• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to feed an old betta?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello,

I have a betta fish called Blue and he's getting on in age. I've had him 2 years but no idea how old he was when I got him. Still a very long time for me, keeping a fish alive!

I say he's old because his scales aren't as brilliant as they were before. He had been battling fin rot for the longest time and it sort of just stabilised and in the past year, some new fins grew back. I actuay thought he'd die but he's been a real fighter.

Anyway, he's been slowly getting more lethargic and I passed it off as old age. He'd still swim up for food and get all excited but recently he's just been resting on the gravel floor. I push his pellets down so they'd sink in front of him but he's either too slow or doesn't see it. Once it's on the floor, he doesn't go for it either. Any ideas on how I can feed him? Or do I just prepare for his 'time'? :(

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That's old for a Betta. They are not long lived fish.
Try some tuba flex worms, or brine shrimp.
You can buy them frozen, sometimes fresh.
Mine used to love fly's that I swatted. If still kicking, the better.
I did love that fish. He had personality.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You might try freeze-dried tubifex worms. They come as cubes that can be pressed against the glass so the food doesn't just dissappear into the gravel. For a single betta, I recommend breaking the cube into smaller pieces so you don't have too much uneaten food floating around.

Also, have you check your water parameters lately? If not, I would recommend checking to make sure everything is as it should be and possibly doing an extra water change and tank clean out.

Although the average lifespan of betta fish is only a few years, they are capable of living for much longer. Many bettas are kept under poor conditions, which favor a short lifespan. Two or three years is young enough that I would suspect illness or water quality problems, rather than old age and natural decline.

If water quality is good, perhaps treat empirically with a general antibiotic and antifungal product, like BettaFix.

Here is a decent article on common illnesses and treatments for bettas:

If he is in a tank with other fish, it would be best to move him into a "hospital tank" during treatment. Monitor the other fish for similar signs of illness.

clarousel

That's old for a Betta. They are not long lived fish.
Try some tuba flex worms, or brine shrimp.
You can buy them frozen, sometimes fresh.
Mine used to love fly's that I swatted. If still kicking, the better.
I did love that fish. He had personality.
Yeah he used to jump for my finger and go for any flies that landed in the water!

clarousel

You might try freeze-dried tubifex worms. They come as cubes that can be pressed against the glass so the food doesn't just dissappear into the gravel. For a single betta, I recommend breaking the cube into smaller pieces so you don't have too much uneaten food floating around.

Also, have you check your water parameters lately? If not, I would recommend checking to make sure everything is as it should be and possibly doing an extra water change and tank clean out.

Although the average lifespan of betta fish is only a few years, they are capable of living for much longer. Many bettas are kept under poor conditions, which favor a short lifespan. Two or three years is young enough that I would suspect illness or water quality problems, rather than old age and natural decline.

If water quality is good, perhaps treat empirically with a general antibiotic and antifungal product, like BettaFix.

Here is a decent article on common illnesses and treatments for bettas:

If he is in a tank with other fish, it would be best to move him into a "hospital tank" during treatment. Monitor the other fish for similar signs of illness.
I'll have a look in the shop. I just worry all the food would just end up on the gravel uneaten.

I'll test the water today! So far no issues and I do a 30-50% WC weekly. I have bettafix so I could dose that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My bettas would go crazy for frozen bloodworms. Might be worth a go. Otherwise, yes, he might just be ready to call it a day

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yeah 2 years is not old for a betta. However, the time they spend in poor conditions (like those little cups) can have a large impact on their longevity.

Merlin da

Strolling the yard
If he can't find the food, then you could try using stainless steel reptile feeding tongs to place the food directly in front of his mouth. I used to feed my african dwarf frogs like this because they also couldn't find food, even if it was at the bottom of the tank.

clarousel

I'll try the worms if I can get some on the way home from work!

Yeah 2 years is not old for a betta. However, the time they spend in poor conditions (like those little cups) can have a large impact on their longevity.
Yes, he was in a nasty cup when I got him for who knows how long :(

If he can't find the food, then you could try using stainless steel reptile feeding tongs to place the food directly in front of his mouth. I used to feed my african dwarf frogs like this because they also couldn't find food, even if it was at the bottom of the tank.
I tried that this morning with my plant scissors (dangerous I know but I was desperate). He didn't seem to see it either. I'll experiment with chopsticks.

Could it be that he's losing his sight?

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I had a betta who went blind. He had a 20g tank and could never find his food either, so I got a mesh breeder basket and just put him in it for a few minutes during feeding time. That solved the problem with him, so it could be worth a shot... even if it sank he could still find it easily enough at the bottom of the basket.

clarousel

I had a betta who went blind. He had a 20g tank and could never find his food either, so I got a mesh breeder basket and just put him in it for a few minutes during feeding time. That solved the problem with him, so it could be worth a shot... even if it sank he could still find it easily enough at the bottom of the basket.
How did you make the mesh basket? Did you get him in with your hand or a net?

clarousel

I tried sticking the cube of tubifex worms on the glass but it doesn't stay on for very long before floating up to the surface. No luck with getting Blue interested in it.

Last night he swam up for a pellet but missed it and went back down to the gravel floor. :(

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've found freeze dried daphnia, bloodworms, mysis or brine shrimp work well. For some, fish flake food is easier to see than pellets. Simply skim off the excess when he's eaten some. Blow on the water to make it move more; this helps.

Lifespans vary. Don't be down. They're sold at 6 months to a year old usually & some are much more inbred than others, to establish new mutations or colours. All this plus the aforementioned cups & general shipping conditions affect it too.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
How big is your tank? Do you have a heater? Are his fins very long?
2 years isn't very long for a betta, but if you got him petco or petsmart, then he will probably not live as long as a fish you get from a breeder or reputable aquarium store. Their fish aren't the strongest, unfortunately. :(
Do you have a betta hammock? It's a plastic leaf that sticks to the glass using a suction cup. You can put it up near the surface so he has something to rest on. My betta loves to sit on his.