• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to have a quiet(er) bird

trypcruz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
I'm totally new to birds, and I don't have one yet, but my current plan is to have a quiet-ish** parrot in my apartment and to help with the quiet by preventing boredom. Ideally, I want to eventually feed my parrot 100% by foraging using a rotation of toys with varying difficulty.

1. How feasible is this?
2. Will this do anything to keep a parrot from being so loud?

**I don't mind a noisy parrot that talks/whistles/squeaks/chatters all day. I want to work to minimize loud screaming and high decibel sounds.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
:roflmao:

Good luck with that! Either you luck out, or you don't.
Each parrot is different, and many yell for the fun of it.
Others yell for attention.
And others for reasons you'll never know.

And sometimes you get a nice quiet parrot, but don't count on it, nor expect it.

Also, are you looking for budgie/cockatiel sized birds.
Or amazon/macaw/cockatoo sized birds.

The smaller ones can chatter all day.
The larger ones can rattle your windows and be heard down the street. ;)

And yes, foraging and toys help.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I'm totally new to birds, and I don't have one yet, but my current plan is to have a quiet-ish** parrot in my apartment and to help with the quiet by preventing boredom. Ideally, I want to eventually feed my parrot 100% by foraging using a rotation of toys with varying difficulty.

1. How feasible is this?
2. Will this do anything to keep a parrot from being so loud?

**I don't mind a noisy parrot that talks/whistles/squeaks/chatters all day. I want to work to minimize loud screaming and high decibel sounds.
e

I don't know about the quiet part because it seems as though all bird have periods of extreme loudness, usually in the morning and early evenings. I mean my U2, tiels, and parakeets were not all day screamers, but they did have their moments.
I found that with my too a set routine was essential to keeping the noise level down.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I like to put music for my birds and they tend to either listen or softly chatter to it

Last edited by a moderator:

trypcruz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
:roflmao:

Good luck with that! Either you luck out, or you don't.
Each parrot is different, and many yell for the fun of it.
Others yell for attention.
And others for reasons you'll never know.

And sometimes you get a nice quiet parrot, but don't count on it, nor expect it.

Also, are you looking for budgie/cockatiel sized birds.
Or amazon/macaw/cockatoo sized birds.

The smaller ones can chatter all day.
The larger ones can rattle your windows and be heard down the street. ;)

And yes, foraging and toys help.

The very largest I'm considering is a Meyer's. More likely, it's going to be a bourke's, a parrotlet, a green cheek conure, or a cockatiel. Eventually I think I want an african grey. But I need to be consistently working from home, not living in an apartment, and all around more settled down.

Oscarbird

It kinda depends on the bird's personality and of course, noise level (eg. Macaws being louder than a budgie)
I didn't think lovebirds would be NOISY, (I definitely underestimated the noise level) but Oscar can scream so loudly that you can hear it from the patio underneath my room. He'll also chirp really loudly if he's happy or wants something. Foraging helps, but you can't have them forage for the entire day because your bird might get bored of that and scream to let you know that they want to do something else. Overall, there is no "quiet" bird in my opinion but that might be just me. ;)
Also, I'm speaking from my own experiences here, in no way am I an expert of the noise level of certain bird species. :)

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
some of the little guys can be the loudest! i got my gcc because i wanted to ease back into birds after my pairs passing, i read a lot about how they’re super quiet and easy. BUT my girl is very very very loud i can’t imagine being in an apartment with her at all. that being said this can be done, maybe go to a rescue and tell them ur requirements? every bird is different and counting on one specific trait can become an issue for both you and the bird. :)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
For better or worse, parrots are loud pets. Some are louder than others. And even the loudest parrots are not loud all the time. But ultimately, if you plan on getting a parrot, you are getting a loud bird. There are many pets (including some birds) that are quieter than a parrot - there very few noisier ones.

If you are sensitive to loud noises or can't have a loud pet due to your living situation, I would give serious consideration to if a parrot is a good choice. And also recommend thinking about what you will do if you end up getting a loud parrot and it is too noisy for you to handle. Do you have a backup plan?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have always primarily forage fed.

My Jardine's whistles and beeps and would be a perfect apartment bird.

My Quaker screamed 8-12 hours a day. ( I wish I was joking).

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
You've gotten a lot of good advice already, I just wanted to say- making noise seems to be pretty integral to the experience of being a bird. Wild birds have what we might consider an "ideal" level of enrichment in the sense that ALL of their food must be foraged, they fly miles every day, and they have all the social stimulation/flock interaction they could want. But wild birds still find the time to make all kinds of racket! I think pre-selecting for a bird whose natural range of sounds you can tolerate (or ideally enjoy) is a much better plan than thinking you can engineer around their inherent desire to make those sounds.

trypcruz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
You've gotten a lot of good advice already, I just wanted to say- making noise seems to be pretty integral to the experience of being a bird. Wild birds have what we might consider an "ideal" level of enrichment in the sense that ALL of their food must be foraged, they fly miles every day, and they have all the social stimulation/flock interaction they could want. But wild birds still find the time to make all kinds of racket! I think pre-selecting for a bird whose natural range of sounds you can tolerate (or ideally enjoy) is a much better plan than thinking you can engineer around their inherent desire to make those sounds.

My plan is to do both! I'm looking for a bird with a quieter personality AND I want to use enrichment to keep them from being bored/distressed and screaming. Also I think that lots of these answers don't make a distinction between noisy and loud. Finches are noisy, but they aren't loud. Most macaws I've met aren't very noisy, but they're extremely loud. I'm fine with noise. In fact, with some birds, I really enjoy their chattering away. What I don't like is loud screaming. Some flock calls in the morning/evening are fine. I just don't want to need hearing protection because my bird went quit screaming.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@trypcruz -- that's a really good point... [diff between noisy and loud]. Also you mentioned noise being high-pitched. For example, Patagonians can be loud, but the ones I have been around were not high pitched, but more guttural, low-pitched noises. [too long ago now, for me to accurately remember, but I know I tried to get one].

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
This thread is kind of in my wheelhouse, with the apartment living, looking for quiet birds, and then you mentioned Bourke's as one of your possibles for the trifecta. :)

My plan is to do both! I'm looking for a bird with a quieter personality AND I want to use enrichment to keep them from being bored/distressed and screaming.
I have a pair of Bourke's. They live in an indoor aviary. While I don't do a lot of intentional enrichment activities for them, I'd say they have fairly busy schedules during the day. They are quiet birds. Most of the time if people can hear them in the background it's a pleasant, relaxing sound. But, they're not always quiet. They're twilight flyers so there's a lot of swooping around at (their) dawn and dusk. I say "their" because I use blackout curtains to regulate when their day begins and ends, mostly so they don't start yelling for breakfast at actual dawn. And, that's the thing, they can be quite noisy at those periods. Mustrum, particularly has a rather piercing whistle call. He's more likely to do that in the evening, but sometimes the mood strikes and they both start exercising their lungs in the middle of the day. And, yes, I've been on calls and felt the need to apologize for my noisy birds. It's not the neighborhood shaking yell of a Macaw or an African Grey, but the neighbors next to me probably know when Mustrum's got something on his mind.

Anyway, if you narrow it down that you're definitely interested in Bourke's I'll be happy to join in on that thread and share my experience.

One thing I would say here: if you think there's any possiblity that you might decide to get your bird's wings clipped, please don't get Bourke's. They're not good climbers and they love to fly. I absolutely believe they should only be kept in situations in which their need to fly is respected.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The very largest I'm considering is a Meyer's. More likely, it's going to be a bourke's, a parrotlet, a green cheek conure, or a cockatiel. Eventually I think I want an african grey. But I need to be consistently working from home, not living in an apartment, and all around more settled down.
I think while keeping a bird mentally stimulated, by things like foraging, certainly make a happier bird, it doesn't mean you'll have a quiet bird. My cockatoo screams because he likes to. Seriously. And the minute the sun comes up- even though he's covered, he still knows- he's screaming because he wants his day to begin. Out of those mentioned, I think bourkes and cockatiels are quieter. And parrotlets, just because they are so little, aren't "loud". But foraging to keep a bird happy is a good idea.

Gabby22

Meeting neighbors
Parrotlets, on the most part, are quiet birds and are recommended for people who live in apartments. Of course, there are some that are nosier than others, but I doubt that any parrotlet can reach the noise level of some of the larger parrots. Just do a lot of research on any bird you are interested in to make sure if they are the right bird for you! Good luck!

trypcruz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
This thread is kind of in my wheelhouse, with the apartment living, looking for quiet birds, and then you mentioned Bourke's as one of your possibles for the trifecta. :)

I have a pair of Bourke's. They live in an indoor aviary. While I don't do a lot of intentional enrichment activities for them, I'd say they have fairly busy schedules during the day. They are quiet birds. Most of the time if people can hear them in the background it's a pleasant, relaxing sound. But, they're not always quiet. They're twilight flyers so there's a lot of swooping around at (their) dawn and dusk. I say "their" because I use blackout curtains to regulate when their day begins and ends, mostly so they don't start yelling for breakfast at actual dawn. And, that's the thing, they can be quite noisy at those periods. Mustrum, particularly has a rather piercing whistle call. He's more likely to do that in the evening, but sometimes the mood strikes and they both start exercising their lungs in the middle of the day. And, yes, I've been on calls and felt the need to apologize for my noisy birds. It's not the neighborhood shaking yell of a Macaw or an African Grey, but the neighbors next to me probably know when Mustrum's got something on his mind.

Anyway, if you narrow it down that you're definitely interested in Bourke's I'll be happy to join in on that thread and share my experience.

One thing I would say here: if you think there's any possiblity that you might decide to get your bird's wings clipped, please don't get Bourke's. They're not good climbers and they love to fly. I absolutely believe they should only be kept in situations in which their need to fly is respected.

I would actually love to know more about Bourkes!!! I've been seeing them more and more, and they seem cool. But when I try to learn more, they come off as "no personality" and "short lifespan". What is their personality like?

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Maybe you should go to a shelter with some birds (if you can, I know I can't) and meet every bird then you could decide which bird fits you the best

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
The people who respond with things like "all birds can be ___" or "no bird is really ___" .... are unfortunately totally right

lafeber.com says:
"The Senegal parrot is part of a family of birds well known for their outstanding pet quality, quietness and remarkably calm temperament."

Haha. My wonderful sennie is LOUD, re-active, and MEAN :laugh:.

I totally get what you mean about noise vs loud though.
My budgies are not usually loud, but they are constantly making noise. Chattering and chirping and bickering. They do kind of get loud sometimes though. They have the ability to make a high, slightly sharp call that does carry through the house when they get worked up about something. It has gotten on my nerves once or twice.
Also some budgies really like loud toys - bells, things that clatter and bang against the bars. I lucked out that mine hate bells and never bang things.

To be fair, the sennie is generally much less noisy than them .. he talks a little but doesn't make much other noise, until he gets a bug up his bum and starts shrieking. This is generally veyr short lived, but it's definitely even louder and sharper than the budgies.
Right now our quietest is the amazon, who is neither noisy nor loud - he is silent most of the day and just makes a cute beeping noise when he is begging for food or time out of the cage. But we really lucked out there too. He definitely has the potential to be loud, he is a closet talking and when we're playing loud movies we can hear him start laughing loudly in the other part of the room.

trypcruz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
Parrotlets, on the most part, are quiet birds and are recommended for people who live in apartments. Of course, there are some that are nosier than others, but I doubt that any parrotlet can reach the noise level of some of the larger parrots. Just do a lot of research on any bird you are interested in to make sure if they are the right bird for you! Good luck!

Thanks!!! I'm definitely doing the research. I think right now, I'm between a parrotlet, a green cheek conure, and a cockatiel. I'm thinking about Poicephalus still, but it seems that the small ones end up phobic and shrieking all the time.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone on here complain about a cockatiel yelling or screaming? I've definitely seen some conure concerns posted.
Tiels are good whistlers though, that might be considered high pitched.