• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to wean cockatiels off of seeds?

burntsaliv

Moving in
So both of my birds were recommended to start a pellet vegetable diet by the vet so I purchase Tropican for cockatiels. They ate it but not too much, and my male cockatiel likes it more than the female one. I tried everything for her, I offered it in her favourite bowl put cinnamon on top of it, made mash, grinded pellets on top of carrot, and even tried giving warm soaked pellets. She did eat it when she was in the mood but wasn't exactly for it, so I'm genuinely wondering what's the next step? Should I taper off the seeds a little bit? Or start doing the 50/50 blend? Mind you when in the seed bowl she will not even touch a pellet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Opinions differ on best diet for tiels. Since they're granivors, I believe they need seed in their diet. So I feed about 50% seed, 15% pellets (actually nutriberries) and the rest vegetables. I have better luck with my tiels eating nutriberries rather than regular pellets. You can also try making birdie bread and adding pellets to it. And my tiels love freeze dried vegetables.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Since she does recognize it as food, and will eat it when needed, I’d say that’s half the battle. Just very slowly cut down on the seeds and increase the pellets. Why did your vet recommended to cut out seeds? I don’t think cockatiels do well on so many pellets because it can be hard on their kidneys. I aim for my birds to eat 50/50 seed/pellet ratio.