• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get my 5 year old cherry head to step up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Checking out the neighborhood
I rescued a 5 year old cherry headed conure a little over 2 weeks ago from owners who could not take care of him anymore (and who didn't take very good care of him in the first place). His name is Ozzy, he seems like he's doing really well, especially for having never really been taken out of the cage. He gives kisses through the bars, let's me pet his beak when he's on his perch, and he's actually decided to come all the way out of his cage a few times! When he is all the way out, he seems like he understands the step up command but doesn't want to be on my hand for too long. When he is in the cage and I try to do it, he just runs away and occasionally will try to bite. I know it will take time for him to adjust to everything, but what should I do to help him be comfortable with me taking him out of the cage?

Attachments

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Go slow. Give him time. Try to get him to come to you rather than going for him. My favorite way to start is just by getting a bird to take a treat from me. It can take a while for that to happen if the bird is just not used to being handled. Go slow. Let him want to come to you.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
He is so pretty!

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Definitely a gorgeous parrot. Find out what motivates him - find his favorite treat. Do not let him have that unless he will come towards you to get it. Take it slowly - a step at a time. Let him just step towards you first for it - then little by little work towards getting him to take favorite treats from your hand (if you are not already there yet).

I am sure there is a sticky out here regarding positive reinforcement training. I would try to write up the steps for you but I am at work ;).

It can be the case that even with the very best training efforts that a parrot may never offer to step up for you. If that becomes the case, you will need to alter your goals. They might include how to get the parrot in and out of his cage when you want that without stepping him up... just a thought...

good luck and keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.