• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to regain my bird’s trust

AceTheBudg

Moving in
Real Name
Ariyana Holt
Hi, I had gotten my first budgie (Ace) a new friends since our conure passed away back in March. I had got her another budgie to play with and we named him Pochi. Ace really enjoyed Pochi being around and I got some mom points for being cool and they started to both get used to me, to the point where they would fly on me. Well two weeks after Pochi arrived he had gotten really sick so we took him to the vet and they had to be separated for a week. Well after a week and they were able to be back together they both stopped trusting me. They run away every time I come around and won’t even eat out of my hand anymore. I’ve tried starting over but its just not working. Any advice on what I should do??

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Time and patience. :) Try sitting near them with a favorite treat near you. You can even sit and read to them. Just spend some time near them without directly engaging them. Make sure they see the treat- millet, seeds, whatever they like. And see if they come closer. You can also see if they're let you hand feed them some millet through their cage bars.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I've been target training with my girl as she's been gaining trust in me and that's really helped a lot. That way they don't have to come too close and they start to associate you with a treat.