for a pet sitter? We're in Middletown and use Paws & People Too, and have always been very pleased. It's a service, though, and the gal who had been taking care of our babies is no longer there. Hopefully the new girl will be good - we're going on vacation for a couple weeks soon so we'll find out (Sam will be with his dad) - but it never hurts to have a backup or two!
~ Trina
We use For The Love Of Pets. It's a two person operation. I am not sure Kris goes as far afield as your location.
Anyway, she is great. Who is your vet? Our vet is Windcrest. We've been pretty happy with them, overall.
I'm also probably 10-15 minutes from Middletown. Let me know if you'd ever like to get together for tea. I love Sam already. :heart:

Where do you buy your bird stuff? There are a number of great vendors on this site. Kathie from My Birdsafe Store is in Jersey, and she ships super fast.

When people from home (Canada) ask where Delaware is, I tell then it's underneath New Jersey. They seem to understand that much. :lol:

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Welcome to the Avenue! Sam is so beautiful!! I can't wait to hear more about him!:hug8::D

katymae16

Moving in
Real Name
Trina
Terri - we use Windcrest too. Well, we did for the ferrets and do for the cats; we've only had Sam permanently for a couple weeks now, so we haven't needed a vet. Windcrest is awesome for furry creatures and I like knowing the people who work there if/when there's an emergency. Do they have an avian vet on staff?

My parents take their birds to Dr. Woodie at All Pets in Smyrna (and board them with her when they're away), and that's who Sammee has seen in the past. I went with my dad and his TAG to see her once, and I really liked her manner - very straightforward and matter-of-fact.

I get some of my bird stuff from Amazon (my Prime membership pays for itself at Christmas, and it's SO convenient), I've gotten a few things from Doctors Foster and Smith, and (right now) my favorite spot for toys is chopperstoys.com. I'll definitely be checking out Marketplace vendors in the near future! Sam *loves* new toys, especially foot toys and things he can destroy. Luckily for him, my cats are happy with boxes, mousies, and the occasional catnip, so I can give him an ok toy budget
:rolleyes:

I think we should try to do a little Delaware meetup somewhere! Either out, or I could try to get this place into some semblance of order for people to come over (I love tea!). It would have to be in September, though, after we get back from the West coast.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hi Trina and Sam!! Welcome! Sam is gorgeous!!!!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Trina, Dr. Anthony takes care of our boys at Windcrest. He doesn't not see just birds, though. He's a really nice guy. PM me when you have time to meet next month when you get a better idea. In the meantime, please post more pictures of Sam! What's he like?

Status
Not open for further replies.