• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get a bird used to be caged more often.....???....

Roo bird

Meeting neighbors
My bird has his own room....he has a cage in there that he goes in at night (I close and cover it) and sometimes during the day I find him in there relaxing. Problem is I feel kind of bad that he is alone so much....I have cats so if he's not in his room I want him caged! I have a nice big cage set up in the living room with lots of perches, toys, ect...but he doesn't like to go in...usually he will run up my arm a few times before I get him in. Sometimes he will be ok in there but never more than 15 min max then he starts screaming and hopping from perch to perch frantically. Also if I leave the room even for a second he screams until I come back. I also have a small portable cage that he seems to like better...I take it from room to room with me and usually he is ok for a while especially if he's getting talked to or fed! He is a wild bird that I rescued so I feel bad caging him all of the time. That is how he came to have his own room...I leave him unsupervised during the day which makes me very anxious sometimes....I would like to start caging him for longer periods of time...any suggestions?? I feel terrible when he screeches and starts getting frantic, I have read that the best place for a birds cage is in a part of the house where the family is a lot....I can't decide if I think it's better for him to be alone a lot of the time but calm and content or to try to get him out of his room more often and into a busier part of the house...:confused:

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
maybe you could move the bigger cage to "his room" so he could explore it and get used to it a little more in his own time? Then when he feels more comfortable in it move it back out.

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
My roomate has a Sun Conure who haaaated his cage initially. He is very, very food driven, so we would often put his favorite snacks in there, in plain sight. He was placed on a stand near the cage, so that he could see the treats, and the door was open so that if he wished, he could venture in to snag a snack.

Well, before long he was coming in and out of that thing like a champ, and so we went further. Every time he was put /in/ the cage, he got a favorite snack. (Sliced apples and a fruity nutri-berry) Now he occasionally walks himself to his cage when he wants to enjoy a treat and some quiet time. It has become a nice little safe haven for him. I am not sure how food motivated your boy is, though. Best of luck!