• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How well does your parrot understand the STEP up command?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At the moment it is obvious that Thomas Red Bellied does NOT like hands, is not comfortable with hands. He will bite with all his might (very viciously) and flails about in stressful panic. He also manages to lose alot of flight feathers and hurts himself during all this. It's pretty distressing to witness.:(

I am pretty certain that the excitement of having a parrot disappeared in his last home so gradually but surely they stopped handling him, hence this is why he is the way today.

At the moment he feels safest in his cage. I will make more time today to target train him. I will use everything I know from Barbara Heidenreich trainings. If it worked for my other parrots, can't see why it won't work for Thomas.

My goal with him is to help him feel that being on my hand is an awesome place to be. I don't want it to be a COMMAND, instead introduce my hand as a great CHOICE to take.

I am certain that he would like to feel better about being around me, just doesn't know how to go about it and needs some encouragement.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
AL of my birds understand what step up is. But that doesnt mean they will always feel inclined to do so.

I think Thomas understands what your asking from him which is why he bites. He is new and afraid. Im sure he also isnt comfortable with hands either, for whatever reasons as well.

Ive met many pois, mainly sennies though. And the males once when they hit sexual maturity, they really do become a new whole bird. Not saying at all that this is the majority of pois, but all the young sennies I knew, once they hit sexual maturity, they bit very "randomly" and would then act terrified of you and the hand they bit. It was very confusing behavior and a reason I never brought home Jellybean, a male sennie. He was my buddy for about 3 months, then one day he decided I was something to bite and fear. Not sure what happened. I could roll him onto his back, kiss his toes, and play with him like a puppy. He was 7 when I met him, so establishing hormones, and he had 5 homes already and awaiting a new one at the bird store. Three months go by, we're pals, then one day...:( I regret never taking the phrat home, but then again I knew Bokka (rip) wouldnt have liked seeing a bird go from being friendly to a terror. He (Bokkababy) was only ever aggressive to other birds when they were aggressive to him or me.) I do wonder about Jellybelly, and how he's doing...

I do think taking it slow with him, and target/clicker training him will really help Thomas out.

Lexii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexis
Ivy 100% understands it, but if she does not want to, she will not. Instead she will lunge at you to try and make you back off.

When Sage came home she had no idea what the "step up" command even was. She did not like hands would attempt to fly up to a shoulder every time. Since coming home I have taught her to step up and she does it very well almost every time and does not run up my shoulder. It took her about 2 weeks before she understood, but she is a baby and wasn't very set in her ways.

I fully believe with a little work and a little time, Thomas will step up like a pro! :D

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think Olive knows the phrase "step up" so much as she knows she's supposed to step up when a hand is in front of her. She actually prefers to step backward, which could be something to try at some point for Thomas since he doesn't like hands.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa knows it very well, and almost always complies. She is so dainty and sweet when she does it :heart:

Jingo knows what it means to the point if I say step up, he flies away, even if my hand is nowhere near him. So we are working on a different trigger for him so we can start fresh. He steps up for Josh consistently though with the step up command.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
AL of my birds understand what step up is. But that doesnt mean they will always feel inclined to do so.

I think Thomas understands what your asking from him which is why he bites. He is new and afraid. Im sure he also isnt comfortable with hands either, for whatever reasons as well.

Ive met many pois, mainly sennies though. And the males once when they hit sexual maturity, they really do become a new whole bird. Not saying at all that this is the majority of pois, but all the young sennies I knew, once they hit sexual maturity, they bit very "randomly" and would then act terrified of you and the hand they bit. It was very confusing behavior and a reason I never brought home Jellybean, a male sennie. He was my buddy for about 3 months, then one day he decided I was something to bite and fear. Not sure what happened. I could roll him onto his back, kiss his toes, and play with him like a puppy. He was 7 when I met him, so establishing hormones, and he had 5 homes already and awaiting a new one at the bird store. Three months go by, we're pals, then one day...:( I regret never taking the phrat home, but then again I knew Bokka (rip) wouldnt have liked seeing a bird go from being friendly to a terror. He (Bokkababy) was only ever aggressive to other birds when they were aggressive to him or me.) I do wonder about Jellybelly, and how he's doing...

I do think taking it slow with him, and target/clicker training him will really help Thomas out.
Thanks for the heads up Mercedez. It's good to know about these things. I want to avoid being bitten at all costs by him. HIs bites were truly unpleasant!!

I haven't asked Thomas to step up yet. It's too obvious to me that he wouldn't be ready or comfortable with that type of request. I feel optimistic.:) I sense he craves the attention and additional stimulus. In fact I honestly don't think he misses his old home at all.

Last edited:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i think alot of the birds here know that step up means but all were not taught it was a good thing,so you have some that say ..step up then if your hand is offered...crunch with the OWWWWW DONT BITE right with it.That tells me alot about the bird right away,no choices were given...but on the other hand you have the ones like Mikela(handicap Macaw)who can not walk but will...swim...to someone get up on her one good leg her other one pointing up like a lobster claw,opening and closing ..saying step up...she really wants you to pick her up..

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Tanya! Of course you would know very well.:hug8:

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
The Quakerr jump at us to step up before we have a chance to even say it sometimes or will if we don't say it. They are very eager to please. Cinna steps up 90 percent of the time unless he has a tude. He will always fly to us though. The rehomes are getting it.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At the moment it is obvious that Thomas Red Bellied does NOT like hands, is not comfortable with hands. He will bite with all his might (very viciously) and flails about in stressful panic. He also manages to lose alot of flight feathers and hurts himself during all this. It's pretty distressing to witness.:(

I am pretty certain that the excitement of having a parrot disappeared in his last home so gradually but surely they stopped handling him, hence this is why he is the way today.

At the moment he feels safest in his cage. I will make more time today to target train him. I will use everything I know from Barbara Heidenreich trainings. If it worked for my other parrots, can't see why it won't work for Thomas.

My goal with him is to help him feel that being on my hand is an awesome place to be. I don't want it to be a COMMAND, instead introduce my hand as a great CHOICE to take.

I am certain that he would like to feel better about being around me, just doesn't know how to go about it and needs some encouragement.
I think you'll do well with him, Saemma. :hug8:

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Have you tried having him step up on a stick or perch?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nala knows it very well,and its rare that she won't happily step up. If she's not in the mood and its only because I want to pick her up to spend time with her,I'll walk away and come back a little later and then she always steps up. I'd never had to ask her more then twice.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
He sounds a little bit like Aspen CAG, although Aspen isn't a biter. He gets really nervous if you move to fast around him and will trip over his own feet to find a safe place to hide in his cage if he thinks anything is not quite right with the world. He loves me but not so much Jon. I leave the cage door open for him every day but rarely will he come out. He likes to sit in the door but if you approach him, he goes back in the cage. He will let me pet him and depending on the day, will want to be pet all over. He will also put one foot on my hand for stepping up but just can't seem to bring himself to bring the other foot up. We've successfully gotten both feet on my hand a few times but then he steps right down again. I just take it at his pace.

Paarthurnaax

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kira Myrick
Our two 'toos step right up without even having to be asked. Our silly little 'tiel is a bit picky about it. Sometimes he'll just hop up without being asked, sometimes you have to ask him a few times.

The funny thing about it is that he always goes "Step up!" or "Come on!" before hopping up onto our fingers! :lol:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They know well, usually we don’t even need to say step-up, unless they are being stubborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.