• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to handle situation.

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think Lucy, our amazon, longs for a human/bird relationship like the one we have with our tiel. Our tiel hangs out with us a lot. Watches movies, walks around, rides on shoulder etc. Over the past week and a half Lucy's attitude and interest level has changed. In fact, she almost seems jealous of our tiel.
We've tried taking her out and having her spend time with us but then she retreats to her cage or gets grumpy. My husband tried giving her treats but she just lunged at him. Today she was especially cranky so she just sulked all day long in her cage or on top of her cage.
She also almost got our tiel. The tiel has been practicing flying and thought it would be awesome to fly to Lucy. Lucy didn't think so and almost got her. The tiel redirected mid-flight.
How do we help Lucy feel more loved?
I would love to spend more one on one time with Lucy but as much as she shows interest, she's still hesitant to hang out.
How should I handle this?

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you do things with her when she hangs out with you such as playing with a toy with her, reading a book with her (my macaw loves looking at the pictures in magazines and books), or something? I think if you give her something she can focus on other than the attention you are paying to her (treats, scritches, conversation) she would soon learn to get past her hesitation. I've been dealing with this with one of my birds lately. Gandalf (macaw) only likes to be on me for short periods of times but because our other bird is always on or near me now he seems a bit put out by it. I've been trying to spend more short visits with him away from his cage/playstand making sure I have something for him to do that will help occupy his mind. We've gone from just a couple minutes up to about 15 at one time in the past couple of months.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
My zon hens love to spend time on my shoulder just chilling there and preening my hair every now and then. Why don't you try doing that while you are at the computer or watching TV?

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My zon hens love to spend time on my shoulder just chilling there and preening my hair every now and then. Why don't you try doing that while you are at the computer or watching TV?
We do not trust Lucy enough to do this. We've tried and she's bitten glasses. I mean she was going to snap them trying to chew them up like a wooden toy. I believe she also bit an ear. And the biggest thing is that she doesn't really like being touched. Our tiel gets handled all the time, passed from person to person. If I was cooking but took her out of the cage took her to another room and needed to go back to the kitchen I'd simply hasnd her off or I'll get near that person's shoulder and she knows what to do. Lucy isn't okay with changing persons. In fact, she is a still weary of everyone.
@Shyra - I'm going to have to try reading to her and handing her chewing toys. She's still scare/weary of toys. They somehow take her out of her comfort zone.....she's so conplicated :bag: I'm definitely going to try. You can tell she's had a change in mood/personality like she's jealous and I feel bad. My tiel also looooooooves to "sing" in the morning and I think it grinds Lucy's nerves :lol: