• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to find The Practical Pionus book?

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
Does anyone know where I can buy this book or would anyone like to sell me their copy? I'm bringing home a very shy 7 month old BH soon and I would really like to read this book beforehand! I found a new copy for over $200 and a used for over $90 which seems a little crazy. The practical Pionus website doesn't work either. Thanks in advance for any help!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hmmm, If I remember correctly the author is possibly a member here or someone has posted their email as I believe you can purchase that book directly from the person who wrote it....I hope I have not got the wrong book.

Is this of any help?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Looks like he was selling the book for $30!!!

Here's some info...

rshade@fusemail.com

All content copyright 2003-2019 Mindo Press, LLC.
Mindo Press, LLC
73 Lafayette Ave.,
Palmerton, PA 18071

Barnes And Noble also sells it for $30... but of course they are out of stock...

@Jan might you know anything about the book or author?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
That link still works and yes he's a member here. He doesn't post often but he pops in now and then to catch up and remind people he still has books available. I bought a new one from him one of the times he popped in even though I already had a good used copy. I wanted the extra picture cd now included and help support him directly.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
OK, I lied;) but he does respond to emails and he has several posts here that may have a more recent link to his books as I followed one of the ones he put up and got my book pretty quickly.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Cool, we're just glad he's back and semi active again. I got my first pair of Maxi's in 78 and there was NOTHING out there about them but they were such sweet natured birds I fell in love and have had one ever since. His book is so helpful and a great read with good stories along with the info.

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
I'm looking forward to reading it! This baby is sweet but so, so shy and I'm hoping I'll be able to glean some good info from it to make his homecoming as good as possible

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm looking forward to reading it! This baby is sweet but so, so shy and I'm hoping I'll be able to glean some good info from it to make his homecoming as good as possible
Just take it slow and no demands at all before he has settle in well. Let the cage be his and don't train him in their.
Be nice, talk soft, be funny in a calm way. Play with toys that can make him interested. Eat near him if he feels comfortable with that. And no eye contact.
Let him have out of cage time every day and allowed him to fly. Give him good food and some treats daily so he understand that you are a person to like and trust.
Don't let any other go near him until he has settle in if he doesn't want it. (seeking for their company himself)

The thing I like about Pionus is that you must earn their trust before becoming friends. They are normally shy, and can take a long time to bond to a new person.
If you just give them time in the beginning it will go much faster then if you demand things and make them feel uncomfortable. It will take so long time to repair things to a Pionus, just because they are so sensitive.

Once you have earn their trust you have the best friend in the world. Trust me! ♥

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yep, once they decide your trustworthy and a friend you have a loyal friend for the rest of their life, but you have to earn it unless you get lucky and they pick you. Dobby picked my sister, Lurch and Nerd picked me in time and would follow or fly after me like feathered puppies. All of them are similar but their own souls so they have their own personality. Lurch was mad at the world and quick to bite at first, Nerd I was his world, Dobby likes everyone he meets but sister is his beloved once he discovered she looks like his mom and does cool stuff in the kitchen with food. They usually are food motivated.

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
That is some very good advice, thank you! I knew they were shy and reserved but I don't think I realized the extent of it. I'll make sure to slow everything down and let him decide

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That is some very good advice, thank you! I knew they were shy and reserved but I don't think I realized the extent of it. I'll make sure to slow everything down and let him decide
And I will look forward to read all about him and see pics when he is home with you. ❤