• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to start moving your bird with step up?

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
SO, I have an Indian ringneck. Her name is Dora, and she's my first parrot (not the best choice as a beginner, I know, but I was kinda forced into this) and we've made progress. She doesn't enjoy being with me but she isn't scared of me. She's never bitten me or lunged at me or shown any aggressive behaviour towards me.

Anyways, she will step up on my hand for some food. I'm just wondering, how do I start moving her around while she's on my hand? A little while ago I got her used to stepping up on a perch and as soon as I started moving the perch while she was on it she lost all of the trust we've built.:bash:

What are some methods that made your parrots like you and enjoy being with you? And like I've mentioned how do I move her around when she's on my hand? And how do I get her to accept being scratched on the head?
I've had her for three months and she's now 2 yrs old if that helps.

Thanks in advance!:fairy3:

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. It actually sounds like you're doing well with her. Two months really isn't that long. Building trust can be a slow process. Have you looked into target training? If you go on you tube there are some videos showing how it's done. Your IRN might like that. As for scratches, some birds never like being scratched on the head. I don't think IRNs generally are very hands on birds. But that doesn't mean they don't like spending time with you. Some birds just don't like being touched.